What is that sealer Winne uses on the roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry thank you for the detailed information, very helpful!  I'll tackle this next weekend.  Do you have a screw recommendation? Should I look at something self-tapping for the metal behind the fiberglass?

For those of us with white gelcoat, Eternabond ends the periodic checking/re-sealing of the roof/sidewall seam.  It was not difficult to install and it absolutely stays put.  I just cleaned my roof and did a thorough inspection yesterday, and the 3 yr old Eternabond is undisturbed.   I also used it on the front cap-to-roof seam. 

For folks with FBP, I believe Ebond makes a paintable version but that would certainly take more skill and not sure how that would look.  I used the clear ProFlex adhesive/caulk on my old Adventurer for a number of things and that seemed to be very good stuff.   Would that not be a good choice for roof/sidewall?  

I called Hickson, the maker of Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant.  I learned it is no longer distributed in the US.  And, no online sources.  Evidently, it is sold in Home Depot stores in Canada.  This explains why Winnebago no longer stocks this product.

2dalake said:
I used the clear ProFlex adhesive/caulk on my old Adventurer for a number of things and that seemed to be very good stuff.   Would that not be a good choice for roof/sidewall?  

Gary .. hi! 

What kind of caulk is ProFlex - urethane?

John, I am not sure.   I do know that it flowed well, remained flexible, and the claim was that it could be used in wet or cold conditions.   It comes in white, almond and clear.   CW sells the stuff and I've also seen it at the local Winnebago dealership.

John Canfield said:
Gary .. hi! 

Not sure John.  I do know that it flowed well, remained flexible and seemed to hold fast.  The claim was that it could even be used in wet or cold situations.  CW sells it and I've also seen it at the local Winne dealership.

I have had much better luck with Proflex RV sealant than with the 3M 5200 for re-sealing seams. In the South Florida sun/Heat the 5200 dries out and truns hard. The Proflex stays flexible.

Proflex is made by GeoCel Corporation They have several products designed for the RV industry
Pro Flex? RV Flexible Sealant,  Pro Flex? RV Brushable Sealant & Pro Flex? RV Instant Roof Repair

Proflex rv:

Composition and Materials: Pro Flex RV Sealant is
based on a proprietary formulation of polymers designed to
provide optimum flexibility, adhesion, weather resistance,
and life expectancy. Because of the inherent flexibility of
this material blend, the sealant does not contain
plasticizers (added to many sealants to promote flexibility)
which tend to migrate out of other sealants, causing
hardening and shortening of their useful life. Due to the
mild solvent blend contained in the sealant, Pro Flex RV is
not a flammable liquid according to NFPA liquid guidelines.
Its inherent weather and ultraviolet resistance, combined
with its lasting flexibility, provide a life expectancy
exceeding 50 years.

More information in PDF format 

Proflex RV Technical Data

Hmm - I read the Proflex data sheet but they don't mention any formulary - according to them, it's better than two shirt pockets. 

I used 5200 caulk for years and years on my boats exposed to Florida (and Caribbean) sun with absolutely no failures.  The caulk that is exposed to sun will turn hard and ugly looking, but underneath it is still viable.  Any critical application on the boat almost always got 5200.

I am also in Florida and 3M 5200 is going strong after 2+ years and is applied to the roof with full sun exposure. I tried Proflex Rv prior to 3M 5200 and it failed as well. I do have to paint the 5200 sealant about once a year as the flexing of the joint loosens the paint and exposes the sealant again.  3M 5200 is not UV tolerant which is probably why it hardens. Painting however is a lot quicker than removing old caulk and applying new.

Proflex RV seems to be a decent product if a clear sealant is needed. It seems to adhere well but is hard to remove off and it does not seem to stretch as well as the Stone Mason I have previously used. I still have some Proflex RV which specifies under contents that it contains thermoplastic rubber just like the Stone Mason or the Nuflex 640.

The good properties of the Stone Mason was supposed to be that is was easier to remove as it stuck better to itself than to the surface to which it was applied.

What I always find interesting when the roof seam fails, is that the caulking always detaches from the metal gutter, never the fiberglass roof.

Harry B said:
What I always find interesting when the roof seam fails, is that the caulking always detaches from the metal gutter, never the fiberglass roof.

Maybe if the metal is smooth is why it doesn't stick well.  5200 always stuck well to stainless fittings I bedded down I suppose due to the metal surface being a little rough.

Harry - I'm calling you our caulk-meister!  You (and Rex) are a treasure-trove of knowledge.  Also thanks to kamphiker for the Proflex details.

John .... I never really wanted to know this much about sealants. This is what inadvertently happens when resolution to a problem eludes me. I don't like doing things twice, I prefer to get it right on the first attempt but this roof seem with full body paint is a challenge.

However being a good Dutchman, I don't give up easy.

Steve .... Sorry I forgot to reply as to what type screw I used. I used a SS #8 x 3/4" sheet metal washer screw.

I tried the 5200 on my 03 Adventurer, same seam.  The 5200 was very hard to use on a vertical seam, it kept running out.  Eventually, using small amounts and applying a coat every couple of hours, I got it to seal the seam.  Never came loose after that.

My 07 Journey has a screw in the edge of the cap right from the factory, but I still had to seal it last Feb while on the road.  Used some Liquid Nails Window sealant out of desperation and it is still holding well.  Go figure...  ???

I may try adding an additional screw.  :-\

Best Regards!

I also have used 3M5200 on boats for years with great results. I put it on the roof to gutter rail seam then covered it with Eterabond 4 inch tape. This does 2 things. It keeps the UV rays off & the 4 inch tape on the round edge gives extra protection from tree branches scratching the top roof edge as the branches rub down the roof. Art

Y-Guy

Any update/pics on the roof repair using the 3M 5200?  Also, did you find the #8 3/4 inch screw to be long enough?

I was camping last weekend so the roof repair starts this weekend as long as temps around here don't jump into the upper 90s.  ;D

Tri Cities area can really get hot and dry. I would be falling off the ladder soon with required qnty of drinks  ;D As a matter of fact I manage to Get off a ladder the quick way without any drinks ::). Well in that case might as well go for the drinks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom