Storms, Winds, and a Damaged RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clark,
First, thank you for sharing your journey with us.  I remember the first day I saw the story and blog post showing my wife the rig under the tree and we both got sick to our stomach over that image and the thought of our rig under an oak tree.  We are both very sorry for your loss!

You are particularly vague on many points and that is your prerogative I, also being a USAA/Progressive policy holder, am a bit concerned about the final negotiations.  My rig is insured for a specific maximum value minus my deductible.  In my case it is 42,000, which seems to be tied to the NADA value of my rigs based on my zip code.  My rate is based on the likelihood of a loss vs that total pay out cost.  It seems fair to me, as long as the number then ended up paying you is reasonably close to that maximum dollar amount based on your description of the rig as tip top.

So long story short how close did you get to your insured amount?  I had to specifically ask Progressive to increase my value above the financed amount of my rig and that increased my premium.  I'm wondering reading this now if that was worth it?

Thanks,
Jeff

jeffbrown said:
Clark,
First, thank you for sharing your journey with us.  I remember the first day I saw the story and blog post showing my wife the rig under the tree and we both got sick to our stomach over that image and the thought of our rig under an oak tree.  We are both very sorry for your loss!

You are particularly vague on many points and that is your prerogative I, also being a USAA/Progressive policy holder, am a bit concerned about the final negotiations.  My rig is insured for a specific maximum value minus my deductible.  In my case it is 42,000, which seems to be tied to the NADA value of my rigs based on my zip code.  My rate is based on the likelihood of a loss vs that total pay out cost.  It seems fair to me, as long as the number then ended up paying you is reasonably close to that maximum dollar amount based on your description of the rig as tip top.

So long story short how close did you get to your insured amount?  I had to specifically ask Progressive to increase my value above the financed amount of my rig and that increased my premium.  I'm wondering reading this now if that was worth it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
Give some close consideration to increasing your Actual Cash Value (ACV) on your policy!  ???  If you're experience is similar to ours you'll find that upon a lose (assuming a total lose) the value of the RV will NOT be assoicated with the ACV but rather the value placed on the RV by the adjuster.  Our adjuster did a market survey (comps) of what he felt were similar RVs.  Namely, same model/year.  He then removed the high and low cost RVs and averaged the remaining.  In summary the value was approximately what we paid for our RV but certainly didn't consider the months of research and looking to find a RV in good condition OR the cost of getting the RV to our location.  We found it in Texas and we live in TN.  It ain't cheap.  :eek: 

To answer your question more directly, we had owned the RV 2 months and we got an amount as described above.....it was NOT the ACV on the policy.  My opinion is to not insure it for any more than what you think it will take to replace your RV with an 'average' RV of the same model & year.  Anything more than that and you're simply paying for nothing.  That's my observation.  .....besides NOT insuring my next RV with Progressive.

In 2 weeks, at a rally in Pine Mountain, Ga, we will have a certified appraiser do a thorough appraisal on our coach, just for this reason

I  am so sorry for your problems!!  I had a Hail/Storm claim on my motor home a few years ago.  At that time I ad my policy with a "NATIONAL" company and the whole experience sucked!  It took 2-1/2 years to get everything fixed.  My watchword became, "Let me speak to the Supervisor!"  It was horrible.  A couple of months ago I made a bad turn and crunched three of my bay doors and, with Progressive, they were GREAT.  I couldn't have asked for better service!

Who knows.  I DO know that I will never go with that "NATIONAL" company again!

One thing that may hav helped this time is that I have gone through an Agent--PoliSeek, and they are REALLY helpful!

I don't know that I posted the final outcome of our insurance ordeal but if anyone is interested please look at our blog.  In short, the amount of the final reimbursement from Progressive Insurance was reasonable; however, their timeliness was in our opinion unacceptable.  I simply don't believe that 3+ weeks is customer service.  Ironically I've had several opportunities to discuss my experience with both USAA and Progressive.  If Progressive Insurance would have been as aggressive during the claim as they were in gathering information after-the-fact, I'd have been (pardon the pun) a happy camper.  ;D

Three weeks sounds ok to me on a major claim like that. Two is probably a minimum. It took National Interstate 6 weeks to approve the $50k in repairs on mine, even though the shop and their field adjuster had an agreed estimate in two weeks and the front office had it in their hands at that time. I even discussed the various items on the phone with them and provided extra documentation for a few items.  After 6 weeks they nitpicked a few things and rubber stamped it and sent a check the same day. Could have done that easily in a day or two, but they didn't.

Well, almost 3mos later.... got our awning fixed....  May look into installing a wind sensor, automatic retracting device, however until then won't make the mistake of leaving it out when going to bed, $500.00 deductible and trouble of getting it repaired is just not worth it.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Three weeks sounds ok to me on a major claim like that. Two is probably a minimum. It took National Interstate 6 weeks to approve the $50k in repairs on mine, even though the shop and their field adjuster had an agreed estimate in two weeks and the front office had it in their hands at that time. I even discussed the various items on the phone with them and provided extra documentation for a few items.  After 6 weeks they nitpicked a few things and rubber stamped it and sent a check the same day. Could have done that easily in a day or two, but they didn't.

Gary,
I'd agree with you if I hadn't heard of so many others that had truly major damage on their homes and had checks in hand within a few days.  One thing that confirms my belief is the fact that Progressive has called me to state their apology for the claim taking 'well more than it should have.' ....anyway, we're downsizing and looking at TT now.

Back
Top Bottom