Tomtom GO 910

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like when MS Street & Trips routed us on a 2-tracker in New Mexico that went through the river .... not over the river, but through the river (and it was a big river). Fortunately, we didn't turn down that road but we did have to drive 5 miles out of the way before finding a farm driveway where we could turn around.

I wonder how many billions of data points are contained when trying to list every address in the United States?  And how many are changing each year?  And we expect the mapping companies to have every last one of them correct? My philosophy is that the units are right 99% of the time and that is a lot better than I could do looking at a map (which probably came off the same database).

wendycoke said:
Best Buy has 7 or 8 different live GPS units on display if you want to look at variations all in one place.
They all look good indoors. It's outside that it counts.

The problem is poor routing more so than actual map errors. Yeah, there are plenty of map errors but they appear in the paper ones too.  But when selecting my own route via a map, I make value judgments about the roads I choose. I know I'm driving a big rig and generally avoid the smaller roads and congested areas.  And since I looked at the map myself and noted the actual roads I would be using, I generally know right away when things begin to go wrong. Not so when I am blindly following Ms Garmins directions and she suddenly wants to take a turn off a perfectly good road and try out some shortcut she has dreamed up.

I guess I should be impressed that the computerized routings work at all, but I've been lead astray too many times.

We use the Street Pilot for navigation in cities and for long trips, but don't rely on it to find remote places like campgrounds.  Street Atlas does as good a job at that, but we still rely on the campgrounds directions to actually get there.  None of the mapping data is perfect, and by nature, is going to be out of date in many areas.  It's impossible to keep either the maps or the POI databases up to the minute.  Since there are only a few sources for the data, it's not unusual for different devices and programs to show the same errors if they use the same data sources.

Of course, common sense is the final determinant in how we get somewhere.

RV Roamer said:
The problem is poor routing more so than actual map errors. Yeah, there are plenty of map errors but they appear in the paper ones too.  But when selecting my own route via a map, I make value judgments about the roads I choose. I know I'm driving a big rig and generally avoid the smaller roads and congested areas.  And since I looked at the map myself and noted the actual roads I would be using, I generally know right away when things begin to go wrong. Not so when I am blindly following Ms Garmins directions and she suddenly wants to take a turn off a perfectly good road and try out some shortcut she has dreamed up.

I guess I should be impressed that the computerized routings work at all, but I've been lead astray too many times.

That's where pre-planning comes in Gary. And why it pays to have more than one mapping software. Also have the copilot back up with paper maps.

BruceinFL said:
That's where pre-planning comes in Gary. And why it pays to have more than one mapping software. Also have the copilot back up with paper maps.

Pat always has the paper maps in her lap trying to find fault with Estelle. ;D ;D

BruceinFL said:
... it pays to have more than one mapping software. Also have the copilot back up with paper maps.

Yep, learned from my boating experience. I usually have 3 or more sources available at one time, including paper charts or maps. Since Chris doesn't do maps (or charts), I usually navigate and she's at the helm or in the driver's seat. It's much less stressful for both of us.

RV Roamer said:
I know I'm driving a big rig and generally avoid the smaller roads and congested areas.
Do truckers have units with special software considering the measures of their vehicles when computing? If so may that be the solution f?r voluminous RVs?

Agreed - you simply can't trust the nav systems on their own, so you have to be prepared with back-up info. Kind of makes me question why I spent all that $$ for the nav system.  I've got a couple of excellent (and much less expensive) digital maps on the PC and use them to review/plan each day's travel, even if I have a destination entered in the nav system That way I have a mental image of what route or routes are rational and can spot it when the nav system gets excessively creative in its routing.  And we keep a paper road atlas handy as well.

Do truckers have units with special software considering the measures of their vehicles when computing? If so may that be the solution f?r voluminous RVs?

Most of the navigation systems have a setting for trucks/buses/RV that supposedly takes the size/weight and maybe legal restrictions into account.  My experience with Garmin's version of this feature is far less than stellar. Maybe other vendors systems work better. I know of no special systems for commercial truckers - they seem to buy the same ones we do.

RV Roamer said:
Most of the navigation systems have a setting for trucks/buses/RV that supposedly takes the size/weight and maybe legal restrictions into account.  My experience with Garmin's version of this feature is far less than stellar. Maybe other vendors systems work better. I know of no special systems for commercial truckers - they seem to buy the same ones we do.

Gary

I use my Garmin 2610 both in my car and coach and find that the routing does change a bit depending on the vehicle setting. The truck setting will keep you on the more major roads (by designation-not by size or quality) and the car setting is a bit more adventurous.

I will review the day's travel the nite before on Streets & Trips and, after comparing the routing with City Navigator, will force the 2610 over the route that I prefer. But while I am driving, I have my speed, ETA and distance and time to turn information available. And on my laptop I have a larger map view and altitude displayed using Garmin's N-Route. For me those are all major pluses.

RV Roamer said:

The mapping software Garmin was using when I first purchased my SPII was far superior to  City Nav.  Unfortunately Garmin made Metroguide non routable probably to force folks to use City Nav.  Even though my copy of Metroguide is several years old I find it mor correct thatn City Nav in many cases.

So tonight Ron Ruward and I jumped in our CRV and headed to Fryes. I

had just arrived late this afternoon so had not switched the Garmin from the m/h to the CRV. As we left Fryes with Ron navigating his son called so he is pointing and talking at the same time.

Our 4 mile trip up I-45 to Fryes took 20 minutes or so coming back.

A Garmin sure would have come in handy! ;D ;D ;D

Jeff Cousins said:
So tonight Ron Ruward and I jumped in our CRV and headed to Fryes. I

had just arrived late this afternoon so had not switched the Garmin from the m/h to the CRV. As we left Fryes with Ron navigating his son called so he is pointing and talking at the same time.

Our 4 mile trip up I-45 to Fryes took 20 minutes or so coming back.

A Garmin sure would have come in handy! ;D ;D ;D

Jeff,

Whenever we have visitors either in FL or CT I always elect to drive. It's much easier to make the turns when I don't have to interupt someone who is telling a story. ;D ;D I also appreciate it when I visit someone and they drive. :)

You mean Ron can't talk and navigate at the same time? :D

Gary

>>Give us an update in 3 months or 3000 miles (whichever comes last) and let us know what you think then.<<

I've had the 2610 for years....Betty uses it all the time in the car to navigate & find places in new towns with no problems, can't have a better recommendation than that.  I also used a 7200 this summer to navigate  through Canada, Alaska & down to Yuma with no problems.

Mike (ex-f-221) said:

Copilot Laptop Live (ALK Technologies) has settings for various vertical clearances. You can pick the one that fits your vehicle.

Smoky said:
Bruce:

Are you saying that the TomTom mapping is inferior to other brands?

No, just questioning the data source. Have no experience with the system. But if you read one of my earlier posts in this thread, there is a link to an article which covers the various data sources for the many mapping software/units out there. (We report; you decide.  ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom