Towing vs car rental at destination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cbc66 said:
My wife and I are in the early stages of purchasing a class c rv.  One area of concern is getting around once we reach our destination.  Neither of our cars are built for easy towing so one consideration is buying an older car just for towing but that does not seem to make a lot of sense as it would one more item to store off site from our home--deed restrictions!  Most areas are we would travel pass through or near cities where we could rent a car.  Just wondering if anyone out there has done that and could give me some pros and cons.  Not sure how much towing a car cuts the fuel mileage of the RV but that savings could go towards the cost of a rental.  Appreciate any ideas and thoughts.

We were in same dilemma and our first year with our class c, we rent cars mostly because of finding a flat towable car was near impossible for the money I was willing to spend. Miracles of miracles when a 2010 Ford Escape, manual transmission and under 60,000 miles appeared on my radar. What made it better, we paid $6,000 plus taxes/fees. 

The real plus, I can load the Escape up and carry our kayaks on top. The storage in the Escape is invaluable and why I wanted a SUV to tow, for the room.  My RV came with a blue or tow bar and I bought and installed the tow plate on the Escape and did all the wiring. A portable RVI brake controller and we were set.

Our first year with the motorhome we didn't want to invest in the tow equipment for our older Honda, so we rented, we found a rental company that would agree to rent us an older car for 5 months, came out to $1800.  That was a pretty sweet deal, but it also would have paid for the hitch equipment, so for our second season we set the Honda up.  It also helped that a friend of mine had an extra Blue Os and Brake buddy he let go for a song.

Fast forward, we are on our 4th toad. 2nd Blue Ox.  Wouldn't do it any other way, but we are full timers.

You just have to try the rental thing and see how you like it, project the expenses for a couple years, then decide.

If planning on renting be sure to reserve a car - so there is one available for you when you get there.
Once our toad broke down and transportation was necessary since we were shopping for real estate in a 3 county area, there were no rental cars available. Fortunately our real estate agent was a real gem and carried us around to look at properties and also took me to a local parts store to buy the part I needed and to walmart to buy a GPS, the campground was nice enough to let me fix it there.
The Jeep broke down while going to replace a GPS which died that morning.
Another trip we planned on renting and not towing due to the distance and only being at destination a couple days. No cars available and ended up borrowing from a heavy smoker YUCK!.

My Towed:
2001 Dodge Neon purchased in 2013 for 2000
Cost to make it so I could tow it, another 2000
Repairs since. about 1000 (six years that car owes me nothing at all)
And being that old PL/PD insurance only no comprehensive.

Cost of my last rental over 300 for a long weekend (memorial day).
I will admit I bought insurance for the Jeep Liberty..

Don't take many rentals to pay for that Neon

Even better when you can find a car already set up for towing that matches your bars!  My previous car was a Suzuki Grand Vitara, all set up.
$4000. used it almost 3 years sold for $4000.

cbc66 said:
Thanks for all the ideas and information.  If we do pull the trigger on this, we may just try the rental thing for a while until we get used to driving the RV.  But in the long run, I do agree a TOAD makes sense.  But not sure who would win the war if we got rid of a car--my wife loves her Beetle and I love my Mustang!
the beetle would be light enough for a toad

PancakeBill said:
Even better when you can find a car already set up for towing that matches your bars!  My previous car was a Suzuki Grand Vitara, all set up.
$4000. used it almost 3 years sold for $4000.
I bought a Geo Tracker all set up with the braking set up for less that 4K

Have you rented one before so that you know for sure that's what would suit you?? I couldn't tell from your post-it sounded like you hadn't. So, that would be my first move - always try rv rental before you consider buying-especially such a huge investment.

I've done both.  I have a older Ford Focus and tow dolly to use when rental is not available for one reason or another.  When we went to SoCal it didn't make sense to tow from one coast (NC) to another for just a few days usage so we rented.  When we went to MA this year we towed because we would arrive on a weekend and rental pick up could not be arranged.  Sometimes we do not need a vehicle at all.  It depends on the situation.  We are fortunate to be able to store our RV and toad on our property so storage is not a problem.  If you decide to rent make sure the company will deliver the rental to your location or at least pick you up to get the rental.  Also be aware of weekends.  Pick ups and drop offs on weekend can be problematic.

If renting, you don?t need to have a car every day. We?ve arrived on weekends and made arrangements for the car to be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on our plans.

How long is your class C?  I got pretty dang good at driving it before we got a toad.  Never rented - Just unhooked and drove the "C".  Even took it into Canada for a 4 hour Niagra viewing.  It looks the same from that side BTW.. ;D

Lot of factors you have to consider. If your only going to be camping a few times a year, renting would be an option. If you are going to be staying a campgrounds near city's or town, the same.
If your going to be out alot, and changing locations frequently, than towing would probably be more economical. Also, if your going to be camping in rural areas, there might not be a rental place redily available. Lots of really nice campgrounds are off the beaten track, maybe several miles from small towns that have no rentals available.
Solution might be to get rid of one of your "un-towable" vehicles and get a veh that you can tow and use as a daily driver. We have a class c and we tow a Subaru Crosstrek. Personally, we would not run without the toad...it's just too darn convienant. Nice to be able to hop into the Subi and run all over sight-seeing, or just running up to the store.
As far as milage, towing may cut down 1 mpg or so, but that also depends on a lot of factors. Our Lexi is a 30 footer, and milage, towing, varies between 7 and 9 mpg. Depends on speed limit, up or down hill, wind behind me or what direction the birds are flying. Don't really don't care as we didn't buy a 12,000 pound box on wheels to worry about gas milage. Poor gas milage is just a fact of life with an rv.
Grumpy
That’s the best piece of information I have read since we started our research!
We rented a 28 foot classy and did a trip across the East Coast of Canada several years ago and that was our only issue was once we got set up at camp for several nights and we wanted to go somewhere we were tied down.
Now that we are looking to do this ourselves and own the RV We are in the same boat as far as do we tow a vehicle or do we rent.
For the number of times we may do a trip with multiple night overnight stops in the same place I’m almost thinking that putting a scooter for in town trips for small items might be an option as well??
Always enjoy your posts!

That’s the best piece of information I have read since we started our research!
We rented a 28 foot classy and did a trip across the East Coast of Canada several years ago and that was our only issue was once we got set up at camp for several nights and we wanted to go somewhere we were tied down.
Now that we are looking to do this ourselves and own the RV We are in the same boat as far as do we tow a vehicle or do we rent.
For the number of times we may do a trip with multiple night overnight stops in the same place I’m almost thinking that putting a scooter for in town trips for small items might be an option as well??
Always enjoy your posts!
The post you replied to is from 2014...

I think this is a good discussion, worthy of being brought up, once in a while for new folks.
We have been pulling a Toad because we like our own vehicle and never know where we will want to take off and tour around.
And we have had two occasions where something happened and the toad had to go to a shop.

Enterprise Car rental is all over the place.
I have been a customer of enterprise for years from back in the work years. You can usually call them, and they can come pick you up.
So, that is one option if you don't wish to deal with a Toad.
And, if you know where you're going to be, call ahead and have a car waiting when you get there.

Last edited:
We are switching to the rental idea for the remainder of our Motorhoming days. (Switching to an SUV and tear drop trailer next year). This thread has some great info.

Last edited:
People tell you:

This is an OLD thread. But, the forum also tells you to make sure the question has not already been ask.

Either you can ask a question or you must hunt down an old thread.

What does the forum really want you to do?

Should we bring up an old post or just ask the same question again in a NEW thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom