The Downside of Cell Boosters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to wonder how much of those two more bars is noise. Does your cell now work in places where it didn't before? That is all that counts.

-Don- Ladson, SC
One bar is sketchy service with dropped calls. Rarely happens with my booster. However, stating the obvious, if there is no cell signal, a booster won't help.

Dutch-- how have you routed the cable from the antenna to your hotspot(s)?

Looks to me like a good use for the OTA antenna as we never watch anything OTA.

I used a Winegard 4-slot cable entry plate that I had on hand. It replaced an existing 2-port plate used for other antennas.

Dutch-- how have you routed the cable from the antenna to your hotspot(s)?

Looks to me like a good use for the OTA antenna as we never watch anything OTA.

We don't use OTA very often either, but we've been pleasantly surprised a few times when we found the OTA signals were quite adequate with the MIMO set peaked on the nearest cell tower. At our NY cottage, the closest cell tower is in a nearly perfect straight line with the mountain where most of the locals have their towers. Other times, the area cell signals have been quite strong without any external antennas connected to the hotspots, so of course the OTA antenna could be aimed anywhere.

I used the supplied antenna and mounted it on the OTA mast - It looks very similar to my OTA antenna except it's a lot smaller. It didn't really occur to me to try and connect to the OTA cable.
Just to avoid any confusion, each yagi has it's own coax, and the OTA antenna is still completely functional, also with its own coax. The only modification I made to the PTA antenna mount was to install a fabricated aluminum bracket that keeps the MIMO set in the same orientation as the OTA antenna while raising or lowering.

if there is no cell signal, a booster won't help.
There is always some cell signal everywhere. The problem is it's down in the noise level. And the trick is to amplify the signal more so than the noise. Not so easily done.

But directional antennas can help a lot. That's a good way to get more signal than noise.

-Don- Ladson, SC

There is always some cell signal everywhere. The problem is it's down in the noise level. And the trick is to amplify the signal more so than the noise. Not so easily done.

But directional antennas can help a lot. That's a good way to get more signal than noise.

-Don- Ladson, SC
Not true. For example, in your neck of the country, US50 east of Reno has many miles of zero cell service. Look at the coverage maps published by each carrier and you will see large empty spots where there are insufficient customers to justify service.

For example, in your neck of the country, US50 east of Reno has many miles of zero cell service.
I was saying the signals still exist, not that your cellphone will detect them. If there was no noise floor at all, you would get many more miles of range on a cell phone by amplifying the signal only without amplifying any noise.

The problem is we don't have the technology to make it possible. We can help it a little, but not much. It's rather difficult to get true infinite attenuation on a radio signal. But it is rather easy to get it down to an unusable level.

The trick it to amply the signal without amplifying the noise. The problem is RF amplifiers can ADD noise making the signal to noise ratio even poorer than you had to begin with. That doesn't mean a RF amp cannot be helpful in some situations, such as when having low receiver sensitivity to begin with.

-Don- Ladson, SC

Rob, Don may be technically correct* but the signals from a cell tower at 30-50 miles (and lots more in some areas) are so very weak that there's no current technology to detect them, let alone use them. So essentially there's nothing there.

* May be, in theory- but with them starting so weak, they may have been worn down to non-existence before they reach the further areas. At those freqs it doesn't take much (perhaps even dust) to attenuate even stronger signals down to nothing.

stronger signals down to nothing.
But probably never a TRUE nothing.

Start with a number such as four. Divide by two. Keep on dividing the resulting number by half (two). When do you get to nothing? The correct answer is NEVER. Radio signals are the same way, but there is no way to amplify them back up without adding noise and then having even less useable signal than you started with.

-Don- Ladson, SC

In free space I'd agree with you Don, but in the atmosphere with dust and such, in addition to the atmosphere itself, the attenuation will be much greater.

In any case, it's a moot point, since any theoretical wave out there is useless to us.

the attenuation will be much greater.
Yes, but when does it get to absolutely nothing at all? Perhaps never. I never said it would be useable, but if we could get rid of all the noise the wanted signal is buried under, it sure would help.

Is there such a thing as infinite attenuation? I kinda doubt it.

-Don- Ladson, SC

"very high attenuation characteristics" Kindna contradicts "infinite", doesn't it?

Is the spec on it only a few billion db of attenuation or is it truly infinite?

-Don- Hendersonville, SC (rest stop)
Well ok, given the depth of my understanding of the issue under discussion here I can only say, I have no freekin' idea. :confused:

Very interesting read.

Antennas in general seem to be somewhat skittish to me anyway.

Seems like you got to be holding your breath just right to get antenna working correctly.

Remember the days of holding the rabbit ears and the signal got better?

30 Minutes of Gilliagan's Island holding the tin foil just right, wink. ;)

I had a booster for a OTA TV antenna I tried not long ago. When i put that on the line and RESCANED the OTA signal I lost channels. Took that thing off.

I had purchased a antenna where the Beam was suppose to catch the TV Towers of the Big 3 Networks where I currently live. Ended up adding a 2nd antenna inside my attic shooting direct at one tower with a splitter on the line for that CBS channel.

Even atmosphere, skip, effects the signals on some of that radio, stuff. Hard to fully understand how it all is playing out with your local gear just eye balling the results.

JD

Back
Top Bottom