RV Etiquette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use of RV bathroom should be reserved for those the RV belongs to. I never ask to use some else's RV bathroom, I go home and use my own.

Wendy

I, too, would prefer that people use their own bathrooms.  Haven't figured out how to politely say no, so just let them use it.  We had guest bathrooms in our homes, but that's not the case in an RV.  ::)

Margi

x 3 on bathroom etiquette.  I never use the RV bathroom of  anyone else.  Even when large groups meet for events, most people quietly disappear outside for a few  minutes and then return after having used the facilities of the campground or  their own rig. 

Some people err on the side of caution with that :)
My sister's husband will get in his truck and go to town rather than use ours, when dry camping on our lot and he is roughing it in the back of his Suburban.

Ok, my parents used ours and we used theirs when we were traveling together and having dinner or watching a movie in one rig or the other, but that's my Mom & Dad !!

Wendy

Whew!  It sounds like most of you feel the same way I do.  Now, we have to come up with a "polite" way to tell friends no.  If we were dry camping it would be different because every ounce counts when trying to conserve!! LOL but, we are almost always on full hook-ups.  Just a pet peeve of mine that I'd like to remedy.  Thanks for listening... ;D

denmarc said:
Unfair statement. 

Like Frizlefrak, I also bust my butt all week at work.  I work nights while my family works days.  I don't see them, let alone spend time with them, all the work week long.  On the weekends when we hit the woods, family time and solitude is of the utmost importance. 

Sorry if that kind of recreation literately cuts into your social attitude.  No offense meant.  But some of us need our space and time with our families.  It's the only time we have. 

Retirees need to stop and feel the weight of todays economy on todays working class.  Not to say some don't take advantage of some of the government programs available in todays world.  But that some of us have had to make some sacrifices to make ends meet for our families.  Maybe losing a long time day job to a night job.  Like myself.
Then we take what little time we have, hit the CG, and settle down for some peace and quiet time.  Maybe some boardgame or playground time with the kids.  Maybe some conversation with the spouse to find out what has been happening over the past week or so.  How the kids have been doing in school....that sort of thing.

A wave from a passerby is welcome.  A "Good Morning" is welcome.  Someone who doesn't know when to leave is not welcome.  Some of us wish to not take the chance of offending that person by pointing the finger toward the road.  It's not personal.  It's only that we have a limited amount of time to spend with our family and ourselves.  And we cherish that time.

I hope that all makes sense.

Long winded, I know.

Marc....glad I'm not the only one.  You sound just like me.....a nice friendly hard-working guy that just wants some quality time with his loved ones once in a while. 

I don't think a lot of folks understand what the modern workplace is like.....companies are operating on razor thin margins these days and hyper-utilize every asset....especially people....with no concern for burnout.  Just today's reality. 

We still appreciate a wave and a hello.....even 30 seconds on the beautiful weather....we just don't want an hour long disseratation when we're trying to relax. 

Happy camping to all.  :)

4ducksrus said:
Whew!  It sounds like most of you feel the same way I do.  Now, we have to come up with a "polite" way to tell friends no.  If we were dry camping it would be different because every ounce counts when trying to conserve!! LOL but, we are almost always on full hook-ups.  Just a pet peeve of mine that I'd like to remedy.  Thanks for listening... ;D

If I was hooked up to sewer, I wouldn't have a problem at all with noncamping visitors using the washroom.  If we are relying on our black water tank, then I would tell them that we aren't hooked up to sewer and that we need to use the campground facilities, although I have never had to do that because everyone who has visited us at a campground just use the campground facilities - I've never had anyone ask to use our rv washroom. 

Sort of like, I offered up boondocking on our site but not my sewer hookup, because it is a septic system I have to pay to maintain. If I were on a municipal system, no problem.

4ducksrus said:

I've never run into this situation, but I would tell them that I have a clog in the drain pipe that I'll have to take care of when I get home (not something you want to take care of in a campground) and that we have to use the toilet as little as possible.  That should get them over to their own or the campground facilities.

I would feel odd even asking to use the facilities in someone else's RV.  I would think that would be quite awkward for all parties. 

My pet peeve is the &%$#^%% Coleman Lanterns. Not so much of a problem anymore since I am in a hard sided vehicle with blackout drapes. But when I was in a tent they drove me up a wall. A lantern three spaces away would light up the inside of my tent like it was daytime. And of course you can't set a Coleman lantern up unless you plan on sitting up until 2 am drinking beer being overly obnoxious.

If someone asks to use your bathroom and you don't want them to it is simple. Just tell them the holding tank is full and your sewer hose is broken.

If I ever reach the point where it offends me when someone stops by to chat, please just shoot me and get it over with.

zzyzx said:
If I ever reach the point where it offends me when someone stops by to chat, please just shoot me and get it over with.

I agree. 

Next time you're camping, I'll stop by for 3 hours to talk about religion, death penalty, abortion, foreign policy, war, and politics.  Then I will tell you my entire life story.  I've literally had older folks try to do this.  I'm polite for the first 10 minutes or so....and become exponentially less so with each passing minute.  If I want that, I'll stay home and watch CNN.  Again, I have constant human interaction in my job, much of it confrontational due to the nature of my position....

All I ask is some courtesy.  I'd love to chat about weather, sports, fishing, hunting, RV's, food....you name it.  But after 5 minutes, I'm done and want to go back to my beer that is getting warm or my coffee that is getting cold and finish my book.  Is that really too much to ask?

The OP wanted tips on etiquette.  There's mine. 

People obviously camp for their own reasons. There are often several common denominators but some of the reasons I go camping may be completely different than of those who are camped next to me. I think THAT is what all campers should keep in mind.

My wife and I aren't exactly "young" (although that's a relative term - I'm 53 and Cyndi's, well, err...older  ;) ), and I'm certainly not going to cap on the friendly nature of "older" people. God bless them (I mean that). But I've worked nights for the vast majority of my 30+ year career, (the last 9 years straight) and I haven't had "weekends" (Saturdays and Sundays) off in the past 10 years, which means I end up working most holidays. Those factors alone make it very difficult for me to do anything with my family. So when I get some precious time to go camping with them, it's just that... precious time with THEM.

Of course the folks camped next to us would have no way of knowing our family's situation, and we're certainly not going to be rude to anyone who says "howdy" when they're walking by, or asks us a question about our RV or our well-supervised, always-leashed dog. But if you're a well-meaning, friendly person who enjoys having long-winded conversations with people who are camped next to you, and you've never considered that others might not want to participate, you might think about what I just said. Pay attention to the "signals" people are sending out. They're not hard to spot.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
People obviously camp for their own reasons. There are often several common denominators but some of the reasons I go camping may be completely different than of those who are camped next to me. I think THAT is what all campers should keep in mind.

My wife and I aren't exactly "young" (although that's a relative term - I'm 53 and Cyndi's, well, err...older  ;) ), and I'm certainly not going to cap on the friendly nature of "older" people. God bless them (I mean that). But I've worked nights for the vast majority of my 30+ year career, (the last 9 years straight) and I haven't had "weekends" (Saturdays and Sundays) off in the past 10 years, which means I end up working most holidays. Those factors alone make it very difficult for me to do anything with my family. So when I get some precious time to go camping with them, it's just that... precious time with THEM.

Of course the folks camped next to us would have no way of knowing our family's situation, and we're certainly not going to be rude to anyone who says "howdy" when they're walking by, or asks us a question about our RV or our well-supervised, always-leashed dog. But if you're a well-meaning, friendly person who enjoys having long-winded conversations with people who are camped next to you, and you've never considered that others might not want to participate, you might think about what I just said. Pay attention to the "signals" people are sending out. They're not hard to spot.Kev

Well stated.  :)

Like most I enjoy a good story but prefer to meet people in neutral places so I can walk away at any time. I believe there was a song lyric "when I drink by myself I prefer to be alone" .

The presence of our dog seems to keep most at friendly distance, we generally converse at roadway, this keeps people from homesteading your campsite and time, gives you an escape route and are still friendly to others without being rude.

carson said:
Perhaps a friendly little sign in front of your parking space may do the trick.

A question...

In my eyes, when our family was doing the CG thing, I had thought that CG goers were suppose to be among the friendliest people around!  I was correct for the most part.  What I hadn't figured on is that some are "too friendly".
No offense meant to anyone, but that was just how we roll.

The question is, if one was to put a sign out front of the site, how many of you would take offense to it?  People hang the little signs on the door handle of their hotel rooms stating the same all the time.  If you as a fellow camper noticed a site with such a sign, would it make you think the campers are stuck-up SOB's?

Just curious.

Could be, we need to get back to the welcome mat. I have never experienced what others have posted, and I would not listen to some one for 3 hours talking about any topic. (Even if the mat was out.)

I was thinking about this. I will make a sign that says "coffee's on!" with a big smiley or something welcoming, and the flip side will have some sort of graphic appropriate, and the words "taking a nap".
That could mean anybody in the coach or trailer, just because you see somebody outside puttering quietly, does not mean there is not another person out of sight taking a nap. 
I for one would not be offended. One of our favorite pastimes is getting some extra rest in the cool clean air of the mountains.

Sign verbiage could be endless.

Such as "FREE WARM BEER"
            " BOA CONSTRICTOR ON-BOARD"
            " Home-made HOOTCH... Tip Jar nearby"
            " WELCOME... 5 minute stay limit"

If it gets too quiet, change to cold beer.

The heat must be getting to me.... 97.7?  real feel 106?  Humidity 78%.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom