New to Boondocking. When traveling where do you keep your generators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just purchased two new 2200 Hondas for boondocking. Right now we have them in the belly of our 5th wheel but they take up a lot of space that we need for storage. Where is the best and most secure place to store generators. Thank you.

Well, your using the same area I do as generator storage, so....I got noth’n!

While nothing is impervious to a determined thief, we use a tempered chain and tempered lock to secure our 50 gallon propane tank to part of our 5th wheel frame! Hopefully, it will send a potential thief to “easier pick’ns memtb

I installed a front hitch and mount it there. You could fab up a mount for two or use a big enough basket/tray. Mine stays there and can power the trailer while still on the front hitch.

Locking them gets tricky.
Cable locks can be defeated easily. In the hood this is a lesson every boy gets: how to steal a bike with scissors. Cables are nearly useless. There are special locking tray devices for these Honda's that are much more secure. Anything can be defeated, but there are better locks than others.

Just buy a trailer with a built in genny - problem solved.

Our first trailer we bought with a built in genny i said " oh i doubt we will use it much" i was wrong very very wrong
Our new trailer has one and we put 80hrs on it this last year

steveblonde has struck gold! That answer works for every single question ever posted in the RV forum! Genius or dumb blonde luck?

Just go buy a new RV!
Simple yet effective!
Just go buy a new one!

One member here made converted an aluminum tool box in the bed of his truck to hold the gen while running. He fabbed up a hold down, an exhaust fan, and a way to hook it up to the rig while still in the tool box. Not sure what he did if he wanted to take the truck and drive off.

One truism is that any cable or lock can be easily defeated if you are determined. One beach RV park I stayed at in CA had a big sign posted on the kiosk when you pulled in. It said to place all generators inside the RV every night due to thefts. Several had been taken in the middle of the night and had been chained.
I had a Honda 3000 at one time that I carried in the front of my 5ver in the generator bay. It had a metal box that came with the rig but no built in. I had a buddy that did HVAC work fab up a custom duct for the exhaust port and plumbed it outside to vent. Then I could open the front bay door and run it from the inside. The 3000 weighed about 130 pounds, so it would have been no easy feat to wrestle it out with the exhaust screwed into the side of the rig. I used it for about a year until I traded up to my first MH.

We have two champion generators, one lives in the front locker, the other in the side locker for traveling. If only stopping overnight, the front locker generator is on a slide so we can easily pull it out to use. If staying longer, whichever generator we want to use goes under the front overhang and is chained to the chassis.
Would you mind sharing what chain and lock you use? I’ve seen chains come in a strength size. 70 seems common and hard for bolt cutters to go through (determined their probably cuts through the generator itself with that?)

And needs a lock to fit through the chain links.

My generator says have 5ft from the RV so I guess I need 10ft chain really.

Hanko, without giving too much away, in our case the chain and padlocks are not the weakest link. That's why we never ever leave them unattended (ok, in as much as they're outside and we're inside during the evening) and just chained. If we leave the unit for the day the generators go with us.
As others have correctly stated, if someone is determined, nothing will really stop them short of a booby trap😣

Hanko, without giving too much away, in our case the chain and padlocks are not the weakest link. That's why we never ever leave them unattended (ok, in as much as they're outside and we're inside during the evening) and just chained. If we leave the unit for the day the generators go with us.
As others have correctly stated, if someone is determined, nothing will really stop them short of a booby trap😣
Yes I’m sure you are right about someone who wants it. I might do the booby trap (joke) but I am terribly bad at electrics so it could easily be live/hot on the handles…

We store our propane 2000 watt champion in the subtrunk of our Tesla SUV. And our Coleman propane stove as well. Completely disappears. No one knows it’s there. Now you see it.

088393DE-B021-48E9-A2DC-9731967427AD.jpeg

Now you don’t.

2D4F4330-D6E3-427B-9F36-767A45CE7A8C.jpeg

It’s just a little thing though. Doesn’t take up much room.

B7C9DE78-19D0-4574-B656-12A4563EFC0F.jpeg

Ours are in the storage bays too. I keep them in the original boxes. Out of sight....I put less valuable items in the truck bed.

Cable locks can be defeated easily. In the hood this is a lesson every boy gets: how to steal a bike with scissors.
The overwhelming majority of kids who grow up in under served communities in America, mostly in poverty and through no fault of their own are just like any other kid. Most go to school, and get through best they can just like your kid, and most don't study how to steal bikes by cutting cable locks. Besides, kids from the "Hood" aren't likely lurking in the underbrush in podunk, wherever with a pair of bolt cutters. It's more than likely two meth heads, skeeter and bubba, in a pickup truck with Kid Rock blaring from the radio and here's the shocker, they don't even resemble one of those trained thieves from the "Hood".

Reactions: SMR
Most times I will just keep mime in the bed of the truck and I use a cable lock to secure it to one of the corner D rings. If I'm away from the campsite hunting or riding my atv I can close the tonneau cover and lock the tailgate so you don't see anything in there. For when it's running I can just open the tailgate and maybe roll the tonneau up a bit for ventilation. On the occasion it rains I've run the generator fully protected under the tonneau with just the tailgate down to allow air in and out.

Handy to keep a gas generator in the trunk of a Tesla, never know when you might need a recharge.
I keep mine by the tailgate in my truck, cable lock to secure it. Our second night on the road met a couple and he had a box mounted on back of his 5th wheel, housed 2 Honda gens, and a 6 gallon gas tank. There is a kit available to feed both tanks from one and give more run time. He vented the box, the box is lockable.

Handy to keep a gas generator in the trunk of a Tesla, never know when you might need a recharge.
I keep mine by the tailgate in my truck, cable lock to secure it. Our second night on the road met a couple and he had a box mounted on back of his 5th wheel, housed 2 Honda gens, and a 6 gallon gas tank. There is a kit available to feed both tanks from one and give more run time. He vented the box, the box is lockable.
Re the generator in our Tesla. 😊. I can’t imagine trying to use this generator to charge our Tesla. It’s a tiny generator and would be soooo slooooowwww. 😂. It’s great for charging the trailer battery after 3 or 4 days under the trees with no sunshine on the solar panel though. I would think one would want to bring some kind of 240 volt 10 kw generator for charging an electric vehicle. I’m sure they make them…but they wouldn’t fit in the sub trunk. 😊

This...along with a correctly sized tow chain will thwart about everybody...7300 series. American Lock A7300 Padlock, Factory Keyed

A7300__23513.1587587433.jpg

Back
Top Bottom