Some people can't read English !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were talking about breaking the rules/law - you cannot explain it away. That is exactly the point of this thread - ignoring the rules because you think you can, you are above the law, the law applies to others, or you just don't care. Nobody likes when the guy breaks the law doing X, why should the guy doing Y (also illegal) be treated any differently??

I have to laugh at the people that think a drone is taking a photo/video of them.  They have bought into the 'privacy' hype the media has shoved down their throats.  Everyone I know with a drone is after photo/video of landscape - getting a person in frame destroys that.  Just because a drone is "overhead" (or anywhere near) does not mean it is looking at you. As already stated, people are little dots on drone photos/videos (unless 5 feet away).  Walmart takes far more and better photos of you every time you visit than any of the recreational drones.

Speed limits are just suggestions. I haven?t tried that line with a cop yet. Probably won?t work. I guess I am ignorant about drones and their use. Yeah, I speed and I get pissed when folks that aten?t Handicapped park in a handicap spot. I don?t like it when folks run red lights but I speed. I might even tear the tag off my mattress and speed but I won?t like it when you shoplift. I probably follow 99% of the rules/laws. Anybody that?s they follow every rule or law to a tee is blowing smoke.....well, you know where.

Isaac-1 said:
I personally take a middle ground approach, maybe drones should be allowed, but only during certain hours,  and on certain days, like generators in camp grounds.  That way those people that are annoyed by drones don't have to constantly pestered by them buzzing around, yet those that want to fly them, and those that appreciate the photos and videos can also gain those benefits.  I for one like to see drone footage of places I am considering visiting, this includes RV parks, camp-grounds, etc. 

Your point is likely only part of the reason, there are likely more compelling reasons, for example, in at least the National Parks, disturbing others park experience is only part of the no drone rule.  I believe a lot has to do with disturbing the wildlife, drones crashing from the sky in areas not easily accessible and or in geographic features that would be negatively impacted.

JDOnTheGo said:
I have to laugh at the people that think a drone is taking a photo/video of them.  They have bought into the 'privacy' hype the media has shoved down their throats.  Everyone I know with a drone is after photo/video of landscape - getting a person in frame destroys that.  Just because a drone is "overhead" (or anywhere near) does not mean it is looking at you. As already stated, people are little dots on drone photos/videos (unless 5 feet away).  Walmart takes far more and better photos of you every time you visit than any of the recreational drones.

I don't think this drone was only seeing "dots"...  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vszn6Az2Buw&vl=en

There will always be some who think that rules are for other people. Last summer at Yellowstone, I mentioned to somebody that drones were not allowed in the park. His response was "yah, I know, but I need to get some pictures." When I mentioned to two guys that bicycles were not allowed on the trail, one of them replied "I didn't know that," as they continued riding down the trail.

In Badlands N.P., while I was taking photos of the wildlife, a man asked me "what are these animals?" I thold him they were bighorn sheep, and he replied "Great! My kids will love to pet them." I tried to explain that it was not only against the rules, but was dangerous. Do you think he listened? Fortunately for his kide, the sheep had more sense than he did.

Last winter in the Everglades, I pointed out to a woman, that her dog was not allowed on the trail. Before she even had time to respond, a gator lunged at the dog, but missed. She was lucky that the dog had good reflexes.

I've concluded that saying anything to these idiots is a waste of energy.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
There will always be some who think that rules are for other people. Last summer at Yellowstone, I mentioned to somebody that drones were not allowed in the park. His response was "yah, I know, but I need to get some pictures." When I mentioned to two guys that bicycles were not allowed on the trail, one of them replied "I didn't know that," as they continued riding down the trail.

In Badlands N.P., while I was taking photos of the wildlife, a man asked me "what are these animals?" I thold him they were bighorn sheep, and he replied "Great! My kids will love to pet them." I tried to explain that it was not only against the rules, but was dangerous. Do you think he listened? Fortunately for his kide, the sheep had more sense than he did.

Last winter in the Everglades, I pointed out to a woman, that her dog was not allowed on the trail. Before she even had time to respond, a gator lunged at the dog, but missed. She was lucky that the dog had good reflexes.

I've concluded that saying anything to these idiots is a waste of energy.

Joel
I know how you feel Joel. I spent so much time in the National Parks I felt like I owned them. I would get really pissed at people throwing rocks into the Grand Canyon. I eventually learned to keep my mouth shut because confronting these idiots was hopeless.

Oldgator73 said:
A drone and a passenger jet collided. Was on the news this morning.

I saw a similar report on the news last night.  Something hit a passenger jet.  Possibly a drone.  But the same report said that it's becoming a problem around airports and that some planes have had to make a second approach because of a drone. 

Can't disagree with some of the comments regarding the inability of drones to take usable pictures of folks on the ground.  So privacy is or may not be a problem, today.  But like everything else mechanical and electronic, it's improving.  Also as prices drop, more and more will opt for the new fun toy.  So time will tell.  Hopefully it won't go the way of the cell phone and texting while driving. 

garyb1st said:
Can't disagree with some of the comments regarding the inability of drones to take usable pictures of folks on the ground.  So privacy is or may not be a problem, today. 

The idea that drones are unable to "take usable pictures of folks on the ground" is simply not true. Don't know where this notion ever came from but it's not based in any sense on the facts involved. Also, privacy issues related to drone use is most assuredly a huge factor driving much if not most of the anti-drone sentiments.

Yeah, most flyers are out to get cool landscape type shots however if you follow various discussion related forums you'll soon see countless threads where some operators are openly bragging about operating their drones with no regard to any rules or even common sense. Flying over crowds, flying at heights that are clearly forbidden, flying at distances that are well beyond VLOS (visual line of sight), attempting reckless maneuvers etc. etc.

While vast majority of operators may be responsible flyers, it doesn't take very many to give the group as a whole a black eye. 

Some people don't read signs.  My DW is like that, and then she gets speeding tickets, gets lost, etc.  It is like they are in la-land when driving passing signs. It amazes me.  No luck changing her, just love her. Lol.

NY_Dutch said:
I don't think this drone was only seeing "dots"...  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vszn6Az2Buw&vl=en

Thanks for posting an excellent example of what I said. Clearly there is nothing of "use" on that video until the drone is very close.  I said 5', maybe it's 20' - the point remains - if someone is invading your privacy with a drone, they have to be very close to you and NOT 300' or even 100' in the air (which is often what people like to get excited about).  Further; this is an example of an operator that is not following the rules - again, making the point I am attempting to make.

Based on the following:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nine-people-taken-hospital-after-minnesota-mall-stabbings-n650081

https://nypost.com/2018/08/15/mom-killed-shielding-kids-from-speeding-car-on-first-day-of-school/

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8522373-181/pedestrian-struck-killed-by-motorcycle

https://whotv.com/2018/07/14/no-charges-to-be-filed-in-bicycle-crash-that-killed-pedestrian/

https://schwedlawfirm.com/golf-cart-accident/golf-cart-accident-kills-pedestrian/

We should all start clamoring that speeders, motorcycles, bicycles, golf carts, and knives should all be immediately banned.  Right??

That is called hysteria. 

Maybe all of those events had a root cause other than the "item"??  Maybe those 'items' are items we "like" so we choose to ignore how dangerous they are?

I don't believe I've read anyone claiming to follow every rule but would imagine they are out there.  What I am reading is people being hypocritical. That is; admitting to following only the rules that they feel like following and condemning others for having a different set of rules they care to follow.

I have to laugh at the people that think a drone is taking a photo/video of them.

You do KNOW that people think it  is ALL  ABOUT THEM!  too funny.

ziplock said:
I have to laugh at the people that think a drone is taking a photo/video of them.

You do KNOW that people think it  is ALL  ABOUT THEM!  too funny.
I have quadcopters (I hate the "drone" word) and r/c helicopters that don't even have a camera. I have one with a camera that, though claimed HD, is still not very good video (and very wide angle), and the camera has gone bad anyway. So not all of them CAN take pictures.

SeilerBird said:
I know how you feel Joel. I spent so much time in the National Parks I felt like I owned them. I would get really pissed at people throwing rocks into the Grand Canyon. I eventually learned to keep my mouth shut because confronting these idiots was hopeless.

I agree. 

(Mod note: several posts deleted. Let's keep it civil, respectful and friendly folks. Merry Christmas to all.)

garyb1st said:
Some rules only apply under certain circumstances.  Speeding for example.  When you've observed one or two of your fellow freeway drivers stopped by a LEO.  Picking up after your pet when your neighbors are right behind you.  Having a beer by the fire pit in a National Park or other public park where drinking is not permitted when the ranger is near by unless he or she joins you.  Washing your RV at a private park that doesn't allow it when the managers aren't around.

The definition of integrity is doing something right when no one is looking. Integrity and civility are two things sorely lacking in today's society.

i fly a drone, for fun. not for profit.  yes even the faa has these two classes, and are very picky about it.
i say some flying should be allowed in nat parks, the "ban" on them was to be a temporary thing,  (It's not a law, just a temp rule). was to have expired years ago, drones are not the same as years back.
there are many "other" laws ageist flying drones, can site them for those.

now with that said. i do agree on no fly zones, as i do not want to go to the forest, or someplace special, and have to deal with fools trying to fly one, or having it crash into something. or worse yet, destroy/deface something.
but we should also BAN tour buses. all the damage to the roads, smoke/smog they create. and lets not forget the noise. but the nat parks make tens of millions of USD off the tour company's. so lets say money talks, and drones get grounded.

Gizmo100 said:
Did the list also include Sling Shots?.....I'm thinking we could fix that Drone problem right quick..

you do understand you are saying to commit a federal crime. as shooting down any aircraft is a felony.
lets not forget when you miss, who is going to get hit and hurt/killed down range? state laws apply here.

PancakeBill said:
I do not have a drone.  However, the blanket prohibition partially came about after a couple crashed drones in Yellowstone.  In certain parks it actually makes sense, in other areas, not so much.  Other than some people may be bothered.  Hw about some drone friendly areas of the park?  Not the entire park, but a couple spots, where there are no animals to scare into stampeding, no hot springs to foul.  Fr those who abhor drones, there would be drone free majority of the park. 

As I said, I do not have a drone, but for me, I would like to watch one.

We can all get along if we try.

i can find nothing about drone crashes, behind the ban on drones, here is a link to the nat park info on the ban.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanned-aircraft-in-the-national-parks.htm

can you please post up the info about the two crashes you site.
thanks.

Back
Top Bottom