Shoping for a new Digital Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

I don't think Amazon has that kit advertised together, and they don't show the real discounted price until you get to the checkout.  If you put the Canon XSi camera with the 18-55mm kit lens, the Canon 55-250mm IS zoom lens and the Tiffen UV protection filter together in your shopping cart, the $200 instant rebate will apply upon checkout and the final number comes to $643 and change.  I went all the way through checkout so I could see the final price but didn't finalize the order when it got to the "pay now" part.  I had seen this on a camera forum when I was researching the Canon and Nikon cameras.  I'm not very good at adding links, but I will try.  This link should take you to the kit.  Scroll down and look at the "items frequently bought together" and add all three to the shopping cart.  The discount will apply at checkout.  Hope that link works.

Jim, thanks for that perspective.  I think that's one of the reasons I'm still considering a DSLR instead of a better point and shoot camera.  Sometimes my grandkids move faster than the shutter on my Sony and I miss the shot.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I followed that link for the separate pieces "bought together" last night, put them in my basket, but didn't proceed to checkout. That probably explains why I didn't see the $200 rebate. Did you buy it yet?  ;D

Tom,

No, not yet.  I see the instant rebate is good until 11/21/09.  My birthday is coming up on 11/19/09, so I'm trying to drop some hints at what I want for my birthday.  Still can't decide which camera, though.  Need to make up my mind soon.  Thanks.

Dan

Dan,

I'm waiting for you to buy it at that price, so I can return mine to Costco and buy at the lower price. So be sure to buy it soon enough before the 11/21 deadline  ;D

I do believe the only way you get the instant rebate is if you are a registered Canon owner.

Well, I don't know what that's about, but the instant rebate is from Canon and is available through any Canon authorized dealer from November 1 to November 21, 2009 as shown here on Canon's web site.  When I checked Amazon this morning, the discount still showed up in checkout and the instant rebate message is still showing up on Amazon's site here.  So maybe I'm not too late after all.

Dan

>>Sometimes my grandkids move faster than the shutter on my Sony and I miss the shot.<<

Dan,

Grandkids will always challenge the abilities of a point and shoot camera! ;D Attached are two photos I took at a Blue Angels air show at Kennedy Space Center last year. I was using the Canon 40D with the Canon 100-400 L series IM lens. Couldn't do that with a P&S!

Attachments

• IMG_8892 (Large).JPG
    IMG_8892 (Large).JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9133 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9133 (Large).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi Jim. Those are the kind of photos I can only hope to be able to shoot one day. Care to tell us something about camera settings? How critical would the L series lens be in this application?

Photos I took of the Blue Angels over San Francisco Bay (see this message) sure look anemic after seeing yours. Mine were taken using a Sony P&S with 10X lens and image stabilizer. As you correctly say, a P&S can't take photos like the ones you shared with us.

Tom

The telephoto lens in Jim's photo do really tell a wonderful story about a specific airplane.

BUT the ones you took also tell a story.  You have an very intresting photo of the Golden Gate bridge with fog and the Angles.  That faming tells a very different story.  Nice photo of the bridge, the fog and the Angles adds to the story.

I shoot with both a point and shoot and a DLSR.  Each has its place.  The advantage to the DLSR is the ability to change lenses and get the photo Jim took of the airplanes.  Change his lens and he would be able to capture the photo you took.  Advantage of the point and shoot is it fits neatly in your pocket and can be carried very easily.  Both have their place.

Its the photographer that decides what to put in to the frame and which type of cameras to use.

I highly recommend the Nikon D90 with an 18-105mm lens.  This camera setup will give amateurs to semi-pros excellent photos in a wide array of settings.  Buy a Blue Crane training DVD (www.bluecranedigital.com) and in no time you'll be taking pictures like the pros!

Tom
Tom said:
Hi Jim. Those are the kind of photos I can only hope to be able to shoot one day. Care to tell us something about camera settings? How critical would the L series lens be in this application?

Photos I took of the Blue Angels over San Francisco Bay (see this message) sure look anemic after seeing yours. Mine were taken using a Sony P&S with 10X lens and image stabilizer. As you correctly say, a P&S can't take photos like the ones you shared with us.

Tom,

An L-series lens would not be necessary for shots like that. A good IS system is much more important. As you know I was using the 100-400 zoom on the Canon 40D. I used the sports setting which provides continuous focusing. Then I tried to pick up the plane as it came close and panned, in this case, from right to left while holding the shutter release open. That provided several quick shots of which I got one good one. :) The wonderful thing about digital is you can throw away all the bad shots and it doesn't cost anything.

As with any photo shoot like this, one only gets to see what's happening through the view finder. I always try to limit my shooting time so I can really enjoy whatever show is being performed. :)

It's too bad the Angels weren't at a lower altitude for that shot with the bridge in the foreground. That fog really adds to the shot.

cva61 said:
Its the photographer that decides what to put in to the frame and which type of cameras to use.

You are absolutely correct! I heard a story one time about a pro with a P&S followed another photographer with an SLR. His photos were as interesting and, in some cases, much better than the guy with the SLR. Composition is a key ingredient for an outstanding shot.

Anyone that would like to see some other shots can go to http://photo.net/photos/jimdick. I have a few posted and need to post more.I would be interested in anyone's opinion on the photos.

Jim
I shoot with a Nikon D70.  I have several lenses including my favorite for outside action, wildlife etc....  Its the 70-200 2.8 VR.  Its fast for sports action and very good for wildlife.

The P&S I use is an Olympic.  I Carry it all the time.  In many places you get hard looks or even a request to not shoot.  I like to shoot my grand kids at the public pool.  No problem with the P&S but the staff balks when I bring out the DSLR.

As to learning more about photography.  Check out the local Junior Collage in your area.  Mine offers credit classes as well as Contuning Ed classes.  I am currently enrolled in a Creative Photography class (have taken it several times).  By the way they offer a discount to those of us who live in the county and are over 55.

Roy

Roy,

I have a Nikon 990 which I have used extensively. I also have the Canon Digital Rebel and 40D. I use the Canon L-series 100-400 IS for most of my long shots. I own a less expensive 70-200 Canon lens but it is not that great. Also have the kit lenses that came with both Canons.

I wish I had time for some classes. ;D I might look into it this winter but I have a lot of irons in the fire that take up much of my time. I did apply for the New York School of Photography back in the '60's. They turned me down! ;D ;D

Tom said:
I'm slowly resigning myself to the idea that, if I stick with what I have, I'll use the Panasonic 'compact camera' for those spur-of-the-moment pictures, and use the Canon DSLR if/when I have the time to worry about composing the shot and figuring out which settings I need.

Tom,

After getting my Nikon D50 that is much the way I operated with the old Kodak digital ... kept it out in the mh for those quick spur of the moment shots.  And at the airshows carried the Kodak as backup and also it's limited video capability.

Howard

This guy got some photos of the Blue Angels I'd have liked to get that day, both over and under the Golden Gate:

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/

Scroll down to see the Angels. He didn't get fog in the scene though  ;D

Jim,

Those are great shots.  Boy, you've got a lot of cameras.  I don't think I would ever need that kind of camera power, but I would like one good all around camera to use that is better than the little point and shoot models to take family and vacation type shots that look good.  Which of all of those cameras that you own would you think would fit that bill for me?  Thanks.

Dan

Methinks that, if our local retired guys club doesn't put on some photography classes, I'll look around for one.

Back
Top Bottom