Travel Trailer Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grumpa

My question is about my travel trailer tires blowing out. I have a 2019 Mesa Ridge travel trailer. I have had numerous tire failures. I check the tire pressure, putting the pressure at 65psi for max weight capacity. I’ve tried 58-60psi during the summer to compensate for the heat build up. When I first had the TT the tires were nitrogen filled. I’ve had blown tires with all three scenarios. The gvwr is less than 8000lbs. does anyone have an idea why the tires would fail so often?

Welcome to the forum.
You need to pack the RV like you are going to use it, fill ALL the tanks and go and get it weighed. It may be way overloaded.
Also, how fast do you drive. Most tires are rated for 65 MPH tops.

What size tires?
Typically trailer tires should be inflated in the morning to max as listed on the side walls.
Like Rene suggested you really need to load the trailer as your going camping and drive across a set of scales to get accurate weight. Try to get weights on each tire, side to side. Compare that to the weight rating as listed on the tires.
Speed is also a trailer tire killer. Remember ST tires are only rated to 65MPH.

Ok, thanks. I was thinking about weigh. I will get it weighed get back. I was going going 70. But my other blown tires were no where near that speed.

IMHO, going over 70 towing is just waiting to have an accident. Do you really gain that much? I see it all the time and I also see rv’s on the side of the road with blow outs.

Mesa Ridge covers a lot of ground. 22 to 37foot TT's.
What model?
What tires. size, range and brand?
You can usually go up one range (say C to D) on the same rim, but not in every case. I went from C to D on my Jayco, and through research, got the best of the worst tires, Gladiator brand. The majority of tires in the ST range are not much more than time bombs waiting to go off. Gladiator got good reviews, and have an underground following in the work and towing industry as a decent tire.
Goodyear has recently moved their trailer tire manufacturing back to the states, and their Endurance line is gaining traction. Maxxis has always had tires that were favorable. Got big rims, E rated? Sailun has your rubber bands.
I recommend TPMS to monitor pressure and temp real time,that can give you indicators early on of a problem. And would be good if you slow down a bit. 70 is a good clip towing, and things happen fast in an emergency. 70 is 102 feet per second, covering more FPS than any length rig I've seen...
We stay in that 60 range, YMMV. We tow 18k, and have a 40 footer + long wheel base, Screw cab, long bed to slow down.
Hope you get it sorted. Tire failure is a pain in time, damage, and money.

1. Do not ever "compensate for the heat build up". Inflate for the load in the morning and leave it alone. The tire engineer already did the "compensating" when they built the psi chart.
  2. Trailer tires are typically sized at the legal minimum for the max axle load, so the best inflation is usually the sidewall max load inflation.
  3. Get the rig weighed. You may well be overloaded on one or both axles.
  4. ST tires have a max speed rating of 65. Don't exceed it.
  5. With the combination of operating at max load and max speed (and usually in the hottest weather), trailer tires are rarely long-lived. 4-5 years would be outstanding service for most larger trailers.
  6. You mentioned a 65 psi max, so you probably have Load Range E D tires. A load range E tire would allow you to use a higher inflation, and it at least lets you run at a psi below the tire maximum for less stress relative to capability. That's Might help longevity.
  7. A tire can be internally weakened just by running soft one time, especially under harsh conditions.

Last edited:
I also recommend moving up to the next load range in tires, and weighing it to see what you actually have going there.

My question is about my travel trailer tires blowing out. I have a 2019 Mesa Ridge travel trailer. I have had numerous tire failures. I check the tire pressure, putting the pressure at 65psi for max weight capacity. I’ve tried 58-60psi during the summer to compensate for the heat build up. When I first had the TT the tires were nitrogen filled. I’ve had blown tires with all three scenarios. The gvwr is less than 8000lbs. does anyone have an idea why the tires would fail so often?
You already have some good advice. I’ll add a few thoughts.

You say 65psi for max load, so I’ll bet your tires are load range D. As Gary points out, that’s likely bare minimum for your rig. The last bumper pull trailer I owned came from the factory with load range E tires, max cold inflation pressure 80 psi. It weighed just over 8000# loaded. Assuming your axles and rims are rated for your trailer’s weight, I’d get a set of load range E tires and run them at 80 psi, cold. Yes, they’ll get warmer and the pressure will go up, but that’s expected and normal. Under inflation will cause overheating and tire failure. My TPMS is great for watching tire pressures and temperatures while on the road.

Check the speed rating of your current tires. A J rating means 62 mph, K is good for 68. My factory installed load range E tires, on my 5th wheel, carry an L rating, or 75 mph. I use 80 psi cold and, under “normal” conditions, cruise the interstate at 70. About 8000 miles on the “China bombs“ and no problems yet. I’ll replace with Goodyear Endurance.

Goodyear Endurance tires, load range E, are N rated, or 87 mph.

There is an excellent article about tires in the latest RV magazine.

Good luck and safe travels!

I run the Goodyear Endurance on my Apex 275BHSS and can tell a difference in just the feel of the trailer behind me by changing the tires from Westlakes. Feels more stable. I usually stay 65 max even though they say you can do 87 lol.

Is it always the same tire blowing? This could indicate an alignment issue. String the tires and see if one of them is not hitting on both sides. Just run a string along the tires and see how it hits the tires. Both front and back of each tire should touch. If one tire is off you are essentially dragging it sideways as it rolls. This will build heat quickly.

Have you checked any of the tires that have failed for road hazards? We pull a lot of stuff out of tires on a daily basis.

1. Do not ever "compensate for the heat build up". Inflate for the load in the morning and leave it alone. The tire engineer already did the "compensating" when they built the psi chart.
  2. Trailer tires are typically sized at the legal minimum for the max axle load, so the best inflation is usually the sidewall max load inflation.
  3. Get the rig weighed. You may well be overloaded on one or both axles.
  4. ST tires have a max speed rating of 65. Don't exceed it.
  5. With the combination of operating at max load and max speed (and usually in the hottest weather), trailer tires are rarely long-lived. 4-5 years would be outstanding service for most larger trailers.
  6. You mentioned a 65 psi max, so you probably have Load Range E D tires. A load range E tire would allow you to use a higher inflation, and it at least lets you run at a psi below the tire maximum for less stress relative to capability. That's Might help longevity.
  7. A tire can be internally weakened just by running soft one time, especially under harsh conditions.
I agree with most but some ST tires I sell are rated up to 87 mph. That and it sounds like he might have 14 or 15" wheels on his TT so not sure if LRE tires would be available for it.

There are many things I love about this Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire: First, the enhanced shoulder design is something my particular trailer would benefit from through its ability to boost tread life and even wear, the center groove with help my trailer deal with all the wear and tear it’s going to experience on all those highways. Additionally, the nylon overlay adds to this feeling of this tire being able to handle the workload I require.

What was the date code on the failed tires? Tires are pretty reliable for up to five years - then every manufacturer says they have to be well inspected.

Old tires are often sold at "discount" stored - check the dates printed on the side.

Others have suggested moving up to the next higher load rated tires - YES! The last thing you want to do is skimp on a critical failure point that can cause accidents, destroy your TT and ruin your planned vacation.

There are many things I love about this Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire: First, the enhanced shoulder design is something my particular trailer would benefit from through its ability to boost tread life and even wear, the center groove with help my trailer deal with all the wear and tear it’s going to experience on all those highways. Additionally, the nylon overlay adds to this feeling of this tire being able to handle the workload I require.
The Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire is a top of the line, high-quality product from a tire manufacturer that caters explicitly to trailer owners. In being so, there are many things I love about this product.

The Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire is a top of the line, high-quality product from a tire manufacturer that caters explicitly to trailer owners. In being so, there are many things I love about this product.
May the Gods of questionable quality and pure chance shine upon you.
I will give you that some reviews may be older, and represent a different tire.
At the end of the day, it's still a made in PRC cheap tire.
But being made by parent company Sailun, it may be one of the best of the worst.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom