Why so many V10s instead of the 6.7 diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff----"The real message of this discussion is that we all have different reasons for choosing what fits us, not to make less of someone else's decision. What I love about RVing is we don't care what you did (or do), just where you've been in your RV."

Can we hear an AMEN ... Thanks

George

I have a V-10 in my rig and so far so good.  I had to replace an emissions sensor that was bad but that was no biggie.  Has very good giddy up and go power and I should not have any problem towing a car with it when I do.  To me, value is a relative thing as far as what my needs and wants are are and what i am willing to pay for them.  The rig I bought was a good value to me.

With regards to RV envy, I have a Class C because it fits my needs well right now.  I am still working and my trips are more the long weekend types and it is perfect for that.  When my wife and I retire, and if we want to do longer trips, we may very well go the Diesel Pusher Route.  And you can bet we will get a bad mamma jamma with with all the bells and whistles and with full body paint!  ;)

Diesels are a pain.

They are more expensive to purchase, and more expensive to maintain.  The oil industry and the EPA have sucked all of the fuel savings out of running a diesel.  Diesel has two advantages left...longevity and torque.  Not too many RVers keep a rig past 100,000 miles, so longevity isn't a big plus.  Torque is always going to be an advantage, but obviously folks are learning to live without it.

Besides longevity and torque, there's another advantage to diesel that to me is the biggest.  Pushers have a custom air-ride chassis that usually provides superior ride and handling over the stock leaf-spring gas chassis.  I'm completely satisfied with the torque and power of my V10 and don't feel longevity will be an issue either, but the harsh ride on rough roads is enough to keep my diesel-envy alive and well.  Not enough to justify doubling the cost of my rig, but if money were no object, I'd be thinking more about it.

Gordon

While a diesel chassis is built for more mikes tan most of us will ever put on them don't expect that to be reflected in resale value.

We were at 128.000 miles when we moved up from a 2001 Tradewinds to a 2006 last year. Talked to four dealers about trading, two said their banks would not floor plan 100,000 miles plus RVs, the others were basically trying to trade for no value on our coach.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments about ride.

DW and I have a task specific spec'd 2007 Freightliner Columbia (Super C) with a CAT C-11 with an Ultra Shift 10sp . As I am writing this, I have 783,684 miles on the unit with no major repairs. Lifetime fuel economy is 10.3. For our next unit, we are looking at the Ford V10 powered class A's. Different purpose for the class A. Simply, the intended use justified a diesel Super C. And likewise the intended use for our next one merits stronger consideration for the Triton V10.

I have been impressed with what I have seen on the road all these years throughout all mountain passes with both diesel and gasser units keeping up...that includes Grapevine and Donner's.

I bought my first RV, a Ford F250 (v8 gas) with a Sandpiper cab over camper at the age of 17 and am still loving the lifestyle today at the age of 57.

Gas or Diesel? Either one will do fine.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Ya gotta understand that any vehicle configuration that sells less than 10,000 units/year is unprofitable for any major vehicle manufacturer. They build some of them for their PR value, though.
I posted this in the "Van" section without any responses.  Maybe this group knows???

Has anyone heard if any Class B manufacturers are planning to build a unit on the new 2015 (Due out in Summer 2014) Ford Transit?  The Transit, not to be confused with the smaller Transit Connect, is the Ford E Series replacement.  They show a 3.2 I-5, 5-cyl Power Stroke Turbo Diesel power-plant option.  I would think this may be a less expensive alternative to the Mercedes Sprinter 6-cyl Diesel being used today.  I was intrigued how much better mileage the older Mercedes 5-cyl Sprinter models were getting vs the newer 6-cyl they started to use after, I think, 2008.  I'd like a Sprinter but can't justify the expense, approaching a Class C.  Maybe the Ford will achieve the same goal, cheaper???

Anyone out there heard anything from shows, dealers or just plain scuttle-butt?

Well crud.

Apologies to the board.  I just realized I posted my opinion to the same thread twice.  No rant intended.

jstrubberg said:
Well crud.

Apologies to the board.  I just realized I posted my opinion to the same thread twice.  No rant intended.

Go ahead....post it again.  We don't judge.  :p

The mix may be a changing. Take a look at the new Cummins V8 turbo diesel.
http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel
This should work great in smaller Cs and smaller As. They are being developed for Nissan. 
Bill

I guess if I could make do with the HP and torque of a V10 it wouldn't make a lot of sense to put up with the expense of a diesel.

RetiredJohn said:
I posted this in the "Van" section without any responses.  Maybe this group knows???

Has anyone heard if any Class B manufacturers are planning to build a unit on the new 2015 (Due out in Summer 2014) Ford Transit?  The Transit, not to be confused with the smaller Transit Connect, is the Ford E Series replacement.  They show a 3.2 I-5, 5-cyl Power Stroke Turbo Diesel power-plant option.  I would think this may be a less expensive alternative to the Mercedes Sprinter 6-cyl Diesel being used today.  I was intrigued how much better mileage the older Mercedes 5-cyl Sprinter models were getting vs the newer 6-cyl they started to use after, I think, 2008.  I'd like a Sprinter but can't justify the expense, approaching a Class C.  Maybe the Ford will achieve the same goal, cheaper???

Anyone out there heard anything from shows, dealers or just plain scuttle-butt?

I haven't heard of any plans for customizers to build anything on it there are so many body styles(4 lengths and 3 roof heights) that there will be possibilities. There is also a planned cut-away cab and chasis cab (same except it has a back).
They also say that the e-series will keep running if sales stay above 80,000 a year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big foot
Back
Top Bottom