Portable Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatherof4

I’m a new RV owner and I need a generator. I’m looking at the Westinghouse igen4500df, opinions and advice are appreciated. What is the best place to buy from? Is Sam’s Club with extended warranty a good place?
Thanks

Size of generator and expected use plays a huge role in generator selection. After that you can narrow it down to make, model and price.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

When looking at specs be sure to look closely at DB ratings. Too many folks get really mad if your running a loud generator all day.

How you expect to use it is also a major part of what you should buy. With this one weighing in at 237# it will not be easily moved about. You haven't said what sort of RV you have but storage will be an issue. It is far more common in the RV community to go with two generators of a smaller size to be more easily moved and stored and you do not have to use the fuel for a large generator when only a small one is needed.

Whoever is the cheapest is the best. Extended warranties are almost always money thrown in the trash.
If you wait until weather starts to warm, then the winter people will sell their un-used generators on craigslist org or somewhere cheap.
Even slightly used ones are fine most of the time.
Otherwise we cannot help you or have any opinions unless you give us more details on what you plan to run, at what altitude, in what weather, how often, how you plan to store and carry it etc.

I disagree that cheapest is the best. What do you do if you need service and can't find it? The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten is just as true today as when written 160 years ago. I do agree that we need a little more information before making an informed opinion.

I disagree that cheapest is the best
Roy, please think before posting.....
The cheapest is the best. We are talking about one specific generator, not all generators. Whoever sells this one particular specific generator, the one we are discussing, is the best one to buy it from. why? Because for less money you get the exact same specific and identical generator as the one the other store sells for less...
If he had asked, what generator is best? Then I hope that the moderator would just delete the post all together for being so vague and senseless, but he is asking about one very specific model of one brand, which he named.
What do you have to add about this one specific model of generator? Anything?

Whoever is the cheapest is the best. Extended warranties are almost always money thrown in the trash.
If you wait until weather starts to warm, then the winter people will sell their un-used generators on craigslist org or somewhere cheap.
Even slightly used ones are fine most of the time.
Otherwise we cannot help you or have any opinions unless you give us more details on what you plan to run, at what altitude, in what weather, how often, how you plan to store and carry it etc.
Roy was answering an ambiguous reply "whoever the cheapest is best" it might have been better stated " whoever sells the westinghouse igen 4500df .... " would have been a more apropriate answer i think its you Alontheway should think first before posting

No, the topic is still the specific generator mentioned, not some imagined generic generator. You, too, must think before posting...
Also, it is not "whoever the cheapest...", I stated, "whoever is the cheapest", which suggest, whoever (a seller) is the cheapest (meaning, the cheapest on the mentioned generator) is "best" because best for the mentioned generator would be the best price. Unless you can think of other reasons to pay more for a specific generator like, maybe the seller gives free lifetime oil changes or free lifetime warranty against anything, but this is typically not offered for generators from any seller.
Again, to anyone else out there, please think, then just maybe don't post unless you have a comment about the specific mentioned generator being discussed. No need to make up other generators to talk about, start a new thread for a different question or for a different generator please...

I’m a new RV owner and I need a generator. I’m looking at the Westinghouse igen4500df, opinions and advice are appreciated. What is the best place to buy from? Is Sam’s Club with extended warranty a good place?
Thanks
What draws you to this specific unit? There are alot out there to choose from. It it price,availability,function? Please elaborate
Cheers steve

Thank you for the replies. I checked the weight again, it’s listed as 128 pounds empty. I like the idea of it being both gas and propane fueled. The generator has a decibel rating of 52. I’m also asking if buying from Sam’s Club is better than Amazon or some other place.

Thank you for the replies. I checked the weight again, it’s listed as 128 pounds empty. I like the idea of it being both gas and propane fueled. The generator has a decibel rating of 52. I’m also asking if buying from Sam’s Club is better than Amazon or some other place.
I know nothing about Sams club here are some other reviews Amazon has always treated me great. I have a built in onan 5500

Last edited:
I like the idea of it being both gas and propane fueled.
There are lots of brands/models that are dual-fuel - I have a Champion dual fuel, for example.

Have you analyzed your power needs and concluded that 3700 running watts & 4500 peak watts will meet your needs? And that this Westinghouse is the best one like that on the market? It's certainly not the only DF inverter-generator or the only one that can produce 3700 watts.

And defineitely consider the weight factor - often the best power solution is multiple smaller/lighter generators that can be connected in parallel when demand is high.

But if you have decided this is the brand & model for you, then shop around for price and any seller-add-ons that may be available. What is Sam's offering and how much? How does it compare to Home Depot, Acme Tools, Amazon, Power Equipment Direct, and other retailers of this model?

This looks like it would probably be a good model if you are needing to run an RV air conditioner, microwave and other larger loads, though if you plan to be more minimalist in your camping using the generator primarily to recharge batteries a 1000 -2000 watt inverter generator would likely be more fuel efficient.

Not cheap at all, but a really, really, really good generator: The Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generator. I have 2 of them, can pair them together and run absolutely everything in my 50 amp fifth wheel, exactly the same as plugged into 50 amp shore power. No difference. They can run 16 hours or more on 3.4 gallons of gas and are very quiet. Check them out before making a final decision.

Not cheap at all, but a really, really, really good generator: The Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generator. I have 2 of them, can pair them together and run absolutely everything in my 50 amp fifth wheel, exactly the same as plugged into 50 amp shore power. No difference. They can run 16 hours or more on 3.4 gallons of gas and are very quiet. Check them out before making a final decision.
I considered the Onan, but I’m thinking I want the option of being able to use either gas or propane. My reading leads me to believe the Onan and Westinghouse are the same manufacturer, just different packaging.

Thats a very good unit. We have seen the market create better inverter generators, including the Harbor Freight models, which can be returned directly if you have a problem unlike buying from Amazon if you want something that they now sell.

What is the appeal for an RV gen that runs on propane?
Any generator almost can be modified to run on propane, natural gas or gasoline. This is all done at the carb. The rest of the engine doesn't care unless you are using a two-stroke mix.

Save your propane for your furnace and your cooking, use gas for the gen, it is just so much easier to handle, buy, dispense and use, and the excess can be used in your vehicle at the end of the season or if you run out. lol

I’m also asking if buying from Sam’s Club is better than Amazon or some other place.
I have made purchases from both. I suppose that it would be somewhat easier to return it to Sam's but what is the probability of doing so? If price isn't an issue, buy where you are more comfortable.
My reading leads me to believe the Onan and Westinghouse are the same manufacturer, just different packaging.
From Generator Bible:
Yes, they are made by the same manufacturer. There are also other brands that look the same (Champion, Pulsar, and others). I read that Westinghouse has an issue with rust in the gas tanks but Onan recalled and repaired all of their generators. I also read Westinghouse has an issue with the electric choke and the customer service is terrible whereas Onan has repair centers.

Keep in mind that Onan designs their generator also and that manufacturer is building many different brands, but each is built to the specifications of the company it is built for.

Back
Top Bottom