RV being wrapped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's really something - looks great! I've got a couple questions if you don't mind... How well are the corners and edges attached - say, for example, around the grill area? Do they provide a warranty that covers things like the edges coming loose, bubbling or weathering? I didn't know wrapping an RV was even an option but, as good as yours looks, it might be for those considering a new paint job. Looks great Dougie.

Kev

Kev, see above for some of the answers.  The grill area inevitably had to be cut around and when you take a close look, you can see the joins etc.  But you have to bend down and peer.  For RVs whose body state doesn't allow a realistic paint job to make it look like this (just look at the pre-wrap photos of ours), this is a magical transformation.

Car Wraps have a good Facebook site with many examples of their work, including this short video. Hopefully this is ok to post it here.

http://youtu.be/BqnRV7cKBoM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/carwrapsca-vehicle-graphics/224688637546641

Would this work for motorhomes that have a blistering problem?  Would the blistering show through?

We bought our coach in 2011 with a fair-sized blister on the driver's side just aft of the slideout.  It was always visible and we got used to it.  The wrap was never going to hide it as it sits on top of whatever's there, but now it's covered with multi-colored designs, it is loads better compared to the plain white that was there before.  If I wanted to spend many thousands of bucks having the blister taken care, a) I'd have to start playing the lottery, and b) the coach is a 2000.  It passed our 7-day test a long time ago. ;)

Dougie.

The reason I was asking, I saw a 2002 Alfa See-Ya this week end that had about a million blisters about 1/4"-5/16" all over it. The coach belonged to a retired couple that just use it for vacationing. It was in great shape other than the blistering. They have had it quite a few years and love it other than the blisters.

Ah - well I don't know about that. If they came up after the wrap was done, I suppose it'll either be longevity, inherent body issues underneath, the quality of the vinyl, or the quality of the fitting.

Thanks. 3M don't recommend any form of UV protection so I wouldn't consider it without a specific ok from them however.

Dougie.

Sure do.  The unlucky guy who was assigned, developed a case of Tourettes by lunchtime, and by 5:00 pm when he'd finished scraping and sanding, he was ready to burn the RV. :D

Dougie.

Did the sides of the slide get the wrap as well?  Wondering how well it holds up to rubbing against the wall seal?

What a cool project!  8)  That shop may want to start marketing to the RV crowd... I bet yours goes in their display book for future customers.

But I'm wondering why you didn't choose THIS color scheme and design?  (see attached photo, along the lines of a lawyer's face on the side)  ;)

Attachments

• rent-me.jpg
    rent-me.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 100
kenb1023 said:
Did the sides of the slide get the wrap as well?  Wondering how well it holds up to rubbing against the wall seal?

Yes - see the comments above. I didn't mention specifically that it had a slide ('cos I assumed they'd notice, lol) so there was a little panic towards the end of the job.  It was easily dealt with though; the front has a printed two-tone sheet to match the bodywork and the rear has a plain white sheet.  There is no issue with the rubbing as the seals aren't that tight, and there are no joins or edges on either end.

Dougie.

So over 2 months and 4,000 miles later, it's still as good as new and we're loving it.  SO many comments from other RVers and one tanker driver at a gas station who I couldn't get rid of, he was so enthusiastic about the wrap! ;)

We've washed it ourselves three times since the job was completed, using our low-power jet washer and extended soft brush. Ordinary car-wash detergent is fine although we've been using a 3M awning cleaner product mixed in a bucket of water and applied with the brush, which leaves it gleaming with a wax finish.

This video is useful and recommends a few products for UV protection (someone mentioned that earlier in the thread and I agree it's an important thing).  http://youtu.be/SAp-wUGehQU

As an interesting footnote, I mentioned that the designer picked up on our mostly using the coach in Arizona from  now on and consequently increased the white areas to reflect the heat.  It's been 100?F - 112?F these last ten days; we've both been impressed by closing our eyes and moving our hands over sections of the body to feel the big differences in temperatures between the white, tan and dark areas.  They range from warm to almost-too-hot-to-touch.  So kudos to him.

Dougie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvaRidge
Back
Top Bottom