Well my surge protector saved me one more time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BillB3857 said:
So how do you keep these $300 pieces of hardware from growing legs and walking?

There are configurations that mount inside the RV.  I have one in my MH that is also the transfer switch.  A bit more expensive but it has been worth it for me.

Ned said:
Yes, the Progressive Industries power protectors will shut off the AC if the voltage goes below 104V or above 132V.  However, if you have a surge protector only model, not a power protector, then there is no voltage monitoring or protection, just surge protection.  What model did you get?

I got the  PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System.  Didn't even think of it walking off.  On our next trip we are going to be away from the RV all day for a day or two.  Can't leave it unplugged because our freezer needs power.

I put the Progressive 30 amp hardwired model in my trailer in an easily accessible spot behind a grille under the microwave oven. It was an easy job. I worked as a USFS campground host in the mountains the last two summers with a full-hookup site. The area is prone to falling trees and lightning strikes. The unit has shut down twice due to low voltage. I?m glad that I have it. I recommend it.

Ned said:
We have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C permanently installed and have used it with 20,30, and 50A outlets.  It's even detected problems with at least one 30A outlet.

Purchased the same unit per your recommendation awhile ago.  With this system, do you still check the service box with a VOM prior to plugging it in or do you allow the unit to do the diagnostics?  I understand that you can never be too careful, but was wondering if there could be a situation which would end up damaging the Surge Protector.

I trust the EMS unit and it's never failed me.  I don't think there's any reasonable chance of a pedestal failure that would damage the unit.  I just plug in and wait for the thunk of the relays closing about 15 seconds later.  If they don't close, then I check the remote panel for the error code.

Gregg said:
Purchased the same unit per your recommendation awhile ago.  With this system, do you still check the service box with a VOM prior to plugging it in

Good question!

I think the big advantage of the portable Surge Guard is I can use it like a tester to see if the power is good before moving the motor home into the site. In fact I did just that when I went looking for a different site after the maintenance guy couldn't fix the power at my pedestal.
To protect/keep it from walking I use one of these to slow them down.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/surge-guard-universal-lock-hasp/44333
I have used my 50 amp unit all the way down to 20 amp service with adapters. It still works great.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big foot
Back
Top Bottom