Tim has new electronic toy-a pacemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marsha/CA said:
Ardra,  Our insurance pays for it and considers it  "preventative".  I know of a few others where their insurance pays for the shingles vaccine too.  One couple is on Medicare, so yep, I guess things have changed.

Bob, Tim is getting his pacemaker "ID" card for the airports.  Now, when we get together with you, we can talk about Tiffins and pacemakers.  It'll be fun.  ;) 

Re the metal detector at the airports; if it's a cute girl, he might like the pat down better than the metal detector thing anyway.... ;D

Marsha~

Re: the pat down at the airports. I wish ,in the almost 19 years that I have had one only one pat down by a woman and (sigh) she was far from cute. But there is always hope (S)

Marsha, I chose the quick full body scan as the line was way shorter than waiting for the "pat down."

Jayne got her pacemaker on Tuesday and is feeling a lot better. She was scheduled to come home today.

Re the Shingles vaccine.  This morning I saw something in a magazine that reminded me to check on when we got the vaccine.  It was April 2007 which probably was before Medicare started covering it.

ArdraF

Marsha,

We live about a 1 mile from a hydroelectric plant...gonna ask about that too!

Unless Tim is planning on a visit to the plant or would be very near say 100 yards no worries. The plant does generate a huge magnetic field. Both in the field windings and core. Welding machines are a more real danger but easy to avoid.
I manage a large Co-Generation facility, we do not allow pacemakers in the building, we do have help in the yard with pacemakers and have had zero issues. Fact is if we did we would move them out quickly.
Tim, all the best.
Jim

The hydroelectric plant reminded me of another one.  On our last trip to Alaska, we went to North America's largest aluminum smelter in Canada.  They told us not to bring in credit cards and other things with magnetic strips because the magnetization would wipe them out.  Our guide gave us a handful of paperclips while outside.  When we got inside and opened our hands, the paperclips stood up in a vertical column as a demonstration.  So, I wonder if this means Tim should now carry a handful of paperclips in his pocket.  :-\

ArdraF

Update:
went to the doctor yesterday and the only thing he told Tim to watch was not to be around an arc-welder.  He also said that the reason for not going through the metal detector at the air port was so he didn't set off an alarm, it had nothing to do with how it would affect the pacemaker.  That was a new one for me.  He also said we didn't have to worry about the hydroelectric plant.  He reasoning was that the new pacemakers are well protected.  And, I didn't know this, that there were lots of different types of pacemakers, not just one standard type. 

Tim is still not feeling well, has no energy and is still sore from the shingles.  For the next 3 weeks, he can't raise his left arm over his head, is restricted to lifting no more than 10lbs and can't drive.  He can't hike, only flat walks.  So he's frustrated.  His bronchitis is nearly gone tho, which is a good thing.  We were planning on leaving for the summer around the first of June, now we need to stay until the end, so will be heading out later than we had hoped.  Good thing we hadn't planned on the Alaska trip this year.  It's scheduled for next year.

Bob, so glad Jane is better and I bet she will be happy to get home.  Is there someone who can keep an eye on her for a few days?

Thanks everyone! 
Marsha~

Maybe it's a good summer to stay close to home and just visit some of the beautiful spots in California? Then you'll enjoy Alaska next year even more :)

Wendy

Wendy, our plans were to go to Montana, Idaho and Wyoming this summer to do some flyfishing; and we still hope to do that.  If not, we'll do your idea....hit all the great places in California.  We are just getting a later start than we expected.  Plus we need to be home by Sept 1st, Kasey (granddaughter) goes to Kindergarten this year and we want to be there.  We had planned on Alaska for next summer, so that was a good thing.

Marsha~

Marsha, we will pray that Tim's health improves rapidly and permanently.

We are seriously considering returning to Alaska next year as well, poor health and wealth not withstanding.  We would enjoy the possibility of a mini rally somewhere in the far north.

Lou, let's plan on it!!  We would love to meet up with you guys somewhere in Alaska.  I think there are a few others who are planning to go Alaska so we could easily come up with a mini-rally!  Maybe at several locations.

BTW, prayers and good thoughts are working, he's much better today, plus he gets his first shower in 8 days, that's bound to help the spirits.

Marsha~

he gets his first shower in 8 days, that's bound to help the spirits.

To say nothing of the ambiance :D

Glad to hear he's on the mend.

Howdy, Marsha and Tim.
WOW, I sure missed what happened to y'all!!!  VERY glad to hear that Tim received his pace maker in a timely fashion and that he is on the mend. He has a new lease on life, thank goodness.

To answer your concerns about Jayne, she is pretty much on her own. But she is resilient and tough!!!

Best regards,
Jack and Liz

Marsha:

Re: lack of energy!  Could be due to shingles as well.  I came down with them a few days before we were to leave on our winter sojourn to AZ from ME.  It was a lousy trip for me, as all I wanted to do was sleep for the first few days and then naps every day for what seemed to be months.  And, I supposedly got to the doctor early and got the miracle pill within the prescribed 72 hour period, and was supposed to have had an easy case.  ::)  Just a heads up, but Tim may have trouble for a few weeks/months anyway, which you may not be able to pinpoint which illness is causing it. 

Daisy

Marsha - Did you get the shingles vaccination?

Mike's got a VA appointment next week. I think we'll hit them up for the vaccine if they've got it available. I'm, of course, much too young for the vaccine :)

Wendy

Shingles arrived at my doorstep last December just a few days after my 70th birthday.  Like Daisy, I received the miracle Rx, maybe not within the first 72 hours, but close.  I had a very mild case compared to horror stories I've heard from others, but was still fatigued.  Sometimes all out of proportion to whatever energy I was expending at the time.

Tim --- take lots of naps.  You earned them!  Seriously, extra rest does seem to help the healing process. Having shingles and a pacemaker installation at the same time is even more reason to treat yourself to some extra down time.

Margi 

While I don't consider myself " up there in age" I have had a couple of bouts with Shingles.  Absolutely no fun at all.  My Doctor tells me I am not a candidate for the vaccine as  I have already had them. I have many Chicken pox scars from my severe bout with Chicken pox as a kid.  But alas I can get shingles again.  The tingling and pain of nerves involved is no fun at all.

My deepest sympathies to those who suffer.  I know your pain, frustration, fatigue and lousy feeling overall.  Please don't consider the cost involved of the vaccine, it is worth  the price.
BB

Betty,

Our Dr recommended that Pat get the vaccine even though she had had shingles a few years ago.  The recommendation changed some time ago as we had the vaccine in 2008.  Ask again and see what his/her position is now.

Jim Godward said:
Our Dr recommended that Pat get the vaccine even though she had had shingles a few years ago.  The recommendation changed some time ago as we had the vaccine in 2008.  Ask again and see what his/her position is now.

Jim,

I'm on it.  I will email my Dr  in the morning.  We have Kaiser and they are  most proactive in  handling medical issues, so we shall see.

Betty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom