Noise from others when full-timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The other have pretty well covered it, but let me reiterate that choice of camping location determines noise levels as well as most everything else. Overall, though, I think your sound-level preferences make an RV a poor choice. They are inherently less soundproof than a single family dwelling, and you have to accept the fact that in nearly all campgrounds you will have neighbors, often close ones, many of whom will be transient guests, some of whom will come and go multiple times daily to shop, sight-see, etc.  Some of them may have children (unless you choose an adult only park), and most have at least occasional maintenance noises, e.g. lawn mowing, weed-whacking, etc.  I've also observed that RV parks are often near RR tracks, perhaps because they need lots of inexpensive land.

Others have mentioned "boondocking" as a way to avoid noisy neighbors, but that is a mixed bag because you often have to give up basic services (electric/water/sewar) or be far from shopping and work (if that is a consideration).  Here and there may be an ideal campground that combines all of the best attributes while providing full hook-ups and easy access to city life, but they are relatively rare - and often expensive as well.

You forgot the number one noise offender.  Dogs barking.  Everyone says their dog is a saint and never does that.  Walk strange dogs past other strange dogs and you get barking from one party or the other. 

I agree with most of what the others have said.  You have to put up with some noise because these things have thin walls.  On the other hand, you can do some things to reduce noise:

- Avoid weekends, weekdays are much quieter.
  - Select a spot as far away from boat launches, restrooms, and other people. I tend to find a spot way in the back.
  - Avoid campgrounds near highways.  (I check Google for this.)
  - State parks and national parks that have larger, more spread out sites are quieter.

On the other hand, in my past year of full-timing, I have been woken up in the morning by some strange things: braying wild donkeys, birds walking with very large feet (apparently) on my roof, and one very noisy woodpecker who thought my roof was a tree.  Nighttime sounds have been owls and coyotes.

Got to live with some community noise, however, unless you can afford to buy your own site way away from everyone else.
I don't mind trains and other non-human noises.

Bobtop46 said:
You forgot the number one noise offender.  Dogs barking.  Everyone says their dog is a saint and never does that.  Walk strange dogs past other strange dogs and you get barking from one party or the other.

I sure did forget dogs!  Good point, maybe I can edit my post.  My mother is, now in her 80s, enjoying the "peace and quiet" of her neighbor's loud (and "deep voiced") barking dog, that can be heard easily even in her basement. 

gwcowgill said:
Noise is something you hear by listening. Get involved in anything that will get you mind off the noise. Having worked around airports for years, I don't hear the airplanes. Teaching I only heard the distress in a voice not the normal clamor. Train your brain.

Thanks, but that's not going to happen. 

What?? NO trains??  ??? :( There is NOTHING more peaceful than the clickety clack of steel wheels over the rails, and the 2 longs..1 short...1 long, for the right of way when the train nears a crossing.

I can sleep peacefully through any train noise. Music to my ears!!  ;D

Gary RV Roamer said:
The other have pretty well covered it, but let me reiterate that choice of camping location determines noise levels as well as most everything else. Overall, though, I think your sound-level preferences make an RV a poor choice. They are inherently less soundproof than a single family dwelling, and you have to accept the fact that in nearly all campgrounds you will have neighbors, often close ones, many of whom will be transient guests, some of whom will come and go multiple times daily to shop, sight-see, etc.  Some of them may have children (unless you choose an adult only park), and most have at least occasional maintenance noises, e.g. lawn mowing, weed-whacking, etc.  I've also observed that RV parks are often near RR tracks, perhaps because they need lots of inexpensive land.

Others have mentioned "boondocking" as a way to avoid noisy neighbors, but that is a mixed bag because you often have to give up basic services (electric/water/sewar) or be far from shopping and work (if that is a consideration).  Here and there may be an ideal campground that combines all of the best attributes while providing full hook-ups and easy access to city life, but they are relatively rare - and often expensive as well.

Thanks, Gary, and everyone else.  All very helpful. 

The thread has made me think that probably RVing is not for us.

I had originally come to the idea because of the idea that I could move my home away from noise whenever I wanted, but it's become clear to me that

a) Moving "on a dime" due to noise is not as feasible as I had originally imagined (due to having to pay in time blocks at camping sites and the hassle of getting on the road again whenever noisy situations rear up, which apparently is often). 

b) Encountering significant noise is likely in the RV life.  (And no, earplugs are no help to me; been there, done that).

c) The possible benefit any reduction in noise (such as when camping in remote areas) is probably outweighed by the demands of RV life, which strike me as considerable in comparison to house living, as well as the reduction in conveniences that more populated areas offer.

RVs still strike me as fun and something that is attractive in its own right, but seem to fail the noise test, and so I'll need to factor that into my considerations and it seems to be pointing to a "no", at least for now.

Thanks again!

On another tack...

Extreme noise sensitivity is often one of the symptoms of many parasitic diseases.

I have lived overseas and had parasitic diseases, clear that up and the noise sensitivity goes away. Americans are not immune from parasitic diseases, but docs often totally overlook them.  Thankfully I was seeing a "bush doctor"  he was a real American trained doctor, but he had worked around the world so he spotted my real problem.

I used to go near crazy around noises, but no more. I still prefer nature over manmade noises any day, but I am so grateful now that I am no longer overly sensitive to noise.

I joined fulltime RVing with not much thought, I needed a fully furnished place to live and well, I got into a used RV and turns out I love it.

Good luck in your future!

DearMissMermaid said:
Extreme noise sensitivity is often one of the symptoms of many parasitic diseases...I have lived overseas and had parasitic diseases, clear that up and the noise sensitivity goes away. Americans are not immune from parasitic diseases, but docs often totally overlook them.  Thankfully I was seeing a "bush doctor"  he was a real American trained doctor, but he had worked around the world so he spotted my real problem....I used to go near crazy around noises, but no more. I still prefer nature over manmade noises any day, but I am so grateful now that I am no longer overly sensitive to noise.

I just have to ask, if you don't mind:  what parasitic disease are you referring to?

Although that's certainly an interesting idea and I appreciate the suggestion, alas I think the only parasites involved in my noise issue at the moment are the people who live across the street.

Side note: During the summer I spend half my time in an "older" park where most of the campers, like the park, are Older (A few kids) and half the time where I am now, a "Younger" park but in terms of .. Well 5 years ago the sites on this side of the lake were not even on the drawing board and the average age in the park, Lots and lots of teen and younger, this park caters to kids.

The major "noises" (the ones I mostly hear) are bird and insect calls from the woods out behind the site.... Now,,, Some might consider that noise (Without quotes) I am an old farm boy and that is music to my ears.

The kids I have not noticed at all.. The birds come in even over the sound of the air conditioners. (but then we feed the birds.. It's called the Feline Entertainment System (Bird Feeder hanging outside a window the cat likes to look out).

Other sounds.... (Good wi-fi here so Pandora is running on my phone).. Yesterday at Church Dr. Amanda (DVM) decided to play a prelude... Clair de Lune.  My mother used to play that (And beautifully) all the time on the piano at home.. She was really very good (Better than Dr. A in fact at piano)  That was lovely too.  I told her anytime she wants to play that when I'm sitting there... Is just fine with me.

Wonder how many folks could ID that tune?  I mean I know 2, one of them lives in England though.

You might just try a day trip with a picnic lunch into a remote area and see if it passes the noise test.  If it does, proceed with the RV thing....renting one first.  Yes, RVing in the boonies does require more effort (actually different effort) than S&B living....but nothing too overwhelming. 

Truth is, there are now over 7 billion rapidly replicating human primates walking the planet.  Eliminating noise altogether is going to prove to be a tall order.  The wife and I had acreage up by Arabela, NM that was very remote and extremely quiet......but even then, twice a day the school bus went by, once a day the UPS truck, and on occasion military aircraft would fly over.  We're talking less than 1% of the time were their any noises other than nature, but there were noises.  The highway was almost a half mile from the property....but sound carries out in the country. 

As for me, A good set of Sony headphones, some classic rock, a frosty beverage under the Ponderosa Pines, and the rest of the world ceases to exist.

Frizlefrak said:
You might just try a day trip with a picnic lunch into a remote area and see if it passes the noise test.  If it does, proceed with the RV thing....renting one first.  Yes, RVing in the boonies does require more effort (actually different effort) than S&B living....but nothing too overwhelming. 

Truth is, there are now over 7 billion rapidly replicating human primates walking the planet.  Eliminating noise altogether is going to prove to be a tall order.  The wife and I had acreage up by Arabela, NM that was very remote and extremely quiet......but even then, twice a day the school bus went by, once a day the UPS truck, and on occasion military aircraft would fly over.  We're talking less than 1% of the time were their any noises other than nature, but there were noises.  The highway was almost a half mile from the property....but sound carries out in the country. 

Thanks.  Just to help you calibrate how my mind works, your NM situation, if it really was two vehicles a weekday, sounds like paradise to me, noise-wise.  I would be droolingly happy in that sort of situation, and would gladly "endure" the few seconds of hearing a UPS truck and bus rumble by a half mile away each day. 

Chelonian said:
Thanks.  Just to help you calibrate how my mind works, your NM situation, if it really was two vehicles a weekday, sounds like paradise to me, noise-wise.  I would be droolingly happy in that sort of situation, and would gladly "endure" the few seconds of hearing a UPS truck and bus rumble by a half mile away each day.

The place really was wonderful.  We used to park our fifth wheel up there and leave it year 'round.  We had a well and a septic, so we could essentially stay up there indefinitely....or until the generator needed gas.  At night, there was ZERO light pollution....the canopy of stars was amazing.  And hearing a vehicle at night was rare.  The highway dead ended at mile post 17....unless there was a reason to go back into the canyon, nobody did.  We sold the place last year.  It was a tough decision, but it got us 100% debt free....not even a mortgage.  It was big.....33 acres....too big really....but the solitude was almost unnerving.  The nearest neighbor was 2 miles away.

I too am currently in a very pleasant and mostly quiet RV park (Thousand Trails near Hershey, PA). It is a large park (282 sites on 200 acres) with 4 separate areas for campsites, paved roads (less noise and dust),  and pool & clubhouse & recreation areas isolated form campsites. Still, when people walk by my site talking, I hear their voices even if the RV windows are closed. Each morning around 11 a.m. some RV's depart, making vehicle noises. And later in the afternoon, some more RVs arrive and seek out a site, perhaps circling a couple times to find the one that suits their needs. There are geese in the ponds - they sometimes honk when excited. Cars come and go as people go about their daily errands or sight-seeing.

I call it quiet, but it's far from silent .

Boy... No one has been camping in Central Idaho where I typically go. My next door neighbor is miles away. The closest road noise in 100 yards away. The only thing I typically hear is stream/creek noise and birds chirping. No hook ups (not required), no cost for RV space, Etc. Just the RV and mother nature.

I can't stand most RV parks neighbor is closer to you than my normal stick & bricks, all the listed noises that the OP listed, cost of the parking there isn't worth it. I did find a awesome RV park in Emmett, ID that has only 7 slots but your limited to 3 day stay which is fine because typically no one stays very long, there is only water and power hook ups.

But personally boondocking is the only way to go.

We have been at an RV park in western Washington for a week, (No pool, No Playground) Clubhouse barebones, no video games, real adults only park.
Seems to be children here with full time residences, but no noise, even on the weekends when the familys come in, most say as they leave,"WE won't be back, no place for the kids to run and play"
Darn !!

Chelonian said:
I'd like to get a little poll here about your experiences with noise from other people while living (or staying) in your RVs.  As my other post described, I am a major noise-o-phobe and this is a real make or break issue for me.

The answer to your question is NO and NO!!!! The RVing life is not right for you, sorry!  :(

Scott  :)

Edit: Reduced unnecessarily long quote.

Noise not all that much problem for me... Brats keying cars (including the front of my motor home last night...... I kind of hope they do it again tonight... Had I known in time, I'd have video of them doing it.. Oh well.  I'll wait till Sat to delete Friday's video.

Oscar Mike said:
I've been on nightmare camping trips boon docking at Lake Mead when at midnight a clown on a boat cranked up The Doors and let it rip until 6:00 AM.
I would have dug out my fins, snorkel, mask and hand drill then quietly paid that boat a visit......... You'd be amazed at how easy it is to drill a half dozen 1/4" holes through fiberglass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom