Personal Protection While Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When threads like this one pop up, I am reminded of the number of times in my life that violent crime has came close to me, either through proximity, or socially, though thankfully never directed at me personally. These include in no particular order:

1, 7 people found dead in an apartment in the apartment building next to the one I was moving out of back in the early 1990's.

2, My sister's boss being killed in a home invasion at his vacation home in the virgin islands.

3, Same sister along with about 20 other people witnessing a woman being kidnapped in a grocery store parking lot (woman was never found)

4, My parents neighbors also owned a ranch in Oklahoma, the husband would go up there for weeks at a time to get away from things, one time he went up and found escaped prisoners living there, they killed him and kept staying there until they were caught a couple of weeks later when the cops went to check on him as his wife had not heard from him. ...

About the only CA state gun law I support (which has so many stupid gun laws, it confuses law enforcement perhaps the most of all) is the CA safety Certificate. Proves you know enough about guns to own one. I do have it, also the NV CCW.

I am considered a legal resident of both states, CA and NV and I am one of the very few who may legally buy guns in two different states. And have.

I have the CA Real ID and the Nevada's Driver's License.

“The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law. " -Judge Benitez

-Don- Auburn, CA
Slightly off topic, but can you legally vote in both states?

Why? What has the NRA done to deserve that category? I'll be interested in whatever you can bring to us to support your opinion, and I'll read with an open mind.

P.S.: I'm not a member and I think Wayne LaPierre is an idiot.
I am a member and I think LaPierre is an idiot. LOL.

Not so. Gator, with respect, I think you're gathering information with your imagination. Here's one contradictory fact: The NRA backed the Federal Firearms Act of 1938. The NRA supported the NFA along with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), which together created a system to federally license gun dealers and established restrictions on particular categories and classes of firearms.
I remember when the NRA was at the forefront of gun safety and training. They advocated for gun control laws that made sense, and individual gun owners provided the majority of the funding. Then came their politicization. These days the individual gun owner definitely does not provide the majority of funding; the NRA is now funded almost completely by gun manufacturers. What do gun manufacturers want? More gun sales! No one should be surprised that the purpose of the MRA is to fulfill the wishes of its major donors.

NRA is now funded almost completely by gun manufacturers
Try a fact check on that.

“Less than 5% of NRA’s operating budget comes from the gun industry including everyone from Bass Pro Shops to Billy’s Gun Shop,”

“The overwhelming majority of our funding comes from membership dues and donations,” said Dalseide. The NRA currently has 5 million members, whose fee sits at $45 a year (or $75 for two years, $100 for three, and $150 for four)."

-Don- Auburn, CA

When it comes to gun laws, I have no problem with basic gun safety training laws, as long as they are not prohibitively costly (should cost less than say $100-$150), they are lifetime valid (no re-training every year or two at a cost of $500), they are limited to the practical issues of gun safety, ie the mechanics of shooting, and don't get into suicide prevention, guns should be stored disassembled in multiple locks safes, etc. and that any target practice requirement be something that 99% of the population can pass after a short period of training, ie hit the broad side of a barn at 50 feet.

When I grew up we had mandatory hunter safety classes shooting BB guns in 8th grade, this covered basic gun safety, target shooting, etc. and that hunter safety card is still valid today, and is required to get a hunting license in my state, in fact I ordered a replacement card online a few years ago just to have one.

Personally I would support having a mandatory gun safety class using live firearms at the high school level, as I feel a lot of the gun hatred in this country is due to lack of hands on familiarity with the subject, ie fear of the unknown.
Storing guns as you suggest is hardly a prudent defense strategy, but you do what best suits you. Just don’t mandate I do what best suits you.

This is the United States of America. Here, you don’t have to make your intentions known before buying a gun or exercising any other rights.

Yep. Another great reason why people who have made their intentions known by being violent and committing prior crimes shouldn't be allowed to purchase or own a gun.

Unfortunately if you want to dissect the crimes committed across the country, there are areas with fewer gun laws but targeted cities in those states that deals with organized gangs that runs up the numbers of violent crimes. Those people do not abide by any law . When they wish to shoot someone, most of the time the guns are illegally owned or acquired by the shooter.

For me though i abide by the new method that we hear about a lot now. I always carrying my social worker that has two degrees and doubled at a medical professional most of her life. If she can't talk someone out of shooting, which we are told that works these days, at least she is really good with putting bandaids on bleeding areas of the body.. :p:p Happy New Year folks, See you on the road,,,
How do you know she is a she?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom