SCS. (spinal Cord Stimulator)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene, I have lost track, are you home in NH or still in Florida?

Ed
Still in FL. She ended up going back in the hospital again this past Thursday by ambulance. She was doing PT and it looks like her therapist pushed her a little too hard. She was having a very hard time to breathe so I called 911. She just got discharged today. She has a pre-op meeting/appointment with her surgeon this Monday. Then when the insurance company gives the OK, then they’ll schedule her for the surgery of installing the SCS trial implant. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Last edited:
We went to the pre-op meeting with the surgeon and he went over everything. We thought she was good to go. Then he asked about the POC (Portable Oxygen Concentrator) she was wearing. He said it should not be a problem so he has to get the anestiziologist to sign off. Well lo and behold, the next day she got a phone call saying the surgery has been cancelled and that they recommend do a inpatient surgery. They only do outpatient surgeries.
So we’ve been scrambling to find a new surgeon to do it. We did find one and she is scheduled for 8/17/23. It’s been a long uphill battle. Alot more has happened but I won’t get into that right mow.

Rene, I am sure you are both disappointed with the delay, IMO this could be a positive because if there is a complication she is now in a location (?hospital?) that is capable of addressing it without the time delay to send her to hospital.

Hoping for both of you this procedure works and no pain!
Jennifer

Rene, I am sure you are both disappointed with the delay, IMO this could be a positive because if there is a complication she is now in a location (?hospital?) that is capable of addressing it without the time delay to send her to hospital.

Hoping for both of you this procedure works and no pain!
Jennifer
This new doctor does it as an outpatient. He commented about the 1st Dr. by saying he was a chicken for nit doing the surgery because of the oxygen. I can see the apprehension from the 1st doctor. He wanted her in a hospital setting just in case. He only did it as an outpatient and is not affiliated with any hospitals. They have their own surgical center.

I can see where this procedure could help. Approx 10 yrs ago I was having a lot of trouble with a nerve in my neck and left shoulder. Herniated discs in my neck was suspected to be the problem. My doctor sent me to two different Neurologists that both wanted to do surgery. I wanted to avoid surgery if possible. My doctor then introduced me to transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). After a couple of weeks of PT and use of a TENS unit, the pain began to alleviate. I now have my own TENS unit that I use for occasional flare ups and I still haven't had surgery.

I'm not trying to compare my pain to the situation described by Rene other than saying that I can understand where the electrical impulses could be an answer here too. Hope all goes well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMR
I can see where this procedure could help. Approx 10 yrs ago I was having a lot of trouble with a nerve in my neck and left shoulder. Herniated discs in my neck was suspected to be the problem. My doctor sent me to two different Neurologists that both wanted to do surgery. I wanted to avoid surgery if possible. My doctor then introduced me to transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). After a couple of weeks of PT and use of a TENS unit, the pain began to alleviate. I now have my own TENS unit that I use for occasional flare ups and I still haven't had surgery.

I'm not trying to compare my pain to the situation described by Rene other than saying that I can understand where the electrical impulses could be an answer here too. Hope all goes well.
Thank you Steve and Kim

My wife has two of these implants. The first one was in her lower back. She has had it for quite a while now and did get some pain relief from it. It did not take away all the pain, but it helps. The second implant was done for her neck. She is very glad she had them done.

Well she was scheduled to have the trial surgery done on August 17th. We’ve been hoping that a cancellation comes in. Well today we got a call from the doctors scheduler and she was able to shift people around so now the procedure will be done tomorrow morning at 8:15. She’s excited and nervous. We should know by noontime if the outcome may be positive. I will update when I get more information.

I just got back from the dentist and looked at the Forum. Hope all went well and that Lucille get the relief from the procedure.

Ed

She went through the procedure. She said it was quite painful. They numb the area where the needles for the leads will be placed. She has to remain conscious so if the leads suddenly hurts her, she would tell them and they would move them away from the nerve ending in question. They started the therapy after the surgery was done. Now she has to wait 24 hours and see what happens with her back and leg pain. The company rep is going to call her tomorrow and walk my DW through the steps to increase the electrical impulses if needed. She has said that it appears that she can climb stairs with a little less pain. It may be just hopeful wishes.

Hope the 24 hours do not pass too slowly for Lucille but the time allows her to recovers from the physical and mental stress of surgery. Hope for good news tomorrow.

Jennifer

Back
Top Bottom