RV Quality ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't see them as problems....see them as opportunities to upgrade!!  ;)

Seriously....if things breaking worries you to this extent, owning an RV is a very bad idea.  Buy a brand new Civic and stay in hotels.  Learn to be your own warranty station and never worry about it again. 

Frizlefrak said:
Don't see them as problems....see them as opportunities to upgrade!!  ;)

Seriously....if things breaking worries you to this extent, owning an RV is a very bad idea.  Buy a brand new Civic and stay in hotels.  Learn to be your own warranty station and never worry about it again.

Friz...

you should know there is a whole generation of 40 year old guys out there that have a college degree for something....but they have no idea which end of a screwdriver to hit a nail with..

Pointwithinacircle said:
Please excuse the new guy - What does 3000# CCC mean?

You can check in the Glossary linked at the top, but 3000 lb. Cargo Carrying Capacity. Basically the difference between the empty weight and max weight, to simplify.

RodgerS:

On October 9 you stated you were doing, with your limited abilities, an evaluation of a Tiffen MH. Would you mind posting your evaluation? Or, would this open you up too much?

TonyDtorch said:
Friz...

you should know there is a whole generation of 40 year old guys out there that have a college degree for something....but they have no idea which end of a screwdriver to hit a nail with..

Yep...scary.  I have both a Bachelor's and a Master's in business....earned my living behind a desk.  But I can still spin wrenches with the best of them.  Grew up poor....either I fixed my beat up old Pontiac, or I walked to school in the winter.  10 feet of snow, uphill both ways.  :)

I know a couple of 20 something's that are gearheads....most of the rest of them are video game addicted goofballs.  The 20 something gearheads look down on said goofballs in a most critical fashion too.  The 40 somethings....that's the result of people doing things for them their entire life, and enabling their laziness and mechanical ineptness. 

There was a guy next door to me a while back.  Army officer, great guy.  He bought a new clothes dryer.  It didn't come with the cord.  He rang my doorbell in a panic.  I told him just to swap the old cord off the old dryer.  He was mortified at the notion of doing this....scared....uhhhh....shirtless about getting electrocuted.  I went over and did it for him.  I figured he'd comment about how simple it was.  Nope.  He was absolutely stunned by my ability to do this.  This guy had been all over the world and had seen combat duty. 

Either you can fix things, or you're at the mercy of those who can. 

I dont see it as a matter of education or exposure to mechanical item. There are some that would never have the ability regardless of how much training or exposure they have had and there are others that have a natural ability. My grandson could pick up a wrench and tighten bolts as a toddler, his father is stumped at the challenge of changing a lawnmowers sparkplug, seriously!

There is a certain amount of talent involved just as there is in playing musical instruments. NO amount of training has enabled me to even do the most simple tunes on any instrument, even a harmonica.

With that being said here is the disclaimer...I know you can teach a monkey to turn a wrench just as you can teach him to strum a guitar. That doesn't mean the monkey can troubleshoot an engine or play a song.

catblaster said:
I dont see it as a matter of education or exposure to mechanical item. There are some that would never have the ability regardless of how much training or exposure they have had and there are others that have a natural ability. My grandson could pick up a wrench and tighten bolts as a toddler, his father is stumped at the challenge of changing a lawnmowers sparkplug, seriously!

There is a certain amount of talent involved just as there is in playing musical instruments. NO amount of training has enabled me to even do the most simple tunes on any instrument, even a harmonica.

With that being said here is the disclaimer...I know you can teach a monkey to turn a wrench just as you can teach him to strum a guitar. That doesn't mean the monkey can troubleshoot an engine or play a song.

I agree completely. I worked at the Pillsbury Co. much of my young life until I lost my job in 91 from a buy out. They paid for my retraining. I went to school for HVAC and refrigeration.  Did that until I retired. While in that field I ran the shop at one of our hospitals. It amazed me how some of those guys got the job they had as techs. They couldn't trouble shoot at all. They could do the job if I told them what to do, but couldn't find the problem. We hired a fellow that was decent and was able to learn. He eventually replaced me when I retired. I talk with him now and then and he had a ruff time at first, but getting the hang of it now. Some people have the ability to learn and some have it naturally, but some just can't comprehend when it come to things mechanical. One of my uncles ask me one time if i ever found anything I couldn't do. Not too many but, I'd like to play golf a little better ;D ;D. Had one of those big screen projection TVs when they first came out, it quit working and I was trying to get one of the fellows from the electronic shop to look at it. No dice so I told him I'll just fix it myself, he laughed at me. So I bought the schematics and went to work. With some help from the net I was able to repair it. Was the high voltage splitter that controlled the 3 picture tubes. That thing went out a total of 3 times while I owned it. 

It not like what you think...

I have a 45 year lod nephew, no military or other real job experience,  his dad/mom sent him to good schools, hung with the right crowd, tennis clubs, etc. and he is a now a successful attorney.

He makes enough money to pay for anything he and his family needs in life, not necessarily a super opulent life, but a nice one. 

The downside... if he ever wanted to enjoy the motorhome life .....he'd have two choices.

1.  he'll have to spend $1.6 mil for a good quality one.

2.    he'll likely spend all his time suing the crap out of the RV manufacture,  and every repair shop he stops at. 

because, he can't fix a low tire.

it's not " wrong" to be that way if you can afford it.

kwbush said:
Welcome to the forum run 26... You'll get as much differing advice as people responding to your post!
My 2 cents... Buy USED, USED, USED!  ???
You might ask why... :eek:
1. Let some other individual pay the depreciation. Not smart,  depreciation that is. :'(
I understand why people buy new and thank GOD they do! They work out all the problems so we intelligent people can buy RV's with most, if not all, problems corrected.
2. I got ahead of myself two was  explained above. :-[
3. Lower initial cost to purchase. 8)

These three reasons alone, and I'm sure other posters can add more, are enough for me! ;D

Keith :p

Your whole post is enough for me  to never buy anything from you! We've bought other peoples problems before and won't do it again. We might not be as intelligent as you, but as my old buddy Sly Stone used to say, "Different strokes...".

tdst51 said:
Your whole post is enough for me  to never buy anything from you! We've bought other peoples problems before and won't do it again. We might not be as intelligent as you, but as my old buddy Sly Stone used to say, "Different strokes...".

tdst51... I don't ever recall wanting to sell anything to you...  ???

AND if you bought other peoples problems I'd say it indicates a level of intelligence I'm not familiar with...  :'(

Further to quote old actors, my old buddy Clark Gable in 'Gone with the Wind' aptly stated "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"...  :-*

Just sayin'  ;D

Keith

ps. if it gets me booted it WAS worth it... ???

TonyDtorch said:
the wisdom of buying a well taken care of used RV is apparent with both price and shakedown/warranty problems...

and it also gives you a chance to see the actual quality of the RV.......

real quality is best measured with time.
I'm listening to every word :)

Entry level vs higher end units:  When it comes to the gas market, how much difference is there?  Ford F53's are about it when it comes to the frame and drive train and from what I understand is a solid, reliable combination.  Setting aside bells and whistles, what I do not understand is the interior quality.  How much cost difference can there be between real wood and vinyl wrapping?  My MH has real wood doors but used the vinyl framing.  Come on manufacturers, this is what people see, use, and perceive as quality levels.  Compared to most of the experts here, I am a newbie for sure, but this makes me think back in the 70's and 80's and the automotive industry.  We would still have the same level of quality if it was not for some competition that forced the industry's hand and the buyers said this was no longer acceptable. 

I find this to be a profound statement.
"We've bought other peoples problems before and won't do it again."
I don't know where to start. We know you had a qualified inspector check it out (if you didn't fell qualified) before putting money down didn't you? You had the appropriate dealer Cat or Cummins check the motor didn't you? You did all the required service in a timely manner by the book didn't you? Now after all that if something happens and we all know S*** happens how is it someone else's problem? How is buying new going to change this?
Bill

Gregg said:
Entry level vs higher end units:  When it comes to the gas market, how much difference is there?  Ford F53's are about it when it comes to the frame and drive train and from what I understand is a solid, reliable combination.  Setting aside bells and whistles, what I do not understand is the interior quality.  How much cost difference can there be between real wood and vinyl wrapping?  My MH has real wood doors but used the vinyl framing. 

IMO....

I hope the days of solid wood cherry wood cabinets, Chrystal glass doors and ceramic tile floors are coming to an end.

They are the signs of antiquated "quality" design...  the same as the 150 lb. massive chromed solid steel bumpers were on 1960's Detroit cars.

Cars, motor homes, airplanes, tools ..ect. all work better when they are lighter.

I'd like to see more carbon fiber and other lightweight composite honeycomb panels used in RV interior designs (but with good hardware !) .... the same quality stuff you see in new business jets.

I'd like to see a new "Quality" RV.... that doesn't need a 45k GVW chassis, and a 600 H/P diesel it takes to pull it around... 

TonyDtorch said:
IMO....

I hope the days of solid wood cherry wood cabinets, Chrystal glass doors and ceramic tile floors are coming to an end.

They are the signs of antiquated "quality" design...  the same as the 150 lb. massive chromed solid steel bumpers were on 1960's Detroit cars.

Cars, motor homes, airplanes, tools ..ect. all work better when they are lighter.

I'd like to see more carbon fiber and other lightweight composite honeycomb panels used in RV interior designs (but with good hardware !) .... the same quality stuff you see in new business jets.

I'd like to see a new "Quality" RV.... that doesn't need a 45k GVW chassis, and a 600 H/P diesel it takes to pull it around... 

Amen!

TonyDtorch said:
IMO....

Yep.  :)

Gary RV Roamer said:
LOL!  Is there a meaningful difference between experiencing your own problems vs "someone else's"? If buying a new RV assured you of a trouble-free experience, that would perhaps make a new one worth the huge additional cost. Experience has shown that new RVs are just as likely to be troublesome as a used one, despite the price premium. And the warranty is usually only 12 months, so of limited value.

So true Gary.  We bought used but have had enough experience in the world (76 years) to know that you have to look carefully when you buy used.  Took over two years but finally found a coach being sold by an older gent who was under hospice care but he loved to talk about this motorhome and their yearly winters spent in a Texas RV park.  He was the original owner and had a complete set of paperwork showing every repair he had made and the coach had always been stored under cover except when he was using it in Texas.  We made a deal and paid somewhat above what I had seen the same brand and size coach sell for on local Craigslist.  It has proved to be a solid choice and we have had problems that were not attributed to the original owner - AC compressor, and transmission replacement (after 10,000 miles of trouble free performance).  Buy Used but Buy Wise.

Only the end user can claim what quality is in a unit. Many times the items used to judge quality is not very valid to most but very valid to some, so how does one decide? Service records are what a lot of people use as the bible truth as to the quality of a unit, well it is something for people who know almost nothing about RV;s but that is it. Ok what am I really trying to say here, look for your self and touch everything, you will feel a solid built unit. Drive the unit and don't expect it to drive like a pick-up cause it is not one. Look everywhere underneath on top inside cabinets and you will get a feel for what you feel is good not by someone else's opinion which is only from their perspective.

ironrat said:
Only the end user can claim what quality is in a unit. Many times the items used to judge quality is not very valid to most but very valid to some, so how does one decide? Service records are what a lot of people use as the bible truth as to the quality of a unit, well it is something for people who know almost nothing about RV;s but that is it. Ok what am I really trying to say here, look for your self and touch everything, you will feel a solid built unit. Drive the unit and don't expect it to drive like a pick-up cause it is not one. Look everywhere underneath on top inside cabinets and you will get a feel for what you feel is good not by someone else's opinion which is only from their perspective.

Waaay back in the 70's & 80's when we were trying to catch up with the Japanese, some smart person described quality as "meeting expectations".  But, expectations is a very broad concept and strictly a personal opinion.  Consequently, quality is in the eye of the beholder - unless defined and agreed upon beforehand.  This why in manufacturing, sales contracts typically contain some agreed upon defect level.  The problem with RV quality is it has not been defined and agreed upon so the customer's expectations are almost never met.

Back
Top Bottom