RV Quality ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mopar1973Man said:
As for the motel / hotel comment. At least with my RV I know its cleaned up to my standards. I've been in places that stink of pickle juice, cigarettes in a no smoking room, etc.
PICKLE JUICE......
What kind of motels are you staying in?

All I can say is thank god some can and do buy new. But I am still going to recommend to new buyers to look at a bunch od units and to buy the first one used. After they have traveled for a while and have a better understanding of what they want then look at new.
Bill

rebelsun said:
PICKLE JUICE......
What kind of motels are you staying in?

All I can say is the previous person spilled a jar of fill pickles on the carpet. Most likely drunk. Bad part is the smell remains. You end up hungry every morning... :p

"I've been in places that stink of pickle juice, cigarettes in a no smoking room, etc."

Have not had that experience or anything even close to it, except in the back woods of China. The water came out brown in that hotel room and the a/c didn't work on that hot evening.

However, I did not stay there. I went down to the lobby and argued with the hotel manager for 1.5 hours until they got tired of me, like OM, and sent me off to another higher class hotel where everything was in good shape and for not extra charge. I took the position that if I could not sleep, the hotel staff could not relax either.

My recommendation is pick National Chains you have had a good experience in and pay a fair rate for a hotel. If you are paying 2x to 3x the daily rate of an rv private campground, depending on the day of the week, you are on track. Since you are not paying for the cost of an rv, you can pay even more and make that hotel part of your entertainment.

My wife and I plan to stay overnight the next time we travel up California HY1 and stay at Timber Cover Inn at Jenner, CA. The rates there are well over $200 per night. We will stay one night for a two day vacation.  That is an exception but it is a very romantic location and beats any $1million rv for one night and the Inn includes a complete staff, excellent wines, and excellent dining. You also have the wonderful option to go up the ocean the first day and come back through a gorgeous backwoods area the next.

Well we are drifting a little from "Quality"
My main problem when working on or looking at systems on my RV is MY background. My back ground is building Supersonic jet fighters. Such as the F-16, F-22 and the F-35. Comparatively there is no quality in the RV industry. In the RV industry there is no agency or group overseeing production. I don't blame the workers they can only be as good as the company lets them. It starts with the engineering, they speck all the material and processes. The shop has to get it built in a set time. The factory relies on the dealers to inspect and repair things not right from the factory. The new owner has to be a quality inspector to see what the dealer has missed.
There is no direct pressure on the manufactures to improve quality until sales slip, but by then it is probably to late.
That is all I have to say. Now Norman and I are going to have tea with mother.
Bill

I also buy new so I can order exactly what I want....For those of you waiting to buy my used RV, don't hold your breath, I've had it for almost 17 years and it still looks like new.

As newbies we chose to order a brand new TT and we have absolutely no regrets.  We were able to negotiate a heck of a deal and we got exactly what we wanted.  After more than a year we can probably sell our TT for what we paid for it.  The few warranty issues we had in the beginning were easily taken care of by the dealer in less than a week. 

As far as quality is concerned the old adage remains true.  You get what you pay for.  The quality of a new $15,000 TT does not begin to compare to a new Provost or even a used Provost for that matter.

If we decide to upgrade it will probably be a used Class A.  Now we are more comfortable with the RV experience, and thanks to this forum we are better equipped to get reliable advice.

In summary, as newbies we are very glad we purchased a new TT.

Either way you go....new or used....it behooves a person to learn how to repair stuff on their RV in their own driveway.  You'll find you worry a lot less about something breaking if you know how to fix it.

I agree with Frizzle.. One of the major problems is this. An RV is part truck, part house. now in theory the truck part *IS* designed to go bouncing down the road at 55+MPH.. but not many houses are really up for that.. Thus things happen.  Screws work loose, Staples pull out (Who uses nails any more) and stuff happens.

This is part of the reason I say many RVers have a few screws loose.. On my house they take a #2 square bit for the most part.

hi run
welcome to the forum.

seems your question has generated lot of discussion on buying new or used. i will often my 2 cents...

1. a new lemon will likely still be a used lemon.

2. know that rv manufactures install component parts made by someone else. for example, some mentioned door latches - meaning you can find the same door latch in any number of rvs. you will see in the various rv brands that you look at the same component parts (from fridges, stoves, a/c units, to door latches) made by other manufactures.

best wishes in your search for an rv.
cheers,
pdq

Perhaps the price of the RV in question is a factor.  You would likely take a 40% loss trading in an unsuitable new RV after the first year. Losing 40% on a $20k RV is perhaps different story than losing 40% of a 160k gas coach, or a 300k DP?

There certainly are some pluses in buying a new RV, but I don't think those pluses are the ones that newbie buyers are expecting, i.e. fewer problems and top dealer/factory support. Most new buyers are looking at an RV like a car, and culturally we have been indoctrinated to believe a new car is far superior to a used one, and that "used car" is synonymous with "junk".  In fact, though, an RV is more analogies to a house than a car, and a pre-owned house is perceived much differently than a "used" car.

John From Detroit said:
I agree with Frizzle.. One of the major problems is this. An RV is part truck, part house. now in theory the truck part *IS* designed to go bouncing down the road at 55+MPH.. but not many houses are really up for that.. Thus things happen.  Screws work loose, Staples pull out (Who uses nails any more) and stuff happens.

This is part of the reason I say many RVers have a few screws loose.. On my house they take a #2 square bit for the most part.

Which is another down fall of buying used. You really have to look around at each unit closely. But it also depends on the previous owners too. I'm assuming the previous owners where light duty folks in my RV. But looking around at several used units over the years and OMG! Some of them look like they are ready for the scrap heap and newer than mine. :p Again this comes down to quality of construction and how the previous owner took care of it.  ;)

Same comments you can read in other threads and other forums, just another day. You are in your RV today or you are not.

If you buy used or new, you get what you inspect.
If you buy on faith, you play the odds, and you don't get house odds.

Then there's the other side of the fixing the RV coin....it's an opportunity to make it better than it was.  The outer panel on the seating portion of our dinette came loose after a trip last summer.  The screws had pulled out of the aluminum framing.  There is storage under there, and likely something shifted and knocked it loose with enough force that the holes were now too large for the screws.

Trailer is aluminum framing.  I drilled through the framing on the dinette, and used bolts with locking nuts to reattach the panel.  Suffice it to say it won't be coming loose again.  Took me 15 minutes and cost nothing to fix....no need to take it in for service.

Was it crappy quality to begin with?  Perhaps....but that part will outlive me now.  Be your own warranty station. 

Friz is right, I have done a lot of minor repairs and upgrades. Unless you are wiling to do some of the minor things that go with having a RV you probably can't afford to have one. I wish I was rich enough to by a new coach every time the holding tanks got full.
Bill

Frizlefrak said:
Then there's the other side of the fixing the RV coin....it's an opportunity to make it better than it was.    Be your own warranty station.

See there it is....

by now you have probably seen 100's of RV's....you can walk around the RV and look at it, push all the buttons and run everything and see if it works.....and then take a gamble on what and when something will break.

as for quality.....unless it says Prevost, Newell, or Foretravel .........they all look pretty much the same under the skin.

Back
Top Bottom