Why do they sell RVs without a spare Tire!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Typically a dealer or factory option, though. Few trailer models include a spare in the base price.
Both of our TT's came with full size spare tires. The basic tools to install those spares weren't included. That's better than not having a spare tire.

Last edited:
Most, if not all these days.

But you can buy the stuff yourself.

Here is what Tesla says.

But of course, the real reason is to keep the price down and profits up.

My Chevy Bolt also did not come with a spare tire.

I have the spare and all the stuff to change the tire myself--carried in each car. Either can be purchased on Amazon. I assume the same for any car.

Example:

Tesla tire change kit.

But what I do not like about buying your own stuff, is that it requires to use extra storage space. When vehicles came with spares, they usually had a way to put the complete wheel and tools somewhere that didn't take up your storage space.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ
I would not buy a car without a spare tire and wheel, it is just dumb to drive without it!

I would not buy a car without a spare tire and wheel, it is just dumb to drive without it!
You can look at that two ways. The cost is less if you don't want it, but if you do, you may buy your own.

My only complaint on this new way is there is usually no decent place to store it.

For an example, in my Y2K RV, it came with a spare tire. I can carry my electric motorcycle on the hitch, and I still have a spare in the same area that doesn't take up any useful space at all.

Same goes for my older cars and trucks.

But I have to use up prime storage space on my 2016 Tesla M3, my 2022 Chevy Bolt and this 2022 Class A that I am now in.

And in this 2022 Class A motorhome, no rim on the tire. It's the tire only in the largest storage space. I paid for this myself. At least in this case, I can put some small stuff inside the center of the tire.

But some other RVs, such as the Thor Axis I first looked at, has NO place to put a spare tire at all. If you want a spare with it, it has to be stored inside the RV and still too large for any storage area. It was one of the many things that turned me off from the first Class A I looked at.

-Don- Flagstaff KOA, AZ

I too attempted to watch the video, but its is horrible in production and every other aspect. I know what is happening but its way too jumbled and sped up way too fast. Repeating the "like and subscribe" mantra over and over, was over the top.

I've had the wheels off my Winnebago View in my shop, and would not hesitate to do a front wheel on the road provided it was on a hard level surface. Mercedes provided a nice two stage hydraulic jack plus a tool kit in the Sprinter. It under the floor, under the passenger's feet. I carried extra tools such as a 23 inch breaker bar, extensions, socket and a piece of wood drilled with a bunch of holes to stabilize the breaker bar and extensions when loosening or tightening the lugs. These were LT225R75/15 tires so not too hard to handle

Charles

I just could not travel knowing I was not carrying a spare tire!

The issue is the wheel and tire are near 90 pounds so mounting is an issue.

Lifting the thing to load it is another issue in itself.

Here is my solution.

All the steps to build this are on YouTube
I suppose for the same reason new Cadillac's haven't came with a spare tire for the last 5-6 years. They must be replaced whether used or never on the ground at least every 6 years to be reliable.

I suppose for the same reason new Cadillac's haven't came with a spare tire for the last 5-6 years. They must be replaced whether used or never on the ground at least every 6 years to be reliable.
My granddaughter is in sales and puts on a lot of miles. She purchased a new BMW 2 years ago. It did not have a spare. The tires on it were special tires and would not go totally flat. They are called run-flat tires.
Well those tires wore out and had to be replaced but we’re real expensive so she opted to go with regular tires. She forgot about not having a spare.
Sure enough one really dark night on a not busy highway at 10:00 PM, she got a flat tire. Luckily she had AAA. The wrecker was coming from about an hour away. She was scared to death waiting for it and all kind of things went through her mind while she waited. No police around either. She had about 50 miles to get towed home. She now has a small spare.

Last edited:
She had about 50 miles to get towed home. She now has a small spare.
She probably wouldn't have made it the 50 miles home anyway even if she had replaced the original BMW run flat tires with exactly the same new tires.

From the BMW website...

"How far can I drive my run flat tires with a puncture?

If you have a puncture in your run flat tires, you can drive them a distance of 50 miles and up to 50 mph. It is imperative not to go faster or the tires can fail."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom