What's with all the 30A plugs and how to tell someone what I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lynx0849 said:
The L5-30 is a better connector than the TT-30. Also, no possibility of forcing the wrong plug into it. Since it is s twist lock, less chance for getting pulled put partially and arcing, which damages both the plug & socket. Also, an L5-30 can?t be partially inserted. Full insert plus twist required to get power.

I agree a twist lock can be a better connector, but it goes against many years and millions of RV's standards. Plus, since every guest is not going to cut the TT-30 off their cord, it just moves the problem to the female end of the adapter, adding another failure point.

NY_Dutch said:
I agree a twist lock can be a better connector, but it goes against many years and millions of RV's standards. Plus, since every guest is not going to cut the TT-30 off their cord, it just moves the problem to the female end of the adapter, adding another failure point.

Heck, if you rv often in CA where they use L5-30s, all you need is a common generator cord with L5-30 on both ends.
Easy.

Lynx0849 said:
Heck, if you rv often in CA where they use L5-30s, all you need is a common generator cord with L5-30 on both ends.
Easy.

Since my power cord is permanently attached to my motorhome, as most are, I'll be going with an adapter if the need ever arises. I don't expect many parks will switch to L5-30's unless it's mandated by regulation since they won't be very popular with the RV'ing public...

NY_Dutch said:
There are no north american RV park power pedestals that will accept that plug. The NEMA TT-30P mentioned above is the only plug that the park pedestals will accept for 30 amp power.
NY_Dutch
A Male NEMA TT-30P / 30A Female twist lock ADAPTER is required (https://tinyurl.com/ydbopom9)...
However that doesn't make it any less a 30A plug).

Coming from the liveaboard boat side of things I am totally used to the L5-30. Boats move constantly and it's not about ever reaching the limit of the cord but the cord to socket joint is constantly getting "worried" and can loosen. Just a guess but I am 100% convinced that is the reason for the L5-30. That's also why they are recommended for welders and other equipment that "moves around."

In regards to RV use the TT30 works because the joint is pretty static but... Lot's of people have old crappy connectors.  Someone above talked about loose fitment and arcing - a real concern - Now imagine you run the park and you are spending a few thousand or more a year on replacement female TT30.  For the same money I could start putting in L5-30 and now you have to have a "more secure" plug in to my equipment with less arcing and less maintenance on my side. I really don't care if you have to buy a TT-30 to L5-30 adapter and now I sorta don't care if you have crappy arcing joints...

My RV came with a Nema 5-15 (standard house 3-pin) to TT-30 adapter.  That joint gets hot and it's loose - I actually had to use a bungee cord to make the plugs stay together.  I bought a new adapter and now it is much cooler.

Many Rv-ers (I guess) would not replace an old worn high resistance plug until it simply won't work - LOL.  That's my take on things.

The L5-30 is a better connector than the TT-30. Also, no possibility of forcing the wrong plug into it. Since it is s twist lock, less chance for getting pulled put partially and arcing, which damages both the plug & socket. Also, an L5-30 can?t be partially inserted. Full insert plus twist required to get power.
Sure, and the twist lock NEMA L5-15 is technically superior to the plain old parallel-blade NEMA 5-15's used in just about every residential home and small office in the USA.  Imagine the consternation if you moved into a new house and found all the wall outlets were L5-15 twist locks!  And the builder said he did it because they are better!

mel s said:
NY_Dutch
A Male NEMA TT-30P / 30A Female twist lock ADAPTER is required (https://tinyurl.com/ydbopom9)...
However that doesn't make it any less a 30A plug).

Is this a CA state requirement? Or just an RV park preference. If it's just a park preference, I'll make sure I stay away from those parks that insist on a non-standard connection unless they supply the adapters at no charge.

NY_Dutch said:
Is this a CA state requirement? Or just an RV park preference. If it's just a park preference, I'll make sure I stay away from those parks that insist on a non-standard connection unless they supply the adapters at no charge.

Attachments

• What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
    What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 5
Ex-Calif said:
Many Rv-ers (I guess) would not replace an old worn high resistance plug until it simply won't work - LOL.  That's my take on things.

Mine too on that last bit. When I use my 30 amp cord I clean the blades and use De-Ox-It on them.. Helps to make the connections better.

cavie said:
Fun steak is correct. There are only 2 types of plugs. 30 amps is 120 volts 3 wire. 50 amps is 240 volts 4 wire. The twist lock you are referring to is 2 different ones also and they are on the RV end of the cord. Same things 3 wire and 4 wire. You RV should have on it what is required unless someone has changed it. 30 amps #10 ga wire. 50 amps # 6 ga wire.
cavie
There are far MORE than "only 2 types of plugs".

As  Master electrician don't you think I know that? What I said was there are only two types on an RV pedistal.

mel s said:
cavie
No disrespect intend but what you said is this: "There are only 2 types of plugs. 30 amps is 120 volts 3 wire. 50 amps is 240 volts 4 wire".

BTW there are receptacles on campground pedestals, (not plugs).

I think everyone except maybe you knew exactly what cavie was talking about. Please don?t let this turn into a pissing contest and people grasping at straws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom