transporting a firearm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
99WinAdventurer37G said:
But if you, and people like you don't call, all they here from left wingnuts.  We'll never get our country back if we "assume" our call/letter doesn't mean anything.

I'm sorry,...... but, I think you have some unrealistic expectations about our dysfunctional governmental system.

our elected representatives receive 10 of millions of votes based solely along party lines,  and to be re-elected they are obliged to vote accordingly.....they are not influenced at all by the letters or calls they receive.   

just enjoy life while you can

There are people letting their CCL expire with no renewal  because of goobermint laws such as Maryland. That law and the court upholding it are tools for the disarming of law abiding American citizens. So now I know I can get through Maryland with an illegal firearm onboard easier than a legitimate one

Bill

I don't go through states with such stupid laws. If I have to, there is a gun safe in the RV.  Otherwise, just wave me over, I enjoy talking to officers. After all who else is knowledgeable about weapons and places to visit. I wish there was a bumper sticker "WARNING - Ex cop, heavily armed, and being nagged by his wife.  :-\ "

Cheers...

whiteva said:
I don't go through states with such stupid laws. If I have to, there is a gun safe in the RV.  Otherwise, just wave me over, I enjoy talking to officers. After all who else is knowledgeable about weapons and places to visit. I wish there was a bumper sticker "WARNING - Ex cop, heavily armed, and being nagged by his wife.  :-\ "

Cheers...
YES!
I want one of those bumper stickers.

Like one of the retired LEO's from the Left Coast (Ca.) mentioned earlier in the thread, I too have let my LEOSA expire, and need to re-qualify before traveling through any of the Liberal Communist, anti-Second Amendment states.  Because I won't travel in unfamiliar (or even many familiar) territories, without protection.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
It looks like in both cases they were pulled over for speeding.  Other things they may pull you over for are lights and loose items on your vehicle; such as bikes tied to the ladder that the officer thinks may fall off, or muffler bracket broken with the muffler hanging down. 

It is necessary for those of us that recognize a need to keep our family safe, to write our representatives in support of a national concealed carry permit.  Especially for those that spend a majority of their time on the road.  Such as salesman, RV'rs, and truck drivers.  There have been a number of truck drivers killed parking near a shipper or receiver.  I've not heard of many RV'rs robbed and shot, one would think they carry more cash than truck drivers, so I believe this is a lesson as to where to park.  Industrial areas are not as safe as most other areas.  Rest Areas on the highway have seen many shot and killed though, that's why many states are either shutting them down or providing security.  But we should be able to afford ourselves to the choice to either carry to protect ourselves, or be content to rely on the cops to draw a good chalk line around us and each of our family members. 

PLEASE, take the time, write and call your representatives.  Make sure they know you support, and expect them to support, a national concealed carry license to end this madness.

Enter your zip here to contact your congress person;  http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

You have two Senators, here's a link to write them;  http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm  Write and call both.

Contact made to Reps and Senators, we'll see if I get any response.
I've always believed, CCW's (which is a SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHT) should be reciprocal, just as drivers licenses (which is a PRIVILEGE) are.  Why is something, that is a privilege, treated better, than something which is a Constitutionally Protected Right?

As for the reason why these motorists were arrested and charged in Md. 
I understand, why they were stopped for traffic infractions, but the problem I have, is why their motor vehicles were searched, for weapons, which weren't in plain sight, without a warrant.  That seems like a Fourth Amendment violation to me!

99WinAdventurer37G said:
Federal, (emphasis added) and state law clearly state the gun must be locked in a separate container from the ammo.

State law yes(in some states), Federal law no, unless traveling by commercial air carrier and then the ammo part is a no-no altogether and the weapon must be in a locked approved container.

Everything else 99Win says though is right on target, I don't care who your reps are you need to make noise.  Being on the cusp of "Old Fart" I will suggest though that email or web sites might not be the best route to take in making contact.  A good old fashioned letter sent by USPS makes somebody actually open it and read it to find out if there's money in it.  From the letter you will receive a canned response from a staffer who is paid too much thanking you for your input and promising that "This is a very important issue for the Senator/Congressman."  You'll also wind up on their mailing list and start getting all kinds of updates on "important" issues that may or may not effect you as well as seeing that ever present political hand outstretched asking for your pennies as the poor, poor Senator/Congressman just has to get re-elected to continue the fight on your behalf.

Am I cynical??  DUH!! Of course I am but 99Win makes the point that a lot of us cynics ignore, either get off your butts and make a racket or quit complaining.  Feinstein, Boxer, Read, Pelosi and of course our current Elite Exalted Ruler are all there because too many folks just aren't fed up enough yet.

Now, if you'll pardon me I must remove my bifocals so that I don't trip, fall and break a hip whilst climbing down from my soap box.

Contacting your Senators and Congressmen is a good START.  But like Foto said, all you'll get is a canned response from a minion, and no real action will occur.
This is one of those issues, along with all the other gun rights issues, which will have to be addressed by the SCOTUS for resolution.
We need a volunteer for the test case.....
any takers?

I believe this is the only way to resolve the disparity in our Second Amendment rights, from state to state.
There will be problems with this for sure, though.
States, like Ma., Md., NY, NJ, Ct, etc., and cities, like New York City, DC, and Chicago, will disapprove of having to accept a reciprocal agreement to licensing and carry within their jurisdictions.  It will also require that all CCW licenses and permits, which the courts have already ruled are a privilege to possess and carry a firearm, for a Second Amendment Right, to own a firearm, the standards for that licensing will go to the one that is the most restrictive at the time the ruling is made.  It will also create problems for people who live in states such as Vt., which don't require or issue licenses or permits to carry.  What do we do with them?  If you say a National CCW, I think that will become more like a National ID card, and will be wrought with all the problems of everything the Federal Government gets their hands on!  Can you imagine, a dysfunctional, gridlocked Congress, or their appointed bureaucrats in some new Federal Agency,  trying to keep up with issuing National CCW's?

there was a time when our founding fathers were considered "outlaws" because of their refusal to give up their freedoms

I refuse to forfeit my constitutional rights.

so by default ..... I am now an outlaw.

I'm ok with that... I'd rather live as an outlaw, than die as a thrall .

Our governor said he'd sign a bill where Texans were not required to get permits to carry, concealed or open.

Guess we don't need to write no steenken emails down here.

Houston Remodeler said:
Our governor said he'd sign a bill where Texans were not required to get permits to carry, concealed or open.

Guess we don't need to write no steenken emails down here.

Texas.....what America used to look like.  :)

I do not object too much to getting a CCW permit in Texas...it would be difficult to have reciprocity with other states if we didn't have one. The current open carry push truly benefits no one.
What we truly need is a federal reciprocity similar to a marriage or driver's license. If it is legal for me to carry a 30 round, 45 caliber pistol in my home state in my pocket, I should be allowed to carry it in NYC or Delaware.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that less than 3% of CHL/CCW holders have been involved in any criminal event since they obtained their license.  In addition, they have had a FBI background check to insure the absents of a criminal record , and have fingerprints on file.  Anyone that would go through all that has a very low chance of having plans to be a danger to anyone else.

Houston Remodeler said:
Correction;

He said he sign a bill where no permit was needed to buy or carry

There's already no permit required to buy.  Texas has the castle doctrine too, so you can carry in your home or car without a permit. 

What actually SHOULD happen, but never will, is for the second amendment to be honored the way it was written.  The un-infringed right to keep and bear arms.  No purchase necessary.  No permits, no restricted classes, just the inalienable right we were endowed with by our Creator.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
One thing I have not seen mentioned is that less than 3% of CHL/CCW holders have been involved in any criminal event since they obtained their license.  In addition, they have had a FBI background check to insure the absents of a criminal record , and have fingerprints on file.  Anyone that would go through all that has a very low chance of having plans to be a danger to anyone else.

Very true. 

a federal gun license  .......FBI background check,  fingerprinting, a national database registration...

( ..Anyone that would go through all that has a very low chance of having plans to be a danger to anyone else...)

ok, with the current world events in mind..............then what ..... a federal religion license ?

a quote from one of our founding fathers...."Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security, Deserve Neither" 

TonyDtorch said:
a federal gun license  .......FBI background check,  fingerprinting, a national database registration...

ok, with the current world events in mind..............then what ..... a federal religion license ?

That will be followed by a license and tax on breathing the air......Maybe that's why Tom Brady's balls were deflated!

rebelsun said:
......Maybe that's why Tom Brady's balls were deflated!

we all know he has deflated balls......otherwise he would just admit he cheated.

jdq1986 said:
There's already no permit required to buy.  Texas has the castle doctrine too, so you can carry in your home or car without a permit. 

What actually SHOULD happen, but never will, is for the second amendment to be honored the way it was written.  The un-infringed right to keep and bear arms.  No purchase necessary.  No permits, no restricted classes, just the inalienable right we were endowed with by our Creator.

I agree, and as the Amendment is written, we should be able to own any "arms" we wish, up to, and including nuclear arms.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom