Who Eats Hard Boiled Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmokerBill

I'm just curious, because last I read the cholesterol in eggs is the "fluffy" type, and doesn't cause a rise in blood cholesterol levels. I probably eat a dozen eggs a week. They really contain a lot of beneficial nutrients, so I don't mind taking my chances with cholesterol for the nutrition payoff.

Anyway, Grandma and Grampa ate eggs every day  for breakfest, plus eggs in cakes and brownies. Grandpa lived to 86 (complications from hip surgery), Grandma lived to 96. That would be plenty of years for me.  :)

I'll eat eggs poached, hard boiled, scrambled, fried or in omelets (egg-nog has too much sugar, now -- loved them though), aside from all the things they're used in for cooking. There's lots of protein in eggs, and they've been sending mixed messages about cholesterol, so I figure they likely don't really know (I think they said it's not too bad this week).

I eat them all the time and scrambled, fried, poached and egg salad...and eggs benedict and eggs over hash...and any other way I can figure out.

My grandfather had three eggs everyday of his life and a bowl of cereal to boot and lived to be 96! His wife did the same (two eggs) and she lived to 99.

I would rather enjoy life and I eat sensible quantities but anything I want rather than "healthy" and survive another 6 months in a home with tubes and crap hanging out of me....

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Enjoy,

Jim

I love hard boiled eggs. It is one of the few things I can actually cook successfully.  ;D

I am 64 and I have never paid any attention to cholesterol. I have never had my cholesterol tested. I'm doing fine.

Well good, I'm not alone!  And even if they are bad for you (which I don't believe), I'd rather not worry about crap and enjoy life for 70 years than obsess over everything I do and survive to 99.

Life's too short to worry about everything, but can be too long if you do. Know what I mean?

garyb1st said:
Breakfast is my favorite meal and I love eggs.  Hard boiled eggs are OK with plenty of salt.

They are great dipped in chili powder too!

I try to eat at least a couple of eggs a week. The wife says she thinks it keeps my coat shiney....or maybe that was the dog she was talking about.. ;D ;)

Egg fan here too.  ;D Hard boiled are great in a chef's salad.

Another old egg eater here... As far as I can tell, eggs are in the same category as the other food products like coffee, that were bad for us last year but are good for us this year. At the rate the medical community has been declaring formerly "bad" items to be "good" over the past few years, I fully expect burnt bacon and cigarettes will be declared healthy any day now.  ::) ;D

I thought when the "scientists" declared eggs were bad for you that it was settled science. You're not trying to tell me that they are learning more every day and changing their minds are you? Eggs are bad, coffee with cafeine is bad, butter is bad, nitrates and nitrites in cured food is bad, salt is bad, alcohol is bad. That is all settled and written in stone.

Remember when a drink a day made you an alcoholic? And now for men, maybe up to two drinks a day might be beneficial. Remember when mercury was bad? We spent millions getting mercury thermometers and every form of mercury out of our homes. Now, Compact Flourescent Bulbs have mercury in them and we're being forced to take them into our homes.

But back to eggs. Everything in moderation,

Ken

I love eggs.  Soft scrambled with cheese is probably my favorite way.  I recall that when I was in the Navy, the Midway chow hall was open 24 hours a day.  It wasn't unusual to go in at midnight before  a flight and eat a half dozen soft scrambled.  Pretty much everybody in the Navy ate a lot of eggs.  One funny thing about eggs.... GAS!  When qualifying for flight duty, we had to go through a low pressure chamber experience.  What was really fun was to watch the expression on the face of any WAVEs going through the experience as they tried (without much success, I might add) to hold the rapidly expanding internal gasses.  I have another story about my Navy experience with eggs, but another time.....

Oh yeah, I like 'em boiled, even more if them cackle berries is deviled.

Favorite breakfast is 2 over hard, sausage, taters, bisquits, and gravy with a few dashes of hot sauce, and an over dose of coffee with sugar.
That will hold me till my lunch pig out session...maybe.
And, I'm the guy who weighs in at 130# at 6' tall.

We both love hard boiled eggs.  I usually ditch the yolk because of my high cholesterol.  It's rare, but occasionally I make deviled eggs which I love!  Jerry eats one sometimes in the morning before his walk and we often eat them for lunch.  I've learned not to load them with salt.  Try black pepper instead.

With regard to the scientists and foods being "good" or "not good" from one year to the other, a lot of the change of opinion has to to with the fact that scientific analysis keeps improving and there are more studies that change previous thinking.  Of course, you have to watch out for the so-called study of five people who proved something is good or bad - that's not a study and not statistically significant.  Beware of wolves in sheeps clothing....

ArdraF

I read somewhere that 9 out of 10 people that passed away last year ate carrots sometime in their life....

Don't eat carrots...your Mother was wrong!

I love hard boiled eggs, by themselves with a little salt, in a salad & especially in a chicken & sausage gumbo. :)

I eat them 'whole' but Chris slices them (into wedges) before serving them to guests with a Dijon mustard dip.

I've had the crazy idea for a long time to use a marinade syringe to extract the yolks from some raw eggs, season the yolk, then pump it back into the eggs. The eggs would probably have to be positioned with the holes facing up when cooking.

It would be a real surprise to open a hard boiled egg and find seasoned yolks. I could claim they came from genetically engineered "gourmet" laying hens.  Maybe someday I'll give it a try. The eggs that is- not creating genetically engineered chickens.

Tom said:
Chris' Scotch eggs are always a hit with visitors and attendees at parties and pot lucks.

Those have been a family favorite since the early '60s when I discovered them in one of my grandmothers cook books.  She is also the one that introduced me to "English" teas when I was about 2 years old.  She was highly upset when I stopped by on my way to Japan, while in the Army, and asked for my tea straight, i.e., black.  Not sure She ever recovered!

Back
Top Bottom