Selling MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reinigm

My wife wants to downsize our Class C a bit (29V to 22 or 24'). So I listed it on Craigslist here in Orange County CA. Also hung some for sale signs on it for when I am on the road. Been about a month, and no bites. But I've been tracking other RVs for sale at the same time and it appears the market is flat right now. I received a text from POPs RV Sales out of nowhere today, and decided to research them. I can't seem to find any positive comments about this organization. Any of you folks out there ever have dealings with them?

Never had any dealings with them other than contacting them a time or two when I was shopping. I too have read a LOT of negative comments online about them. As to Craigslist, it has really died in my area at least due to the vast number of scammers using it, in its place Facebook Market has really taken off over the last 3-4 years, serving much the same customer base, but with far fewer blatant scams.

Marketplace is full of scams just like Craigslist, and you have to deal with the incessant “Is this still available” chat pings from people who never respond.

I’d list it on RVTrader or RVT (.com) and post as many detailed pictures as they’ll allow in one listing. If you’re not getting hits, your price is too high.

I sold on RVTrader. It went fairly well. The problem was I that dealing with them opened the floodgates of unsolicited emails. Had to get the Better Business Bureau involved to get them to stop

I don't trust Craig's List due to the problems I've read about. I did sell a boat using FB Marketplace back in 2020. Actually, I was getting so many hits I had to start keeping track of who got hold of me first to try to be fair.

I sold a revolver on Armslist a few years ago and almost the same thing happened. Except most of the people contacting me about the revolver just wanted to trade me guns for it. I had to tell them that I'm trying to downsize, I didn't need any more firearms. Finally sold it to a young guy in LA for $1000. Could have gotten $1300 if I'd still had the original box.

I don't trust Craig's List due to the problems I've read about. I did sell a boat using FB Marketplace back in 2020. Actually, I was getting so many hits I had to start keeping track of who got hold of me first to try to be fair.

I sold a revolver on Armslist a few years ago and almost the same thing happened. Except most of the people contacting me about the revolver just wanted to trade me guns for it. I had to tell them that I'm trying to downsize, I didn't need any more firearms. Finally sold it to a young guy in LA for $1000. Could have gotten $1300 if I'd still had the original box.
To be fair, I merely tell them I had other calls and the 1st guy to come up with the money, it’s theirs.
I just sold a golf cart on CL. It was on it for about three weeks and I never received any scam calls. Lucky me.

I need to sell a boat and TT. What's kept me from moving ahead is mostly that I don't want to deal with the process. I don't want another job, but have seriously thought about opening a used boat/rv consignment dealership so that people like me don't have to put up with the hassle.

When I sell anything, it always is a scrappy email I have set-up, never my good, solid one, even on this website :cool:. Different items draw different crowds. I will meet at a McD to sell an old iPad, but a car and the likes, my home. I always ride with anyone.

I sold my last RV at the giant "estate" sale we had when we went full time (upsized the RV at the same time). Sold it to the first guy who looked at it on the first day of the sale for $1500 more than I had paid for it 5 years previously. He looked at it and offered me a deposit then and there without even dickering on the price. Obviously, I priced it too low, should have jacked it another $1000.

Inflation/interest rates may be having its reputed effect of cooling down sales but I will weigh in with the majority.

FB Market Place is where youngins look for stuff. Us old farts still use CL but my kid laughs when I mention CL.

You deal with knuckleheads any time you buy or sell something. I will meet where the seller/buyer wants within reason. I choose places with CCTV coverage. I also have no problem with anyone I am going to deal with coming to the house.

The main caveat in doing vehicles is that I insist the title match the name and address on the D/L and I get a photo of the sellers DL if I am not buying from their home. I bought a car from a guy in a school parking lot off Craigslit, did not get a picture of his DL and there was a problem with the signing of the title. I had his cell number but other than that if his address on the title was wrong he could have ghosted me.

Good point, also keep copies of everything, including photos of drivers license. I had an incident selling a camper van about 20 years ago where the guy that bought it failed to have the title transferred into his name, he did initially get insurance on the van, then dropped it after a year, so I got the notice of failure to carry insurance from the state, and had to prove I had sold it or else my drivers license would be suspended.

Good point, also keep copies of everything, including photos of drivers license. I had an incident selling a camper van about 20 years ago where the guy that bought it failed to have the title transferred into his name, he did initially get insurance on the van, then dropped it after a year, so I got the notice of failure to carry insurance from the state, and had to prove I had sold it or else my drivers license would be suspended.
I sold my car to my then GF in the early 80s. Like 10 years later I got a notice from San Diego Sherriff that "my" car was towed and impounded.

Most people don't know that almost every state has a form to fill in declaring you sold the vehicle. Florida even has a tear off at the top and I've bought at least 3 vehicles where the seller left the tear off attached - LOL...

Correct. Always do a Bill of Sale. Both parties sign, make a copy, minimum a picture. I always snap a picture of buyers / sellers drivers license as well.

I sold my last RV at the giant "estate" sale we had when we went full time (upsized the RV at the same time). Sold it to the first guy who looked at it on the first day of the sale for $1500 more than I had paid for it 5 years previously. He looked at it and offered me a deposit then and there without even dickering on the price. Obviously, I priced it too low, should have jacked it another $1000.
Consider that $1000 the price of not hassling. A lot of times it is worth it.

I agree that Facebook is the place to buy/sell.

I don't like the platform and deactivated my account years ago but I have a throw away account I use to sell stuff and view restaurant menus etc.

I agree that Facebook is the place to buy/sell.

I don't like the platform and deactivated my account years ago but I have a throw away account I use to sell stuff and view restaurant menus etc.
Facebook Marketplace won't allow a user to open an acc't and list an item for sale until a period of activity on the acc't is demonstrated, ordinarily about 30 days worth. A throwaway acc't is just an active acc't. Marketplace was at one time a thriving platform for buying and selling but these days you have to cull through a labyrinth of hustlers and scammers ads trolling for idiots to find anything of value.

Last edited:
Facebook Marketplace won't allow a user to open an acc't and list an item for sale until a period of activity on the acc't is demonstrated, ordinarily about 30 days worth. A throwaway acc't is just an active acc't. Marketplace was at one time a thriving platform for buying and selling but these days you have to cull through a labyrinth of hustlers and scammers ads trolling for idiots to find anything of value.
I didn't know that part. Guess my throw away has been around long enough to appear "real".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom