seilerbird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very little rain all day long. Not much wind either. When ever there is a storm forming in the Atlantic Ocean that will head for the Americas when it gets a few hundred miles away there are a dozen or so weather bureaus that predict the future path. The local TV weathermen ignore all the paths except for the one that will hit Florida the hardest and go with it. They keep telling you to keep tuning in for the latest news about the hurricane.

I thought Elsa was not on the Atlantic Ocean side, but the Gulf side.

I think you are in the middle of both bodies of water, right?

I was just thinking of you and your ducks down there in this duck weather!

:)

My daughter is in Fort Lauderdale - same story - got some rain and a little wind but nothing substantial (her first storm since moving there last November). Now it's headed to my in-laws over north of Tampa (New Port Richey).

The media love the news-babble opportunities that come with a storm. Besides both they and the politicians know that far too many people either ignore warnings or wait to the last minute and then panic. Of course, the continual "Wolf!" cries encourage that sort of behavior. Reaping what was sown before!

I live in Sarasota and we had more rain in the 3 thunderstorms last week than we got with this so called tropical storm. The news crews are frantically trying to find a branch down to show the massive damage. LOL

The media love the news-babble opportunities that come with a storm. Besides both they and the politicians know that far too many people either ignore warnings or wait to the last minute and then panic. Of course, the continual "Wolf!" cries encourage that sort of behavior. Reaping what was sown before!
I think you've accurately described what happens with every major storm event. The idiot reporters wading out into a flood street, or sticking a ruler in a snow drift.

it's kinda' funny when they switch to a reporter who expected to be in the eye of the storm, and there's nothing at all going on. He/she looks sooooo disappointed.

I live in Sarasota and we had more rain in the 3 thunderstorms last week than we got with this so called tropical storm. The news crews are frantically trying to find a branch down to show the massive damage. LOL
Should have gotten out a chain saw and you would have made the headlines about heading out before the storm hits. What a hero you would have been.

Just saw a report that a tornado touched down on Kings Bay Naval Sub Base in Kings Bay Georgia. The storm tore through the RV park on base overturning several vehicles and injuring 10 people. It seems the tornado was spurned by the tropical storm heading up the east coast. Major damage was reported. I worked on that installation for four months about 20 years ago. The RV park was in the planning stages at that time.

Just saw a report that a tornado touched down on Kings Bay Naval Sub Base in Kings Bay Georgia. The storm tore through the RV park on base overturning several vehicles and injuring 10 people. It seems the tornado was spurned by the tropical storm heading up the east coast. Major damage was reported. I worked on that installation for four months about 20 years ago. The RV park was in the planning stages at that time.
I had the option to transfer there about 35 years ago. They were building the dry dock at that time.

I wonder if Crooked River State Park right next to the base had any significant damage. It's one of our favorite stops on our winter "southern tour"...

My first "tropical storm" since moving here - Was keeping up to date with the track and then was "overjoyed" to find the track was gonna go right over me in Live Oak.

None of the other park residents were around or packing up so I hunkered down. We got probably 30mph winds and a bunch of rain for like 2 hours.

Pays to pay attention but once these get over land I think it can be a luck of the draw thing for local damage and flare ups.

Ex-Calif - you live far enough inland so that hurricanes generally will not reach you. They usually die once they hit dry land and get reenergized over water.

Yeah that was my sense of things. The "alarmist" media was predicting up to 70mph in my area about 24 hours before it got here. I figured that was pretty far fetched...

I am pretty good reading weather data as a 40 year pilot and a 25 year sailor.

USUALLY die down over land is key. I lived in south Florida several years and was about five miles inland and never had to deal with any very close landfalls. I moved back to Ohio in 2003. In 2008 Hurricane Ike made landfall in Galveston on 9/13 and then he found his overdrive gears and shot up to central Ohio where on 9/14 he was packing 70+ mph winds and tossing portajohns around the county fair where I was.
THAT far inland, they no longer call them hurricanes (though 70 mph still qualifies as cat 1), but aerial news coverage the next day sure looked reminiscent of SFL news with most houses sporting rooftop blue tarps.

Walt Disney chose Orlando because of the nice weather here. In over fifty years the park only shut down for two days due to weather.
When I was there one time maybe 20 years ago they almost shut down because of a huge woods fire close by that was putting off a lot of smoke blowing through the park.
Tom, did they also shut down for COVID

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superskip
Back
Top Bottom