suspension/handling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gene50 said:
Since the chassis of your RV is the Ford E450, It has the twin I beam front suspension.

The camber setting is built into the individual Ibeams on each side  at the factory and is set to match hey specific ride height.

As weight is applied to the front axles the front suspension, The ride height decreases and the axle pivots  like a pendulum on its side so the tire will naturally lean inwards. The same thing will happen as the front springs lose their strength and collapse under the normal weight of the vehicle. This can also happen very easily when the vehicle is parked for long periods of time.

The technician who checks your front suspension for wheel alignment will need to measure ride height at the fender lip and also the clearance between the axle bumper  on each side of the vehicle.

It is possible that you may need to replace the springs in order to restore ride height and camber settings.

Castor is the other angle that is the forward or backward tilt of the king pin at the top.

That may or may not be adjustable depending on how the vehicle is set up.

However it is impossible to correctly measure or set any of the wheel alignment angles unless ride height is correct. That includes both caster and camber and also the toe settings of the front wheels.

The other consideration on your vehicle at the mileage that has accumulated is the shock absorbers.

While the shock absorbers do not carry any of the static load of the weight of the vehicle,  they do affect the dynamic loading of the front suspension and the dynamic changes in the front wheel alignment angles as you go down the road and the suspension compensates for the surface of the road.

What all that means is having your wheels aligned without adequate shock absorbers will not prevent tire wear and handling problems that will happen because Of changes in the wheel alignment angles while the vehicle is moving.

Gene,

Eventually I am going to need a front end alignment for my C.  I am in the process of having some work done on my suspension.. 

Interesting what you say about Ride height needing to be correct first. 

I moved out of San Antonio (Metro) to small town Texas. 

The business I thought would do front end alignments on MH said they don't work on MH of any kind.

I need to find out who the city has does their Maint on larger fleet vehicles.

I have started the ball rolling on my suspension upgrade and have bought parts which consist of a Roadmaster sway bar and a RSSC stabilizer package, bolting hardware package for my 2017 Winn 32'5" Class C on the E450.

Question: Will the Alignment be possibly messed up by the tech when installing the RSSC stabilizer to the front?  Or will caster, camber remain as is due to the install-bolt on procedure?

X-Roughneck said:
Gene,

Eventually I am going to need a front end alignment for my C.  I am in the process of having some work done on my suspension.. 

Interesting what you say about Ride height needing to be correct first. 

I moved out of San Antonio (Metro) to small town Texas. 

The business I thought would do front end alignments on MH said they don't work on MH of any kind.

I need to find out who the city has does their Maint on larger fleet vehicles.

I have started the ball rolling on my suspension upgrade and have bought parts which consist of a Roadmaster sway bar and a RSSC stabilizer package, bolting hardware package for my 2017 Winn 32'5" Class C on the E450.

Question: Will the Alignment be possibly messed up by the tech when installing the RSSC stabilizer to the front?  Or will caster, camber remain as is due to the install-bolt on procedure?

The steering stabilizer will not affect caster or camber. 

When installation instructions are followed, the toe setting will also be stable. 

You should not experience any adverse effects by having a correct installation done. 

After the new tires and alignment, check your tire pressures. Tire shops like to fill tires to near maximum. Try the pressures mentioned above perhaps.

Bill

Gene50 said:
The steering stabilizer will not affect caster or camber. 

When installation instructions are followed, the toe setting will also be stable. 

You should not experience any adverse effects by having a correct installation done.

Thanks Everybody for their $0.02.  Called the RV shop yesterday.  He told me the parts were in and that next time this week he should be ready for my RV.  He knows I want it done, but that I am not in a real big hurry either.  Wife has a wedding she is going to attend so we have no trips in the Que right now.  Our big one this summer with the Grand Daughter is the next big long distance.  Once repaired we will take it for a shorter trip just to make sure things are tight and proper.

On the topic of "wandering" at highway speeds:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut-aways with identical fixed, non adjustable caster/camber collars, "one size fits all". You can recognize these collars because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

If the RV builder never changed the Ford keyed collars, the typical result is:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will PROBABLY be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will PROBABLY be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will PROBABLY be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine at highway speeds.

So some RVs have a problem and some do not have a problem.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Does anyone know of a shop in the Los Angeles area that they can recommend to adjust the caster? Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom