Pyrometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hes4all

I hope this is in the right location. A buddy of mine just about burned up his motor. Was pushing it to hard up some hills and the EGT got to high. My question is have any of you installed a pyrometer, and if so what brand and what temp do you run it too? I have a ISL 400 and I am trying to find out the safe limit for the EGT. Thank you.

I run Isspro EV2 gauges. I'm comfortable running up to 1200deg F on my Ford 7.3l.

The high limit on the temp will depend upon where the probe is located. If it's in front of the turbo it will run hotter, after it will of course read cooler. Most intelligent mechanics will put it after because if the probe fails you just spit it out the exhaust. If it's before the turbo will "process" it before it gets to the muffler.

Where mine is on my 7.3 if it were ever to get to 1,200 degrees I would have a lot of expensive repairs.

Banks recommends 4"past the turbo. When I put one on my old, normally aspirated 7.3, the Banks info said to tune for 1050*as a normal running temp. And yes, in that location, 1200 for any time could certainly cause catastrophic failure.

Unless you have got mods on the motor you shouldn't have any worries about pulling with how your motor came stock.  If the turbo got too much boost the waste gate will open. If the motor heats up too much and your radiator can't keep up with the heat, the engine software would most likely derate the power and cut fuel. 

Don't get me wrong, I think you can never have too much info about your motor. I run a VMSpc set up with a 7" display on my dash that gives me real time readouts of several different functions. But if just the heat coming from the turbo is a concern, running stock should present no unusual issues. 

I did have an Edge power box on a 04' Dodge Ram diesel that I had for a while and had a set of gauges on it. With a power box you can push right past the limits of safe EGT's in a heartbeat.

Having the pyro gauge in the exhaust manifold is much more accurate than post-turbo. You want to know what's happening with the pistons and the closer you can get to them, the better when it comes to reading the temp.

I suppose the sensor could break off but I've never heard of that happening.

Put it in the manifold where you are actually reading what the engine is doing. 1200 degrees is normally considered max, at 1500 deg you start cracking manifolds and other damage. On a stock setup you normally would not have to worry about EGT but if you are running a chip, you want to monitor. I still like to monitor on a stock engine myself. ISSPro is what I have run in the past.

Back
Top Bottom