The longest you have been stuck in traffic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not my longest trip, but almost certainly the longest I've been stuck not moving. Not really sure how long it was...at least 3 but maybe 4 hours I'd guess...

was not long after getting the RV. Leaving Disney on an overpass getting onto I-4 Eastbound, roughly here 28.356685, -81.522089 28°21'24.1"N 81°31'19.5"W · Orlando, FL 32821

Some poor soul on a motorcycle had just passed us...and died about 1,800 ft ahead of us.... RIP....but we had no way of knowing that at the time. 2 lanes in basically a locked alley on the ramp bridge, stopped cold. Many hours later folks ahead of us started turning around and backtracking...I guess the police finally told them to do so... road would be locked down for hours.

I had to wait a long time for the rest of the cars to clear out enough for me to make my best attempt at a 3-point turn in a 32ft RV...which was probably more like 6 or 8 point...maybe 10 ;)
Basically routed us backwards down the ramp to Epciot drive and forced us to turn about 178° to head East

That was one of the events that really solidified it for me that an RV is the best way to road trip.... bathroom, fridge, food, TV or other entertainment for the kids

Longest for me about 30 minutes back in 2005 Some idiot parked his car UNDER a semi trailer... at 65MPH.. it did not fit.. He won't be doing it again... Nice thing about a class A..... I made coffee while I waited.
I've dealt with longer closures but ... from the comfort of my desk.. (I shortened the overall time a bit by doing about 3 people's work... Well I kind of had the process down after all.. DETROIT freeways)

95 North of Winnemucca? 93 North of Wells? Or the road that goes north from Elko, (which I don't think I have ever been on)?

Or the small road that goes east to Denio, NV? I stayed at the motel there several times on motorcycle rides. Kinda out in the middle of nowhere.

-Don- Reno, NV
I don't remember, that was about 2005 on the 6-month inaugural trip with our new 5er. Picture dates are wrong from a computer error.

Attachments

• 040_40_0001 (2016_03_23 13_13_32 UTC).JPG
    040_40_0001 (2016_03_23 13_13_32 UTC).JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The longest was Jakarta Airport to the city. 4+ hours. The flight from Singapore was only like 2 1/2 - LOL...

Bangkok traffic is also world famous. Asia traffic is the worst. Don't get me started on Mumbai - LOL...

One night coming home from work in Manila I got within about 1/2 a mile from home and parked the car and walked.

I used to fly into LAX and drive to Upland to visit my dad. In the early years I could do the trip in 40-45 minutes. Then it eventually became routinely 1 1/2 hours.

I think of accident traffic jams as separate from "normal" rush hour jams.

I drove 4 times a month from Dayton to Louisville. Near the end of my career it seemed at least 2 trips a month were messed up by a turned over semi on I75. I don't think OTR truckers are as experienced as they used to be.

Don't remember the longest. Probably on the "285 Parking Lot" on the north side of Atlanta in Dec 1986. The girls (twins) were only two months old and we were heading 500 miles to FL so David's idiot mother (don't ask) could see her grandbabies. We were in a small compact car at the time and the girls were in car seats with our poor 40lb dog squeezed between them. I hung over the back of the front seat, fed both babies a bottle, at the same time. Then changed each one's diaper, on my lap, before tucking them back into the car seats. That seemed like it was the longest trip to FL I've ever done. The trucker who was creeping along next to use, had a good view thru our back window and windshield of what I was doing. I though he was going to die laughing. An RV would have been nice for that. Even better would have been if we had just run US441 like I said to.

The most recent was on US380 near White Sands Missile Range (NM). When they are doing the bombing runs, the road traffic is stopped and we wait until the plan has made it's run. Sometimes the wait gets a bit lengthy. The last time (quite a while back), we were in the Class C. We were at the west end of the road where some portable toilets were sitting and had been there for a good half hour. Some idiot walks up and asks if their kid can use the toilet in our RV. My husband simply points at the portable toilets and asks what was wrong with those. The woman says her kid can't use a portable toilet. My husband looked at her and told her that not only was an RV toilet not much different than a portable toilet but we didn't have the water switched on (we always turned off the water pump switch when traveling). She got rather nasty about that. David looked at me and said, if that kid is too good for a portable toilet then they don't need to go too badly. A few people stopped by and asked what the deal was. Apparently the woman was complaining loudly on the way back to her car. They couldn't see why the kid couldn't use the portable toilets either. Keep in mind that there are no other toilets on the road between San Antonio (home of the very first Hilton Hotel... before there was a Hilton Hotel empire) and Carrizozo, or about 60 miles.

A bit off topic but this type of question invariably lead to: do you let other people use your onboard toilet...
I never let strangers who knocked on our door to use our toilet (we used to live about 1/4 mile from a Ruby & Sapphire mine that was open to the public and we had people asking about once a week in the summer). We do not let ANYONE inside our rigs when traveling. And very few get inside our rigs when parked. We spent the money to buy campers because we like to have a toilet, etc when we travel. Otherwise we would have stuck to tents. If we (admittedly poor people) can scrape up the funds to buy USED campers, then people who dress better and drive newer vehicles than what we drive, can come up with the money to buy their own camper aka portable clean toilet. Besides, no one was ever willing to give me their address so I could stop by their house and use their bathroom while passing thru. Odd how it never works like that.

And yes, the (used) truck has a (used) slide in camper that we drive to town daily. We like to have a clean toilet and it gives the dog someplace to nap while we go shopping. Which we have to do today.

Snow storm March 31, 1998. 8 of us in 3 vehicles left work at 3:30 and got on I80 in the Poconos in eastern Pennsylvania. We went about 2 miles and came to a stop due to stuck trucks ahead. We sat there until 10 AM the next day. None of us had a cell phone and some of our 'neighbors' that did said they couldn't get service or the system was too busy. We finally made CB radio contact with someone that made a landline phone call for us. We all made it home around noon the next day. I still avoid the interstates in snowstorms

Back
Top Bottom