Why full time soloing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfmucci

Just curious: For those either considering full time soloing, or in the midst of it, especially for 6 months, a year or longer, I'd like to hear your reasons and thought processes involved in your decision, and the type of rig you have chosen for your adventure.

While I am not solo, I have known quite a few of them over the years who are or have been fulltimers and I am puzzled by the question. Most seem to have the same questions as a couple, for the most part. I'll be very interested to see what sort of answers you get.

I'll start off with the reason a recent acquaintance gave me for his start in soloing.

He has been retired for a few years. His wife recently passed away after an extended and severe illness. She made him promise that after she passed he would embark on his wish to RV. So he has honored her request and recently purchased a 31' class C with her life insurance money to embark on full-timing beginning in February. His biggest challenge is getting rid of all the "stuff" they collected over the decades.

Personally I don't see any difference between solo or a couple. Full timing is a life style enjoyed by a wide variety of people. As a single you surely will encounter some obstacles such as backing into a site. But being single you can do as you please, within reason that is. The downside of full timing regardless of your status if you are not outgoing you could lonely really fast.

I agree there's little difference between a couple and a solo fulltiming. The biggest difference being there's one less person to agree the fulltime lifestyle is what's wanted...

I spent about half of my adult life traveling alone.

In my case it was because I was either doing projects all across the country or starting up a couple of companies.

I worked best in the evening or night on projects without distractions..

I also appreciated the access to all the supporting communications, hardware, (like plotters and printers), and regulatory resource material.

I mostly traveled in a Class A, either gas or diesel.

For me it was about having my office with me.

. His biggest challenge is getting rid of all the "stuff" they collected over the decades.
That is the main reason I do not fulltime. Perhaps the only reason. What will I do with nine out of ten motorcycles and my countless other junk?

But why fulltime? Go for a couple of months at a time, as I usually do around this time of year.

-Don- Reno, NV

We are full timing and will be for about a year +. When thinking about selling our house we decided to decouple the sale from buying the next one to reduce stress. Given we sold in a sellers market, putting off buying till the market cools seems sensible.

In the meantime we are having an adventure.

Personally I don't see any difference between solo or a couple. Full timing is a life style enjoyed by a wide variety of people. As a single you surely will encounter some obstacles such as backing into a site. But being single you can do as you please, within reason that is. The downside of full timing regardless of your status if you are not outgoing you could lonely really fast.
I can only imagine a HUGE difference. With a couple (friend, spouse, other relative) you have a consistent, ever-present companion to share your adventure with and is familiar enough to help/navigate/set up/break down and provide companionship. (no, a dog cannot do ALL those things.)

A soloer has none of that except, if lucky, the occasional "instant temporary buddy" at a camp site - even if the soloer is outgoing.

These differences begin to get at the heart of my question: What are the unique motivations for an RVer going solo?

I believe some people enjoy being alone. Maybe keeping a pet for company and that's it. It's like asking why some people live alone.

A lot of people live alone (at home) out of necessity (eg. spouse no longer there). No 'decision' or additional action is required. Deciding to solo RV is a conscious decision requiring action.

Just speculating, but some of those "conscious decisions" might be motivated by...

... a sense of adventure (some may experience more heightened 'adventure' alone) like proving something to themselves
... a delayed, unfulfilled aspiration
... an escape from routine
... tired of living alone doing "nothing"
... a total mind shift after a personal tragedy
... work-related travel (as one expressed)

Others?

Last edited:
I'll start off with the reason a recent acquaintance gave me for his start in soloing.

He has been retired for a few years. His wife recently passed away after an extended and severe illness. She made him promise that after she passed he would embark on his wish to RV. So he has honored her request and recently purchased a 31' class C with her life insurance money to embark on full-timing beginning in February. His biggest challenge is getting rid of all the "stuff" they collected over the decades.
exactly my purpose

There are pluses and minuses to soloing and couple RVing. As folks have mentioned when you travel with a partner you will always have a human companion to share life with. On the other hand if you and your companion have a disagreement there isn’t much room in an RV to get away and cool off. The other potential problem is you and your partner disagree on where you want to go. Soloist don’t have that dilemma. Before anybody replies that they have never had a problem with their partners, that they have always agreed on everything, great for you! But I am talking about potential problems, not the utopia that some folks enjoy.:cool:

Maybe keeping a pet for company and that's it.
I prefer the freedom of NOT having a pet now that I am alone. We had two doggies before I became widowed in 2016.

Ham radio as well as this on-line computer communication now works enough for me. Things I do not have to feed and be back at a certain time, etc.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have zero experience with this topic. My interest is that of an interested reader. It occurs to me that most do not choose soloing. You either have a companion, or you are solo. The people you ask about were already soloing due to circumstances. This is true whether they solo at a fixed two-story home or in an RV. My question would be, if you are soloing, why wouldn't you RV full time? In some ways, it might be more suited to soloing than to a couple or a family. You have to be somewhere solo. Why not decide as the mood hits you? It would seem to be a good way to meet many new people and stay interested in life. Who knows, maybe even meet a new companion if you are interested in that.

Tara and I enjoy your "utopia", or close anyway, but Tara has the lonesome potential problem licked! The answer is a couple of papillons walked about six times a day! She knows everybody in the park!

Ernie

Tara and I enjoy your "utopia", or close anyway, but Tara has the lonesome potential problem licked! The answer is a couple of papillons walked about six times a day! She knows everybody in the park!

Ernie
Do papillons require a lot of walking? We got a dog at the SPCA a few weeks back and we think it’s a Beagle papillon mix. He loves to go on walks.

There are pluses and minuses to soloing and couple RVing.
I have done both and that is the best way to say it.

Since I have been widowed (cancer-2016) I stay at some places longer than I used to. Tom (my mate for 42 years--same sex couple) would not be able to hack three weeks at a single place such as Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument, one of my favorite places to now stay boondocked for several weeks at a time (the max allowed--21 nights). Usually this time of year.

Likewise, we stayed at some places longer when we were together, such as our three weeks in Toronto, a place I would NOT want to spend three weeks in as solo, but was fine when we were together.

Now that I RV solo, I have no desire to leave the USA--not even to Canada.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have had the travel bug since I was about 10, so travel has always been in my plans. However, life got into the middle of those plans--got married, had kids, got divorced, had to support self and kids with two jobs, kids graduated college and got jobs in other states, took care of elderly mother, mother passed away--finally at age 69, I was free to do what I wanted to do all my life. I also had been able to put some money in the bank, could start collecting SS, and I could continue my online college teaching part-time job while on the road to help pay my expenses. (Just quit that half-time job last June, by the way, at age 77. College said I could come back sometime, but I don't think so!)

For most of us who travel solo, it was not a choice of solo or as a couple. I had been divorced for 25+ years, but had done a lot of traveling for my job so traveling alone to strange places was not a big step for me. I had even gone to the UK by myself several times.

So, my choice was basically to buy a motorhome and travel the country "free at last" or stay in my condo, and sit in my recliner until I died. One way or another, it was going to be solo. The first choice was the best one for me, although I think my kids would have been happier if I had stayed put.

I pretty much knew this would be a long-term decision for me, so I bought big, or at least big for one person. First, a motorhome is much easier to park and manage than a trailer, so that was easy. It also gave me the ability to pull into a parking lot or rest area and use my facilities and fix a snack or meal without going outside. I started looking at smaller motorhomes, but knew that I had to have a bed I could walk around to make because I had fragile kneecaps and had been warned by the guy who replaced my knees that I should never kneel on a soft surface. I also test drove a Class A, but because I am so short, I had to have the steering wheel jammed into my stomach to reach the pedals. Even with extenders, I would not have been able to reach visors or some other things in an A cab. A Class C fits my body better than an A. (I also chose not to tow and am still happy with that decision.)

So, a big C was my choice, and I have been happy with it with one exception--I would have liked more CCC. Also, going 32' meant that my motorhome feels like a small apartment. I can walk back to my separate bedroom, etc. I have lots of space for clothing and such--actually twice as much as if I were traveling with a spouse or partner. I also have twice as much water to use than a couple would and need a lot less food storage!! I only need to dump tanks every 3-4 days, which is a real plus!

Biggest advantage is that I can do what I like and eat weird meals if I want to. No fighting about the TV changer or where the next stop will be or what we ought to have for dinner. (No one to help with maintenance or lifting heavy stuff, either, but things do balance out.)

I am reminded of the ladies in a campground laundromat a few years ago who were all amazed that I could do this all by myself. That is, except for one woman who said, "You are SO lucky." Turns out her husband had bought the 5th wheeler, planned the trip, and decided what they would do. She said that the last 90 days had been the worse in 45 years of marriage! An often-discussed problem with traveling as a couple is that often both do not always want the same things and one will want to quit before the other.

So going solo is really not so bad. There are times I'd like company, but other times I am very glad I don't have any. And regardless, I still have the choice of traveling alone or staying home alone. MUCH prefer traveling alone!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom