What are different ways to use my camper with full hook up on my land?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're very rural and mostly unregulated. For septic I just used two 55gal plastic drums, drilled a LOT of one inch holes in the bottoms, linked them together with two pieces of 4" pvc (one low, one high). I have the drain pipe going into one and the vent in the other and buried them just below the surface with a layer of gravel a few inches thick under them (had to rent an excavator for that).

It's not difficult to build a basic septic system unless the ground is rocky or full of tree roots. Then it becomes a real PITA, both to build and to keep it operational after. I'd want at least 200 gallons of tank capacity, but 500 would be much better. You can get away with a modest drain (leach) field in most cases. You can find septic construction info & videos online.

A well is usually harder, but again it depends on the terrain and the water table depth. You need to learn how deep you have to go to get safe drinking water - in some regions it will be over 100 ft.
Great advice. As for septic If I was on my own land and didn't have to worry about permits, inspections etc. I wouldn't worry about a "septic" system any larger than 200gals max with probably a 20-30' ditch 3-4' deep filled with lava rocks/septic rocks that I bought and hauled myself filled to about a foot from the top, 4" drain pipe hooked to the 200 gal MAX tank sloped about half a bubble to 10'. Covered with tar paper and dirt.
Well? I wouldn't worry a lot about drinking it, drinking water is cheap, some places .25 per gal bring your own jug. If you want filter the water for laundry. IF I didn't need a/c it would be solar and the occasional hr or so inverter generator to supplement the solar. I can run my 3800 wen inverter 3+ days an hr am hr pm on 1 gal of gas. $10 a week, cheap enough. Otherwise pay the fiddler and have the power company run in electric.

I wouldn't worry about a "septic" system any larger than 200gals max with probably a 20-30' ditch 3-4' deep filled with lava rocks/septic rocks that I bought and hauled myself filled to about a foot from the top, 4" drain pipe hooked to the 200 gal MAX tank sloped about half a bubble to 10'. Covered with tar paper and dirt.
Maanameg,
A lot depends on where the land is and how large it may be. Some states are more aggressive than others on such issues. There are also things that could get one reported such as drainage leaving your land or odors. I would want to be sure that what I put in was large enough to last and not back up or overflow after a few times dumping. You would also be wise to have separate places for gray water and black, since septic action requires time for it to liquify. The amount of time things need to stay in the tank for septic action is difficult to determine but longer is better.

I would want to know what the penalty might be if caught as part of the risk assessment. I did some searching online but don't find much information about penalties, but suspect that they exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people seem to have a need to make everything political....

Maa
dumb reply.... what does medical or arrest have to do with politics?
Someone talks about getting a traffic ticket.... Kirk chimes in, "POLITICS!"
Someone talks about the price of bread... Kirk chimes in "POLITICS!"
wow, just wow

Some people seem to have a need to make everything political....

Maanameg,
A lot depends on where the land is and how large it may be. Some states are more aggressive than others on such issues. There are also things that could get one reported such as drainage leaving your land or odors. I would want to be sure that what I put in was large enough to last and not back up or overflow after a few times dumping. You would also be wise to have separate places for gray water and black, since septic action requires time for it to liquify. The amount of time things need to stay in the tank for septic action is difficult to determine but longer is better.

I would want to know what the penalty might be if caught as part of the risk assessment. I did some searching online but don't find much information about penalties, but suspect that they exist.
Everything you say is true, you do have to use your head a bit. Lets say in clay you could probably put in a 500 gallon tank and 100' of "leach" and it still wouldn't perk..but in good perk soil I guarantee for dumping a black tank, maybe 30-40 gals a week, my method will and does work.
Now say for a house, a couple people, where all of theater is going in the tank, black and grey, laundry no, of coarse not. Heck the average house probably dumps 3 times tgrey to black, I KNOW it does with laundry. Laundry should never dump in a septic tank anyhow.
Just my opinion on own my own property, where it's allowed to live in an RV, I.E. most likely unrestricted, I'll be darned if I'm putting in a $10,000 septic system for my black water.

Everything you say is true, you do have to use your head a bit. Lets say in clay you could probably put in a 500 gallon tank and 100' of "leach" and it still wouldn't perk..but in good perk soil I guarantee for dumping a black tank, maybe 30-40 gals a week, my method will and does work.
Now say for a house, a couple people, where all of theater is going in the tank, black and grey, laundry no, of coarse not. Heck the average house probably dumps 3 times tgrey to black, I KNOW it does with laundry. Laundry should never dump in a septic tank anyhow.
Just my opinion on own my own property, where it's allowed to live in an RV, I.E. most likely unrestricted, I'll be darned if I'm putting in a $10,000 septic system for my black water.
You may want to check state and local regulations these days the fines
CAN get crazy.
A friend of mine has a cabin on a lake front property put in septic etc etc wasn't a big deal, a few years later had to get it redone - costs and rules increased 10 fold. But had no choice

Just get a composting toilet and put in a DYI grey water system. I paid $900 for our composting toilet and I am using two blue plastic 55 gal drums ($10 each) for our grey water system. We pump water from the creek for are shower and kitchen sink. paid $300 for a pump with pressure tank.

Attachments

• 8FE5F33B-5AEA-403A-8D8E-9D2147A68DE7.jpeg
    8FE5F33B-5AEA-403A-8D8E-9D2147A68DE7.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 7
of course if you just use a portable toilet then you can dig a hole and dump that. Without hardlines going to a make-shift septic tank you will be far less likely to incur any city issues if this is even a concern for you. I have never seen a city/county employee trespass on property looking for illegal septic tanks as some forum users seem to have seen.

dumping your gray water right out into the yard is no big deal. People regularly dump their house washing machine water into the flower bed. It is no worse than washing your car, if the word "worse" is even correct to say for this.

We seem to have beaten this to death, at least for Maanameg who hasn't been back since Dec. 7. Even so, anyone who does choose to do this should be very aware that all waste water of any kind does come under EPA regulation so there is risk involved, if you choose any of the unapproved solutions. The degree of risk is impossible for us to evaluate since we know nothing of the location, size, soil characteristics, and a host of other factors. But is important to realize that under current regulations, the EPA does set rules for all discharge of waste water of any kind. Each state also has laws as do many counties. The degree of enforcement varies quite widely, which would be a consideration if it were me, along with the probability of getting caught. I have done some of the things suggested, but not recently. Just be careful of what you choose to do and realize the risks involved.

Wastewater

EPA regulates the discharge and treatment of wastewater under the Clean Water Act (CWA). The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) issues permits to all wastewater dischargers and treatment facilities. These permits establish specific discharge limits, monitoring and reporting requirements and may also require these facilities to undertake special measures to protect the environment from harmful pollutants.

Just about anything you can do locally with waste water or toilet waste or even garbage disposal is probably going to violate some well-intended but extremely broad regulation. Or at least potentially so. Even a compost heap or burying or burning wastes. It's more a matter of whether your method stays under the radar or not.

Gary is correct...and where you are. For example un-restricted lots in the Georgia mens I doubt you'd have a problem as long as what you do is within reason. But then again, I don't know, they probably still inspect you even though you're allowed to live in your rv..

Most (if not all) power companies will not come out and simply put power to a pole with a meter. They require that the power be install inside some kind of a building. The do allow temporary power boards to be installed on the property, but that power will eventually be run into a permanent structure.

At any rate, you'll be installing a new electric service, paying for the installation, wiring, and an electrician to run the power from the main entry point to a power/breaker box. It's not cheap.

If you truly plan on living on the property, then you'll be forking out money, no matter what you do.

Even if you decide to power your camper with a generator, you'll have the ongoing expense of fuel to run the generator.

There is no cheap way to live the way you are planning.

Just about anything you can do locally with waste water or toilet waste or even garbage disposal is probably going to violate some well-intended but extremely broad regulation.
The issue is not whether you agree with the law but whether or not you will suffer penalties if you violate it. We do not get to pick and choose which laws we wish to abide by, without risk of consequences. I suggest that being an RV Wizard does not mean that you are a good source of legal advice.

>>I don't need any comments on IF I can do it legally. I need to know how to do it.<<

There are a bazillion YouTube videos on how to dig a well and how to set up a septic system.

The issue is power. I know based on my experience the power company will not install a meter and turn on the juice until the county says, "OK" - For me that requires a full inspection of my septic, power and well installations before they give the power company a green light to install a meter and turn on the juice.

I have filed all the permits for RV occupancy, which normally would restrict me to 50 amp service but because I am planning to replace a collapsed Mobile Home and that mobile home existed when I bought the property, they have approved 200amp service.

Many, many jurisdictions are getting a lot tighter on sneak aboard living. It's a growing thing and they are aware.

They are also getting tighter about farmers who have power run into the middle of a field somewhere to run a well pump to water cattle. Obviously the power company is not making a return on their installation so they are starting to charge farmers for these installs.

Build a better mouse and soon there will be a better trap...

I think there is an acceptance of "boondocking" camping/hunting as they amount of waste is pretty small but full time living is another matter and I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

The issue is not whether you agree with the law but whether or not you will suffer penalties if you violate it. We do not get to pick and choose which laws we wish to abide by, without risk of consequences. I suggest that being an RV Wizard does not mean that you are a good source of legal advice.
Where did the OP ask for legal advice? In fact I thought he said something to the affect “I don't need any comments on IF I can do it legally”. Seems we now have “legality police”, even when told to hold the legality comments. I suspect this is why the op never returned…..shame!

legal or not people have a moral responsibility to point out what is right or wrong to the ignorant
There are many things folks do that are not legal; speed, roll through stop signs, creep through a red light at 2am when it appears nobody is within a mile. I agree dumping black water on the ground is wrong. We have a composting toilet at our cabin and the contents are dumped in the compost pile. Our grey water waste system will be at least 150’ from the creek and much further than that from a future well. I don’t need an election to install the meter box, wire it, install weatherhead and run the wire up. I’m not asking if I can do this. Our closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile and besides they could care less. They’re all farmers so most likely have done a lot of things on their property they want to keep to themselves.

legal or not people have a moral responsibility to point out what is right or wrong to the ignorant
And may I say as respectfully as possible, with a smile on my face it's replies like yours, that people like the OP evidently left the forum!! Especially after the OP said don't bother telling him if its legal or not. Now that I've said this I'll return you to my ignored friends of which actually you are the only one on that list.. Have a nice day my friend

There are many things folks do that are not legal; speed, roll through stop signs, creep through a red light at 2am when it appears nobody is within a mile. I agree dumping black water on the ground is wrong. We have a composting toilet at our cabin and the contents are dumped in the compost pile. Our grey water waste system will be at least 150’ from the creek and much further than that from a future well. I don’t need an election to install the meter box, wire it, install weatherhead and run the wire up. I’m not asking if I can do this. Our closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile and besides they could care less. They’re all farmers so most likely have done a lot of things on their property they want to keep to themselves.
I may of missed something...but where has anyone on this thread said anything about dumping black water on the ground??

Back
Top Bottom