Propane problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob C.

First off, my propane tanks are full. When I light my stove, I get a low flame and the flame tips are yellow. My water heater will light sometimes, and the furnace will not ignite. I'm thinking the gas regulator has gone bad. What are your thoughts?

Have you just switched, refilled or turned the tanks off then back on tanks since the last time you used your propane? If so you might try turning them off and disconnecting the hoses from the tank to purge the lines then reconnect and turn them on slowly. There's a small check valve in the hose that can partially or completely close if turned on too fast. Usually happens on the bigger tanks but can happen on 20lbers. If that doesn't work and you have a hose with a regulator on it like for an outdoor fryer try running the system off of that and bypass your onboard one. If it works properly I'd say it's your regulator.

Most hoses have a check valve in the Acme connector to keep propane from one tank from migrating to the other. The tanks also have an internal excess flow valve to limit the flow of propane. Your problem sounds like a bad regulator. Any
RV dealer can test the pressure from the regulator.
There was also a recall for some Wintec 6020 regulators.
1697296739182.png

Sounds like the regulator isn't putting out the right pressure, but before replacing it I'd shut the tank valve(s) off completely and then re-open. Sometimes the excess-flow restrictor in the valve doesn't open for normal flow.

Question: Does this system have an ASME (fixed) tank or DOT portable gas bottles with a crossover type dual tank Tee feeding the regulator?

System has two thirty-pound tanks Gary. I tapped the regulator with a hammer, and everything started working properly. Not taking any chances and I had a spare regulator and I replaced it. Now everything is working as it should. Thanks for the help and replies.

Back
Top Bottom