Why do they sell RVs without a spare Tire!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just could not travel knowing I was not carrying a spare tire!

The issue is the wheel and tire are near 90 pounds so mounting is an issue.

Lifting the thing to load it is another issue in itself.

Here is my solution.

All the steps to build this are on YouTube

When we purchased our 5th wheel way back in 1998 as I was leaving the dealership I noticed there was no spare tire. I parked, went inside and informed the salesman they forgot the spare. I was told RV’s didn’t come with spares. I asked him where he wanted me to drop the unit. I left with a spare tire.

Because most people don’t have the required tools to jack up a big camper, to remove or replace a large tire, or the knowledge/strength to do any of it!
Where are you going to store the spare and how would someone get it to the hub?
That being said, I am half-assed looking for a wheel for my Class A. I will need to get a big bottle jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench, Burt since I haul my tools and motorcycles with me in a box trailer, I am well suited to changing a tire on the road.

Trailers, class C motor homes....sure. Class As? How am I going to torque lug nuts to 600 foot pounds? On the side of the road? Not likely.

We always carried a spare tire on our travel trailers. Kevin replaced a couple on the road too! Trailer tires don’t cost a lot, and they are easy to store and use. But there is no way we could change a tire on our Class A! The tire itself weighs about 100 pounds or more not including the wheel. Even deflated it would take an entire storage bay plus it costs $600-$1000. Tires not in use only last about 5 years too. And the big tires are more robust all around making road hazards less of a problem. However we still minimize our risks by keeping the tires properly inflated (under inflation is a leading cause of blow outs) and having a TPMS. We just make sure our CoachNet subscription is up to date.

Because most people don’t have the required tools to jack up a big camper, to remove or replace a large tire, or the knowledge/strength to do any of it!
Where are you going to store the spare and how would someone get it to the hub?
That being said, I am half-assed looking for a wheel for my Class A. I will need to get a big bottle jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench, Burt since I haul my tools and motorcycles with me in a box trailer, I am well suited to changing a tire on the road.
Watch the video this will work on your rig too. You never have to lift the wheel and tire. With the right jak and wrenches you can easy change it.

We always carried a spare tire on our travel trailers. Kevin replaced a couple on the road too! Trailer tires don’t cost a lot, and they are easy to store and use. But there is no way we could change a tire on our Class A! The tire itself weighs about 100 pounds or more not including the wheel. Even deflated it would take an entire storage bay plus it costs $600-$1000. Tires not in use only last about 5 years too. And the big tires are more robust all around making road hazards less of a problem. However we still minimize our risks by keeping the tires properly inflated (under inflation is a leading cause of blow outs) and having a TPMS. We just make sure our CoachNet subscription is up to date.
How do you call road service if there is no cell service? If you watch the video you never have to lift the tire. Storage is on the rack I built so space is not an issue. Yes your tires are more robust, I would not run a tire more than 5 years. TPMS are great I have one I added to mine.

Trailers, class C motor homes....sure. Class As? How am I going to torque lug nuts to 600 foot pounds? On the side of the road? Not likely.
Use what I used years ago. We called it a 4:1 or torque multiplier . You attach a torque wrench to the input side and let’s say the torque wrench says torque applied is 100 lbs, out on the output side it would be 400 lbs.

Torque is not a problem with the right tools I carry a 4 foot bar so getting torque is easy. With the rack I built I never have to lift the weight of the wheel.

Can't imagine carrying a spare with our Bounder not to mention mounting it on the road! Not gonna' happen. :rolleyes:
Watch the video this will work on your rig too. You never have to lift the wheel and tire. With the right jak and wrenches you can easy change it.

I carry a spare tire, but no rim, for this Class A. I have it in the outside storage area.

No room on the rear, I carry my electric motorcycle there.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

A lot of cars are coming without spares now.
Most, if not all these days.

But you can buy the stuff yourself.

Here is what Tesla says.

But of course, the real reason is to keep the price down and profits up.

My Chevy Bolt also did not come with a spare tire.

I have the spare and all the stuff to change the tire myself--carried in each car. Either can be purchased on Amazon. I assume the same for any car.

Example:

Tesla tire change kit.

But what I do not like about buying your own stuff, is that it requires to use extra storage space. When vehicles came with spares, they usually had a way to put the complete wheel and tools somewhere that didn't take up your storage space.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ

I carry a spare on a hitch mount spare tire carrier when I travel without a TOAD car, this is working on the theory that if I have a flat with the TOAD along I can put the wheel in the TOAD and drive to where I can buy a new tire. I need to buy new one before my next TOADless trip as the old one is now coming up on 8 years old

They do sell RVs with spare tires . . . or used to . . . my 2001 National RV SeaView:

seaview-spare-tire.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom