Tomtom GO 910

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary

RV Roamer said:
I had the 2620 set for "bus" and it didn't have any effect that I could see. Neither did "truck".  The lady in the box still wanted to take every goat track she could find, take short cuts through cities rather than staying on truck routes or major highways, make U turns on two lane roads and sundry other improbably feats.  On more than one occasion this has led me to suggest anatomically infeasible acts to her!

I have an City Navigator V7 update disk for a 2620 if anybody is interested.

I was using Street Atlas in boonies of MO around Branson and it gave me a route that went to a small out of the way town that was almost deserted. Told me to turn right which I started to do; I found a city park. The necessary bridge across the stream was still in place but the road was now a park.Had to wing it on dead reckon for a while till Molly figured out how to get me out.

Nelson

All depends on the source of the Tom Tom maps since it's a British company. Can't tell by looking at the website. Seems like I have found the most accurate map data come from Navteq. As far as free updates, is it a matter of you get what you pay for? Sure wish you could take these GPSs for a test ride. Until then, I'll stick with S&T for planning and Copilot for navigation on the laptop. Complaints about the sixe but now I see Best Buy has a Samsung and Sony ultra small laptops for sale. Samsung has a better price. Check out the Samsung Q1 here: Samsung Q1

Hi Bruce,

Not really looking for free upgrades but would like them to be less than the original purchase. Obviously there's work involved and some sort of fee is required. At least they've cut the price since the last time I looked. I've found all mapping systems are behind the times when they are released. There are always changes made by various highway departments that don't get inputted in time.

I don't expect to get upgrades for free either but when I pay for an upgrade I expect some improvement such as correction of errors in previous versions.  I have not seen much if any improvement from City Nav version 1 to Version 6 as far as errors are concerned.  Maybe they incorporate changes that occur such as new developments but I haven't really noticed any mistakes corrected.  That is why I no longer recommend Garmin.  If they really thought their mapping software was so great then I would think they would have no problem offering a money back Guarantee.

Bruce,
Personally, I'd rather spend the same amount or less and get a fully functional laptop with lots more memory, faster processor, better o.s., etc. That Samsung, a tablet; not a laptop, is pretty limited for the money they want. Just my opinion.

Want to know about the source of the map data in your GPS navigation program? Here's an article that goes into detail about most of the programs: GPS Mapping Data Sources, Very interesting....at least I thought it was so.  ;D

Great site Bruce,

I guess that means all GPS software is just about the same or from the same source. The other day I was at Fry's and picked up a MyGuide 3050 for $199 bucks on sale, took a 227 mile trip to see our grandkids and was impressed by the detail it had. Cant say how good it will be for the long term but for less than 200 bucks it seems like a great deal to me.

BruceinFL said:
Want to know about the source of the map data in your GPS navigation program? Here's an article that goes into detail about most of the programs: GPS Mapping Data Sources, Very interesting....at least I thought it was so.? ;D

Thanks, Bruce. I noticed on my trip to San Jose from Sacramento over the Holidays that the actual freeway exit sign verbiage was displayed on my newly purchased Garmin 2610 when exiting one freeway and entering another. From the article you referenced I see that is a new feature of NavTeq used by Garmin. My 2610 came with V8 maps, plus I updated the firmware w/the free download from the Garmin site. That should keep me a happy camper for at least 2 or 3 years.

Jim,
I found a review of the TomTom by that same person. It was an early model TomTom, not the 910. Also found searching around that website an article about various GPS mapping products' displays. The author had them all mounted on a dashboard and took pictures of the displays in various lighting conditions.

Bruce,

I checked out that review. Looks like the TomTom has the worst screen of all of them. Now that won't do. It looked really great inside the house at night. ;D ;D

Jim Dick said:
Bruce,

I checked out that review. Looks like the TomTom has the worst screen of all of them. Now that won't do. It looked really great inside the house at night. ;D ;D

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Remember though, that was an early model. I think the first they came out with. Maybe the 910 is better. At least it's bigger.  ;D

Best Buy has 7 or 8 different live GPS units on display if you want to look at variations all in one place.

RV Roamer said:
Bob,
Give us an update in 3 months or 3000 miles (whichever comes last) and let us know what you think then.? :-\

I will, Gary -- for now, I have a new toy, and have only traveled about 500 miles using it.  So I don't know yet what I don't know. After my travels to AZ and possibly TX in the spring I will have a better feel for it. However, part of my purchase decision was based on members here that love the unit -- and none had the upgrade as yet. So we shall see. The price was right by getting the refurbished package, so if I decide it won't work, I won't be out that much. But for now, I doubt that will be the case.

As with MH's, I don't believe in buying new. By the time I tire of the 2610, the pricing and abilities of the newer generation will be down in my price range. OTOH -- a 7200 series Garmin would look great on the dash of that new Tradition. They were around $860 at Fry's this past week.

The Tradition has a built-in Magellan 760 that  displays through the color monitor that is also used for the back-up camera and Trip-Tec computer.  But that model of Magellan has been discontinued and no map updates are available, so I may be looking for something else in the future.

After owning an SP III and a 2620, I personally am rather negative on the Garmin Street Pilot models. The last straw occurred in West Virgina a couple months back when I made a wrong turn (following written directions!) and was heading down two lane roads with no turn-arounds anywhere.  I then invoked the GPS to find  a route back to the destination and it sent me onto one lane roads, then gravel roads and finally to a turn onto an [alleged]  road that had not existed in 20 years!  If that had been an isolated experience I would have shrugged it off, but it was typical. Whenever I need it most, the routings are wrong or missing. And when the routes are easy, I don't need a GPS to help.  I hope you are more satisfied than I have been.

Back
Top Bottom