Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Mtn Mike's near my Auburn, CA as well as my Reno, NV house.

But just now went to their website.

I now see, by far, most of them are in CA.

They use a different (white) sauce on the Pineapple Chicken Luau Pizza. It goes good with the pineapple, chicken and bacon. No tomatoes. Tomato sauce would be lousy on this pizza, IMO.

But I am sure you will not find it in Italy! IMO, the better Pizzas are made right in the USA anyway, even if far from original.

-Don- 79765
Closest one to me is Lewisville, TX, 2 states away.

In an episode of Blue Bloods, Erin Reagan ( Ass't DA) is telling her investigator, Anthony, who is Italian, that her favorite pizza is Hawaiian. Anthony says " anyone who'd put pineapple on a pizza is dead to me".
Well I am dead then. I love me a Hawaiian Pizza. In Australia when I was a kid they also cracked an egg in the middle.

One thing I can't tolerate on a pizza is anchovy. I love a little in a Caesar salad but a whole meal of it - yuck.

A high school GF turned me on to English Muffin Pizzas in the 70's. A little spaghetti sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni or whatever and a few minutes in the toaster oven.

One thing I can't tolerate on a pizza is anchovy.
Yep! IMAO, fish does NOT belong on pizza! Especially a sal****er fish. It totally ruins the flavor, unlike fruit!

EDIT: why doesn't this forum like the word S A L T W A T E R?

Yeah, I know what the four missing letters spell out.

-Don- 79765

Well I am dead then. I love me a Hawaiian Pizza. In Australia when I was a kid they also cracked an egg in the middle.

One thing I can't tolerate on a pizza is anchovy. I love a little in a Caesar salad but a whole meal of it - yuck.

A high school GF turned me on to English Muffin Pizzas in the 70's. A little spaghetti sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni or whatever and a few minutes in the toaster oven.
I learned about those in the 70's, too. I haven't made any for many years. I should do that again.

Ah.... who says you can't put fruit on a pizza?

Click here.
That link only takes me to a page with a bunch of fruit plates.

There are only a few things that should be allowed on that crust and have it still be defined as "pizza" - meat (any kind), cheese(any kind), and a half dozen different vegetables...and kale isn't one of them. Neither are carrots, celery, or peas.

A place in our town does a pizza with potato on it. It doesn't work for me. Potatoes do not belong on pizza either.
And don't get me started on the breadstick appetizers. What should we munch on while we wait for our thick crust pizza? More bread that tastes just like it, of course!

Hi and good topic,

We like to go to BJ's Brewhouse and buy the pizza on Mondays as it is half price. We get BJ's Favorite (large) for the 50% discount on Mondays.
We did exactly this last night..
Believe it or not, the best pizza I ever had, was from a little pizzeria on the back of a cruise ship... The little Italian guy could churn out some great pies... Especially the white ones...
Butch

We did exactly this last night..
Believe it or not, the best pizza I ever had, was from a little pizzeria on the back of a cruise ship... The little Italian guy could churn out some great pies... Especially the white ones...
Butch
Well in terms of style regardless of toppings my favorite is definitely wood fired thin crust where the edges come out just about black. I love me the crunch!

Not a fan of thick, deep or pan crusts - just too much "bread" per content. And "stuffed" crusts - Blech....

Believe it or not, the best pizza I ever had, was from a little pizzeria on the back of a cruise ship..
Why would anybody not believe that? The food on some of those cruise ships cannot be beat (or even matched) anywhere.

-Don- Odessa, TX (at the local Wendy's for breakfast).

Seilerbirds Homemade Pizza Recipe

Ingredients:

Pam
Flour
Bread dough
Butter
Spagetti sause
Cheese (x2)
Garlic
Pepperoni
Ground beef
Bell peppers
Onions
Pineapple
Olives
Mushrooms

also needed:

Oven
Pizza pan
Rolling pin
Pizza slizer
Brush
Paring knife

I am not a cook by any definition. I wave things and that is about it. Except for my pizza. During the mid 80s I bought a book about making a pizza at home. It appealed to me because the pizza parlor pizzas never tasted exactly the way I thought they should. I have modified my recipe many times until I got it exactly the way I want it to be. If you elect to try a make your own pizza then please modify the recipe to suit your own taste. All of the ingredients except for bread dough, spaghetti sauce and cheese is optional.

In the frozen foods section of your grocery store they sell frozen bread loafs in packages of three. Defrost one and bake it for hot fresh bread. However, one loaf will make a 16" large pizza thin crust or a 12" medium pizza thick crust. The huge secret to making homemade pizza taste great is in the crust. To get the crust perfect you will need to go to Walmart and get two pizza pans. You need to buy two (large and medium) because they are sold as a set. The ones you want have a bunch of holes in the bottom. This allows the crust to bake perfectly in a conventional oven. The holes are the secret.

Start 7 hours before you want to serve your pizza. Remove one loaf (they come three to a bag) and set it on your kitchen counter to defrost. Cover it with wax paper. It usually takes about 6 hours at normal room temperature for it to defrost, rise and be ready to use. Colder room temperatures require longer defrosting and warmer temps require less.

I use about a cup of each of most of the ingredients. About an hour before you wish to serve the pizza you can start preparing the rest of the ingredients. I put a paper towel on a plate and cover the paper towel with crumpled up ground beef and microwave it for about 3 minutes. Take 1/4 of a stick of butter and melt it in the microwave and add a pinch of garlic to it.

You can buy pepperoni either presliced or not. If it is not presliced then you should slice them. You need two types of cheese shredded. I buy a bag of preshredded cheese with two different types of cheese especially made for pizzas. Choose your two favorite types of cheese. One small can of pineapple chunks works just fine. Drain every bit of the sause first. One small can of sliced olives works just fine also. Drain all the juice.

Slice the garlic, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions to bite size. You've seen plenty of pizzas so you should have no problem determing the size to slice them to.

Once you have all the toppings ready to be used and the dough has risen then preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Now it is time to build a pizza. Most people do not have a large enough cutting board for rolling out the pizza so I clean off a large portion of my kitchen counter and sprinkle a large handful of flour on it. If you are in a motorhome and you don't have a large enough countertop space then you can put a clean plastic table cloth on the picnic table in your campsite.

Roll the rolling pin in the flour you have sprinkled on the countertop once and then take the bread dough and put it in the middle of the flour. Roplling the dough is the hardest part of making this pizza. Patience is a virtue here. When you start rolling out the dough it will be very elastic and spring right back into place after you roll it. Just keep on rolling until you remove the elasticity from the dough. Takes about five minutes. The hardest part is getting the oval shaped loaf to become a circle. I always roll the narrowest part of the circle. In other words if the widest part of the loaf was pointed east to west then roll north to south. There are two different ways for the crust to look when you are finished rolling. You can make it roughly the size of the pan for a thick crust with no lip or make it three to four inches larger than the pan for a thinner crust with a lip.

Once it is the size you want then fold it in half like a taco shell. Set the pan in front of the pizza by the seam of the taco shell and grab both ends of the dough and drag it onto the pan. Then unfold your taco shell and adjust it so it is laying properly centered on the pan. If you want a lip then roll the dough to form the lip. If you don't want a lip then take a knife and trim the excess that hangs over the edge of the pan.

If you have a lip then take the brush and brush the butter/garlic all over the lip. There are lots of different premade spagetti/tomato/pizza sauses on the market or you can make your own. Take the sause and pour a lot of it onto the floor of the pizza. It will take a lot more sause than you think. You want to end up with at least a 1/4 inch of sause covering the pizza. Use your brush to even it out as best you can. Next comes the cheeses. Sprinkle a nice heavy layer over the sause. Then take the garlic and sprinkle some all over. Next up is the pepperoni. I cover the pizza with them so you practically can't see the cheese.

Now all that is left is to add the rest of your toppings. The order does not matter. My order is ground beef, bell peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms and pineapple chunks last. If you really love cheese then sprinkle a bit more cheese over the top and toss a bit more garlic on top of that (have you guessed yet that I love garlic?). You are now ready to pop it in the oven. I am at sealevel and I am using an electric stove. I bake it at 400 degrees on the center rack for 22 minutes exactly. It comes out perfect. Your mileage may vary depending on the type of oven and your altitude. I use the lip of the crust to determine when it is ready. After 15 minutes I look at the lip once a minute until it reach golden brown.

Remove the pizza from the oven, turn off the oven and set the pizza on hot pad. Slice it into 8 slices an serve.

I have no idea what this pizza actually costs me to make. I would guess between $10 and $15 for a 16" pizza. But I am not making the pizza at home to save money. Enjoy!

Same with me! We should have gone out for pizza when we met a couple of years ago.

-Don- Odessa, TX
Haven't searched hard here but haven't found a good wood fired pizza either. Best I ever had was in Chicago.

I am hoping we'll meet again somewhere! Never say never...

I like both thin and deep dish.. Wood-fired, thin crust is probably my favorite though… BJs deep-dish is not bad… We used to have a couple of Unos Pizzerias (not Numero Uno) here in CA, but they are gone now.. And I liked there deep-dish a lot… I’m a bread guy, so if the crust is good, I like the deep-dish..
Butch

I was thinking the Chicago Style Pizza was the one with the thick crust that we do not like. But I just looked it up here.

" the lesser-known thin-crust tavern-style pizzas more popular with locals."

So I guess we have the same taste as the Chicago locals.

-Don- 79765
And true to form I am now getting pop-up ads for $400 Cuisinart Pizza Ovens - LOL... I even get ads on my tv stream.

One ad shows a really good looking sequence of pizza that looks wood fired - LOL...

Making pizza dough is beyond my interest level - LOL...

Back
Top Bottom