Noise from others when full-timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously, a poll isn't going to give you a satisfying answer.  Rent an RV, and try a few trips.  Personal experience without making a permanent commitment is the best way to find out if the noise is something that you can deal with.

Wavery said:
I would have dug out my fins, snorkel, mask and hand drill then quietly paid that boat a visit......... You'd be amazed at how easy it is to drill a half dozen 1/4" holes through fiberglass.

You can stay submerged that long with no tanks expending that kind of physical effort?  You're a better man than I.....I probably would have just swam under him and capsized the damn boat.  Then again, I'm a big doors fan, so the tunes wouldn't have bothered me in the first place.  :)

Frizlefrak said:
You can stay submerged that long with no tanks expending that kind of physical effort?  You're a better man than I.....I probably would have just swam under him and capsized the damn boat.  Then again, I'm a big doors fan, so the tunes wouldn't have bothered me in the first place.  :)
That wouldn't be nearly as much fun as going back to camp and watching as the boat fills with water.

One can drill a 1/4" hole through 1/4" of F/G in about 10 seconds with a small hand drill.  ;D

Wavery said:
That wouldn't be nearly as much fun as going back to camp and watching as the boat fills with water.

One can drill a 1/4" hole through 1/4" of F/G in about 10 seconds with a small hand drill.  ;D

Oh, I'm not questioning my drilling skills....my onboard O2 capacity is another thing entirely.  ;)

I guess you missed the "snorkel" reference.  Done properly and at night a mask and snorkel is pretty stealthy - especially if there's other noise in the vicinity.  ;)

If you are anyplace on the Colorado river in the spring through the late fall, you will have lots of noise from the partying boat crowd.  I suspect the same would be true on most river/lake etc. resorts across the US.

Great Horned Owl said:
If he boondocks, then he will have to listen to generators, even his own.

Joel

We boondock for weeks at a time and only need a generator for AC. I can't hear even our loud generator when I'm inside with the AC running. We camp at high altitude to avoid running it for even that.

Other than that our battery charging is taken care of by a simple inexpensive solar set up so the only noises we hear other than nature are the ones we make.

The earlier poster is right about campgrounds. The last ones we were in we had the whole loop to ourselves Sunday evening to Friday afternoon. It was as quiet as when we boondock until the weekend crowds showed up and then all bets were off.

Chelonian said:
I just have to ask, if you don't mind:  what parasitic disease are you referring to?

Although that's certainly an interesting idea and I appreciate the suggestion, alas I think the only parasites involved in my noise issue at the moment are the people who live across the street.

Many parasitic diseases do have this as a side effect (extreme sensitivity to noise). Since this isn't a health forum I won't go into detail about the dozens and dozens of possible parasitic diseases in humans that cause this. While many people can repel parasites, others can get them and not even know it until it's too late (the onset of many other diseases).

Some of the well known parasitic diseases are Malaria and Dengue Fever but that is just the tip of the iceberg.  These strains offer such horrific symptoms that people are often correctly diagnosed because they dash to the doctors who are aware of the more popular parasitic diseases. But other parasitic diseases may produce more subtle symptoms that mimic many other things.

There are many herbal remedies to treat parasitic diseases besides the prescriptions, so it is possible to treat thyself.

Some parasitic diseases are not easy to test for or take weeks to get results or they are frighteningly expensive.

I have some heavy duty ear muffs that I sometimes have to use to combat extreme noises, but thankfully I am no longer overly sensitive. I really think if you cured the severe noise sensitivity you could enjoy a lot more in life and possibly RVing too.

In the last year the only time I needed the ear muffs was while workamping 3 months. They assigned me a loud ATV for hauling garbage on a 4 mile round trip. The ATV made this horrific noise at a certain pitch that made me extremely irritable. Once I got the ear muffs, the irritability vanished and I actually enjoyed the wild ride down dirt roads to haul the garbage with my doggy riding along but I felt bad he didn't have ear muffs too.

parttymer said:
What?? NO trains??  ??? :( There is NOTHING more peaceful than the clickety clack of steel wheels over the rails, and the 2 longs..1 short...1 long, for the right of way when the train nears a crossing.

I can sleep peacefully through any train noise. Music to my ears!!  ;D

Trains run on welded rail these days, not much clickety-clack unless you are near a switch or other track appliance.
The horns these days are tuned to an F# and it's a harsh sound.  I liked the earlier B-flat models.  You have to be
around the horns for a while to be able to ignore them.  The first few nights near a RR Crossing can be long nights.

We camp at Isleta NM and you cross the tracks to enter the RV park.  We park way to the back, and I still hear the
horns.  I worked 42 years on RR and it's not music, trust me.

THE-BigLarry said:
Trains run on welded rail these days, not much clickety-clack unless you are near a switch or other track appliance.
I live 285 yards from a railroad track; no clickety-clack; plenty of very low frequency rumbling that lasts for minutes and wakes me up a few times a year.  Irritating.
The horns these days are tuned to an F# and it's a harsh sound.  I liked the earlier B-flat models. ...I worked 42 years on RR and it's not music, trust me.
I agree; the horn is harsh and alarm-like and I look forward to when we move far from a track (these past 5 yrs have been the only time I've ever lived even remotely close to one). 

I'm not a full timer, but I can relate.

Tried the CG thing way back when.  That is when I learned it wasn't going to work for me.  Bought properly next to a river over 20 years ago and have been there ever since. 

Some of us like to be awakened during the night by the sound of owls or a couple of raccoon's fighting.  Not the neighboring site's argument or bickering.  No more kids cutting through the site while the parents sat in front of their site drunk on their butts.  No more dogs off leash leaving land mines on my site.

In other words, if Mother Nature wakes me up during the night, I enjoy it.  It usually equates to something worth checking out and probably taking pics of.  Not losing sleep and getting mad about the neighbors.  My 2 cents.

denmarc said:
I'm not a full timer, but I can relate.

Tried the CG thing way back when.  That is when I learned it wasn't going to work for me.  Bought properly next to a river over 20 years ago and have been there ever since. 

Did you then have to build a house on that property, or was it already there, or...what?  I am curious about that type of option (and how to do it) so although it is rather OT, I hope the forum wouldn't mind if I asked you.

Dogs...Dogs...Dogs...

I don't mind the occasional woof.  I do draw the line at continuous barking.  Most of the time it happens when the owners run to town for a few hours and leave  Li'l Pooper locked inside or worse yet leave the little beggar tied to the RV and go off.  I can take care of those, just a ball of hamburger and a half dozen or so happy pills mixed in.

I may have been lucky so far because the two parks we stayed in for 3 months each had very strict dog rules and brooked no  violations, one complaint and you were given an hour to vacate. 

10:00 PM was the noise reduction cut off too.

Tom Hoffman said:
Dogs...Dogs...Dogs...

I don't mind the occasional woof.  I do draw the line at continuous barking.  Most of the time it happens when the owners run to town for a few hours and leave  Li'l Pooper locked inside or worse yet leave the little beggar tied to the RV and go off.

Agreed. 

Just becase you think your yapping little monster is the cutest thing in the western hemisphere doesn't mean the rest of us do.  If it barks more than twice, there's a problem.  Correct the problem.  There have been a couple of times when I wanted to silence the damn thing personally....and permanently.  I like dogs....but they need attention from their owners, or they're going to quickly become a nuisance. 

Some people just have zero consideration for others.  The world revolves around them. 

Frizlefrak said:
Agreed. 

Just becase you think your yapping little monster is the cutest thing in the western hemisphere doesn't mean the rest of us do.  If it barks more than twice, there's a problem.  Correct the problem.  There have been a couple of times when I wanted to silence the damn thing personally....and permanently.  I like dogs....but they need attention from their owners, or they're going to quickly become a nuisance. 

Some people just have zero consideration for others.  The world revolves around them.

X2

Chelonian said:
Did you then have to build a house on that property, or was it already there, or...what?  I am curious about that type of option (and how to do it) so although it is rather OT, I hope the forum wouldn't mind if I asked you.

No house or cabin.  Bought unimproved acreage next to the Little Muskegon River out in the woods.  Bought a 37' Jayco TT and plopped it on blocks. Battery and genny power. 

My whole point was that we discovered early on that doing the campground thing wasn't for us.  We did enjoy checking out different places and meeting new people.  But it seemed all too often that some campers just didn't realize, or care, just how much noise they were making.  We chose a different road and decided to surround ourselves with Mother Nature instead of other peoples screaming kids and barking dogs.

We discovered the joy of AC noise when the next door site's occupants were crying, yelling, or playing loud music. 
Creates a kind of "white noise" that puts us to sleep besides cooling us! :)

denmarc said:
No house or cabin.  Bought unimproved acreage next to the Little Muskegon River out in the woods.  Bought a 37' Jayco TT and plopped it on blocks. Battery and genny power. 

Thanks for the info.  One follow-up question:  If it is unimproved land, what do you do about sewer, phone, internet, water, garbage?  And the propane is enough to heat it way "up there" in MI? 

(And now that I know you are in a TT, this is back on topic.  :D )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom