Wrong coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleandKarla

I just discovered that when I last had my cummins diesel pusher class A serviced, they put antifreeze intended for the plumbing system into the engine/radiator system. I've driven a couple thousand miles with it in there. I intend to get it flushed and replaced ASAP. My question is - how big of a deal is this? Has damage been done? Is flushing and replacing the coolant a simple task?
Thank you so much,
Dale

I just discovered that when I last had my cummins diesel pusher class A serviced, they put antifreeze intended for the plumbing system into the engine/radiator system. I've driven a couple thousand miles with it in there. I intend to get it flushed and replaced ASAP. My question is - how big of a deal is this? Has damage been done? Is flushing and replacing the coolant a simple task?
Thank you so much,
Dale
It's just really very diluted antifreeze, ie., it's mostly water. If you haven't had an overheating issue you're probably okay. Different coolants have different boiling points. Should be a Cummins guy along anytime that can walk you through flushing your particular system.

It's just really very diluted antifreeze, ie., it's mostly water. If you haven't had an overheating issue you're probably okay. Different coolants have different boiling points. Should be a Cummins guy along anytime that can walk you through flushing your particular system.

They are different chemicals. but I doubt there was any damage.
Also automotive antifreezes (There are a few different "Flavors" have anti corrosion stuff which the RV type does not.
That said whomever made the mistake needs to do the flush and refill no charge and sign a acceptance of damage liability if it turns out there is damage But I doubt there was.

They are different chemicals. but I doubt there was any damage.
Also automotive antifreezes (There are a few different "Flavors" have anti corrosion stuff which the RV type does not.
That said whomever made the mistake needs to do the flush and refill no charge and sign a acceptance of damage liability if it turns out there is damage But I doubt there was.
While I agree with that, it will be almost impossible to prove that they are the ones who made the mistake. Unless the change was done in the last few days, they will just claim that the owner could have done the damage, and that's all it takes in court.

While probably no damage if it hasn't overheated or otherwise shown an obvious problem, that's an incredibly stupid mistake for any diesel shop to make, even an Rv dealer shop. If you have proof, I would do what John suggests and make then own up to both the flush & replace cost and responsibility for the error.

Potable water (plumbing) antifreeze is propylene glycol (alcohol), while diesel coolants (there are a couple types) are ethylene glycol plus some potent chemicals additives to inhibit something called cavitation. You've been operating without these additives for some )hopefully not too long) time period.

Thank you so much, everyone. That is a relief. I agree that the shop that made the mistake should redo it. Unfortunately, we're a thousand miles from there and not likely to be back in that area anytime soon. My main concern was that no damage was done. It's a good lesson for me to be more aware and ask more questions when it's being serviced.

When replacing to the "new" coolant,, go to an OAC type and forget about having to do it again as long as you own it,, you also can forget about SCA additives,, so remember to use a NON SCA filter..>>>Dan ( plus 1 for doing these things yourself.)

While I agree with that, it will be almost impossible to prove that they are the ones who made the mistake. Unless the change was done in the last few days, they will just claim that the owner could have done the damage, and that's all it takes in court.

Well as I said I doubt there is any damager but a written admission that "We Screwed Up" is an encouragement to be more careful next time.

Is it really plumbing antifreeze? Some antifreezes for radiators are now pink
Good question. When I left the shop, they handed me the a jug that was almost full and said "here is the leftover antifreeze. We didn't use all of this jug so that you can have it." At the time I didn't know the difference and didn't look closely at it. Now that I know a little more and looked at it, I see that it's the plumbing kind.

When replacing to the "new" coolant,, go to an OAC type and forget about having to do it again as long as you own it,, you also can forget about SCA additives,, so remember to use a NON SCA filter..
I mostly agree but be aware that Freightliner Custom Chassis recommends against OAT-type antifreeze on their older not-so-recent chassis because the coolant sensors they used in the early 2000's have proven to be not very compatible with the OAT-type. I'm not sure when (or if) FCCC corrected that in production, but if the OP has a Freightliner chassis coach, he may want to check with FCCC Customer Service. I know OAT was NOT recommended for my 2004.

I'd be anxious to get that stuff out of the cooling system ASAP, just to be sure. That won't be cheap, because the entire system really should be fully flushed, which probably means at least two passes (empty, refill, run engine to hot, then empty & refill again) or use a shop that has a power flushing system that can do it all at once (a continuous process rather than two-stage). Also replace the coolant filter, if it has one.

If the sensors were that critical,, would Propylene glycol be picked up as well?. I agree get it out of there and get the correct stuff..I use Peak Final charge OAT,, its advertised to be compatible with all types..But will warrantee it only if 90% Peak or better..My concern would be the lack of pump lubricant and other required additives in heavy duty diesel coolant..>>>Dan

Last edited:
Some antifreezes for radiators are now pink
It's common in European vehicles. My Energica motorcycles (Italian) use pink coolant to cool the motor inverter. The pink stuff is a lot easier to see in the recovery bottle. I do not know how it compares to the green or red stuff other than the color.

-Don- Reno, NV

Here is the coolant my Energica motorcycles use:

94798b8d-c782-435f-8e27-cf64ebf6e849.7da3b143df434cd5fc9bc5166634765e.jpeg

I just discovered that when I last had my cummins diesel pusher class A serviced, they put antifreeze intended for the plumbing system into the engine/radiator system.
I hope your conclusion is not based on the pink color. What makes you believe it was the plumbing stuff?

-Don- Reno, NV

I would drain the system including opening the block drains, if it has them. Fill the system with water and run to operating temperature then drain again. Do this several times to get all the old coolant out. Check with Cummins, and find out what antifreeze is supposed to be used. Also like it was committed above don't forget to replace the coolant filter. They do make coolant flush additive that helps clean the system you could add after the first flush to help clean out the system.

Back
Top Bottom