soon to be TT owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jairazona

HI guys and gals... My name is Jair and I am from NY (the state). after staying with family and friends who have RV's, My wife and I are in the process of buying our first TT. We  have 2 4 year olds girls and like the layout of the Jayco 32bhds (keeping the bedrooms separate). Just wondering what you guys forgot to pack in your new rv...any pitfalls to lookout for

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for joining us.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the on going discussions.

Hi Jair and welcome to RV Forum.  Where abouts in NY? My wife Nancy & I are originally from Rome but also lived for many years in the mid-Hudson Valley region (Poughkeepsie).

What you need to take with you depends greatly on your own style of living, as well as where you are going, how long and season. Are you asking about basics (water hoses, sewer hose, propane extension cords) or things like food, clothing, BBQ grills, etc?

Welcome aboard Jair!  We are pleased to have you join us. 

Here at this site you will find friendly RV enthusiasts who collectively have a great deal of knowledge and are most willing to share it.  You folks are in for some great vacation time and I hope we can help you maximize it.  As you gain experience we will look forward to having you too jump in and assist our friends.

I'm not sure we forgot to pack things, but as we have traveled we have thought of things we needed/wanted and have stopped to purchase them.  Examples: electric skillet, crock pot, indoor/outdoor thermometer, electric space heater, gas grill, awning tie-downs, fly swatter, etc.

Geodrake's mention of an indoor/outdoor thermometer reminds me of much we use the vinyl stick-on thermometers that are on the outside of the window.  We have one on each side of the motorhome because invariably one side is in the sun and obviously is not accurate.  They stay on amazingly well too.  We've never lost one while driving.

ArdraF

Hey Gary I don't want to high jack this forum , but I see you mentioned you lived in Poughkeepsie at one time. I too am originally from Westchester county , but then my wife and I moved to Poughkeepsie for four years prior to moving to NC. We were off Vassar rd. in the Red Oaks area.

Great area cheaper than Westchester, sorry we moved b, but couldn't afford to go back now anyway. Lol

Brett

I also take an electric blower , Keep in the TT . Some empty buckets, pop-up outdoor garbage can . You will see as you go and what other people bring will give you ideas.

Welcome to the forum.  The last time we were boondocking, we forgot to pack cups we could toss and ended up washing a sink full of cups.  We try not to generate too much trash but we were also trying to conserve water.

Good question Buckloe823, that trailer is a big TT -- it has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10250 lbs.    He is getting into seriously big truck country:  F250 or so.

Wow what a response! Thanks for the welcome I will try to answer the questions
We are from the Hudson Valley, Orange County
We are towing it with my 2001 Chevrolet Silverado HD 3500

I havent thought of propane extension cords, fly swatter, awning tie-downs or indoor outdoor thermometers... they are now on my list

Thank you

We are towing it with my 2001 Chevrolet Silverado HD 3500

That should do the job, unless you have the 6.0L V8 which would be sub-marginal.  

To your list, you should add a 25 ft length of cheap, colored garden hose for sanitary clean up purposes -- you do not want to use your good water hose for those chores.   A curved jaw pair of 12" Channel Lock pliers are nice for hose fittings.   A painters 2 or 3 gallon plastic bucket for chean ups and storing your sewer hose fittings between uses.  A gallon of chlorine bleach for clean ups.  Two 10' lengths of good quality sewer hoses like Rhino and a coupling for them -- campground sewer inlets get located in strange places for the sites -- some too far, some too near.  Gloves for sewer handling -- the high guantleted black uruthane gloves sold in hardware stores are excellent.  

No gasser I went with the Isuzu Duramax diesel... it was killing me for a while at the gas pump. I even ran Bio-diesel untill the winter came.
Not sure but my brother inlaw said I will need a donut for the sewerline for some campgrounds?

"...propane extension cords..."  Well, it's an invention I've been working on, involving an LP-to-AC converter, you see.  ;D  Until I've perfected it, you might want to insert a comma after "propane" and continue to plug your extension cords into an old fashioned 120vac outlet.  :(

RV Roamer said:
"...propane extension cords..."   Well, it's an invention I've been working on, involving an LP-to-AC converter, you see.  ;D  Until I've perfected it, you might want to insert a comma after "propane" and continue to plug your extension cords into an old fashioned 120vac outlet.  :(

Well, I guess the day hasn't been a complete failure--I did learn something after all. "I need to punctuate other posts so I understand what they meant to say."  ;) Thanks.

Richard

jairazona said:
No gasser I went with the Isuzu Duramax diesel... it was killing me for a while at the gas pump. I even ran Bio-diesel untill the winter came.

Now you can be glad you did.   8)  The gasser would have come in in the 9000s for a tow rating and in operation would have taken a 20% hit in power operating  for altitude in the mountain or Pacific west.

Not sure but my brother inlaw said I will need a donut for the sewerline for some campgrounds?

Yeah, the best is a bushing that mates the slip joint of your hose elbow filtting to the screw thread found in most campground sewer inlets.  Prevents the escape of sewer odor and keeps the fitting from kicking out when dumping.  See the example HERE and a variation on the idea HERE.

any ideas on insurance? Ive called most of the agents around me but none of them has ever wrote a quote... not giving me the warm fuzzy feeling if you know what i mean

Hi Jair, welcome to the forum! We own an '08 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS, and we love it! It's better now that some of the bugs have been worked out, that's just the way it is when you buy a new one! But it has plenty of room for the 4 of us and 2 dogs. I'm sure that you will enjoy yours! We switched to a Progressive policy for this TT, we had a policy with a different company for our last TT but went with Progressive this time. I'm sure there are many different insurers and just as many reasons that people have made the choices that they've made!  ;D All you can do is shop around and choose which works best for you in your situation, just like the rest of us RV'ers here have done!
If you have any questions about the 32BHDS, don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of friendly, helpful people here at the forum. They've helped me out a lot with questions that we've had!
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack1776
Back
Top Bottom