Playing gangsta Rap music on outdoor TT stereo? Would it bother others?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big Sky, I feel for you.  I have a generator and run it as little as possible out of respect for others and cause I don't like a lot of noise either.  Many trips my gennie never gets used.

Generators are a more or less constant drone, your brain filters it out, plus its not saying anything.  RAP, is poetery, it is not music, and Gangasta Rap is offensive poetery,  Good chance of your radio getting religion (Becoming holy, holes oh, about 0.38 or 0.45 inches in diamater... or several holes appearing all at one time.

carson said:
I hate to get into this debate.........

The World has changed over the years and etiquette does not seem to matter anymore.

I'm an oldie too and don't wish the be forced to move because someone doesn't know what noise pollution means. Shame on the new generation. -30-

X2.  One of those situations would tempt me to use a weapon of mass destruction - the other, not so much.  You guess which is which.  I try to use campgrounds with e-hookups or minimize use of the gen as much possible.

carson said:
  I'm an oldie too and don't wish the be forced to move because someone doesn't know what noise pollution means. Shame on the new generation.
Yep, it is never the older generation that runs generators. ::)

Ask a Rap Star what he does and the response is "I do RAP"

Ask a vocal musician what they do and the answer is SING.

Poetery and RAP are "Done"

Music is SUNG.

Thus

I sing.

While the Bird is technically correct - there are no "rules" per se, but even Jay-Z calls rap, "poetry".
Poetry can be mixed with a beat, allowing some to call it music. Others may disagree.

And actually not all rap music is spoken. There is much singing in rap. Take Gangsta Paradise by Coolio, one of the best rap songs of all time (yes, I am white, I am old and I do love rap, I love all forms of music). In that song the verses are rapped but the chorus is sung.

Agreed! Great piece.  I don't inclusively object to rap as an art form. Remember when rock was considered devil music? My objection is not based on being an old fart white person.  It's just that much of it grates on my nerves - just like Bob Dylan's voice and harmonica.

BinaryBob said:
Agreed! Great piece.  I don't inclusively object to rap as an art form. Remember when rock was considered devil music? My objection is not based on being an old fart white person.  It's just that much of it grates on my nerves - just like Bob Dylan's voice and harmonica.

Dylan is an amazing songwriter.....but whoever told that boy he could sing lied to him.  Same goes for Neil Young.

I was in 3rd grade.  It was 1972.  I had a portable cassette recorder I brought to school, and was listening to Jimi Hendrix & Grand Funk Railroad at recess.  I got sent to the office for listening to "hippie music".  I kid you not. 

And Weird Al did a parody of Gangsta Paradise called Amish Paradise. It is one of the best parodies of all time. He substituted Amish for gangsters and it is hysterical. Sample lyrics:

As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain
I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain
But that's just perfect for an Amish like me
You know, I shun fancy things like electricity
At 4:30 in the morning I'm milkin' cows
Jebediah feeds the chickens and Jacob plows... fool

Frizlefrak said:
Dylan is an amazing songwriter.....but whoever told that boy he could sing lied to him.  Same goes for Neil Young.

I was in 3rd grade.  It was 1972.  I had a portable cassette recorder I brought to school, and was listening to Jimi Hendrix & Grand Funk Railroad at recess.  I got sent to the office for listening to "hippie music".  I kid you not.

Wait just a dang minute here, don't you go insulting Neil Young ! Especially since you were just a baby in 1972.

Frizlefrak said:

LOL... You hippie rascal!
In 1971 I was in the 8th grade. Brought my new album "Black Sabbath Paranoid" to school. The social studies teacher noticed it and kept me after class to give me a 30 minute (seemed like 2 hours) lecture about how that music was going to rot my brain and get me into drugs. It wasn't even a parochial school...
Well.... Mr. Fields was wrong. I tried pot once in college and couldn't stand the smell.  ::) ::)
Still think that was a dang great album.. :)

You are right, he did not approve of it at first, but he has since then changed his mind and now approves. The parody gave him a lot of free publicity which translated into dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz2zsxMMoY0

While I was looking this up I started reading and found out Coolio had no beef at all. He stole the song directly from a 70s Stevie Wonder song Pastime Paradise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0S4SiLxt1s

Wendy said:
Wait just a dang minute here, don't you go insulting Neil Young ! Especially since you were just a baby in 1972.

I was 9 years old I will have you know.....  :p

Neil Young is one of the best songwriters ever, and I'm a huge CSN&Y fan.  I loved all his solo work from Harvest up to about the Freedom period.  But he has a voice that sounds like someone recovering from laryngitis. 

BinaryBob said:
LOL... You hippie rascal!
In 1971 I was in the 8th grade. Brought my new album "Black Sabbath Paranoid" to school. The social studies teacher noticed it and kept me after class to give me a 30 minute (seemed like 2 hours) lecture about how that music was going to rot my brain and get me into drugs. It wasn't even a parochial school...
Well.... Mr. Fields was wrong. I tried pot once in college and couldn't stand the smell.  ::) ::)
Still think that was a dang great album.. :)

Yep....peace, love and harmony....with an emphasis on the harmony.  Much to Mrs. Stevens dismay, I came back to school later with Alice Cooper's Schools Out blaring out of my little Panasonic cassette player.  That went over equally well.  Then my older brother dropped me off at school one morning in his '66 Comet Cyclone GT with Bloodrock blaring out of the 8-Track.  I thought Mrs. Stevens was going to faint.

By today's standards, all of that stuff is very tame....

SeilerBird said:
You are right, he did not approve of it at first, but he has since then changed his mind and now approves. The parody gave him a lot of free publicity which translated into dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz2zsxMMoY0

While I was looking this up I started reading and found out Coolio had no beef at all. He stole the song directly from a 70s Stevie Wonder song Pastime Paradise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0S4SiLxt1s

Strange....I remember watching Coolio in an interview on MTV (remember them?) where he said him and Weird Al were no longer friends because of it.  Guess time (and $$$) heals all wounds.

i think Coolio was faking the rivalry just to sell records. You don't need an artist's permission go parody a song but Weird Al always gets approval from an artist before releasing the record. Al was told by Coolio's label that he had permission. Coolio said he didn't know anything about it and that is was his manager who gave the OK. Coolio would be a fool not to go along with a parody, especially one from Al and especially one as good as that. Nothing but dollar signs for Coolio.

And BTW - I love both Dylan and Neil Young's voice. I like their voices better than many of the traditional artists that do have good voices but I won't name names. And Neil is one of the best guitar players of all times. I spent a long time perfecting the lead to Like a Hurricane, one of the best guitar songs of all time. And it just doesn't get any better than Like A Rolling Stone.

Frizlefrak said:
I was 9 years old I will have you know.....  :p

Neil Young is one of the best songwriters ever, and I'm a huge CSN&Y fan.  I loved all his solo work from Harvest up to about the Freedom period.  But he has a voice that sounds like someone recovering from laryngitis. 

Yep, a baby :)

Neil Young's voice is one of the things about him that's so cool. I'm a raspy voice fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom