Onan genset cranks, will not start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wbilotta

Genset cranks while I hold the Start button, shuts down and the start button light flashes three times.  I push Stop and then the light flashes three times then twice indicating error code 32 which is low cranking speed or oil issue.

The genset is cranking just fine and will crank as long as I hold the Start button but after a few seconds it stops cranking.

Changed the oil and filter, no help.  Model# 7hgjab-900a.  Main gas tank is topped off so it's not a fuel issue.

Suggestions?

I recently had the same error code. After 3 repair attempts Cummins diagnosed the problem to be the control board. Replacement of the board resolved my problem. I have read that it could also be caused by the connectors going to the control board having possible bad connections. Try reseating the connectors. The board is located by the air filter.

wbilotta said:
Genset cranks while I hold the Start button, shuts down and the start button light flashes three times.  I push Stop and then the light flashes three times then twice indicating error code 32 which is low cranking speed or oil issue.

The genset is cranking just fine and will crank as long as I hold the Start button but after a few seconds it stops cranking.

Changed the oil and filter, no help.  Model# 7hgjab-900a.  Main gas tank is topped off so it's not a fuel issue.

Suggestions?

Either it cranks as long as you hold the button, or it stops after a few seconds. Please clarify.

May I suggest:
First verify the oil level is good. Verify battery is fully charged.
Now, hold the start button for one second, release. Then press the Stop. Verify the blink code.

1. The battery may not be able to sustain the cranking over time. and if it stops while you're holding the button, you would likely get the 32 code.
2. The oil level sensor may not be reading correctly, so you get no start.
3. need to verify the Spark, and that fuel is getting to the carb.

LarsMac said:
Either it cranks as long as you hold the button, or it stops after a few seconds. Please clarify.

May I suggest:
First verify the oil level is good. Verify battery is fully charged.
Now, hold the start button for one second, release. Then press the Stop. Verify the blink code.

1. The battery may not be able to sustain the cranking over time. and if it stops while you're holding the button, you would likely get the 32 code.
2. The oil level sensor may not be reading correctly, so you get no start.
3. need to verify the Spark, and that fuel is getting to the carb.

Cranks as long as I hold the START button but does stop cranking after a few second even if I continue to hold the START button

Just changed the oil and filter, oil is full. 

The cranking does not slow down so I don't think it's a low voltage problem w/ the batteries but I will connect a charger just in case.

Is there a way to bypass the low oil pressure switch to rule that out?

I loosened the fuel drain screw under the float bowl and let the fuel leak out for about five seconds.

The light flashes three times then twice. 

ETA: I metered the OPS and it shows continuity to frame but opens when I crank the engine.  Disconnecting the OPS lead made no difference.

ETA: I connected a battery charger directly to the genset and cranked, no change

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvaRidge
Back
Top Bottom