2001, 35 RP, Allegro Bay Pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was driving me nuts trying to get things just right.  We plan on going to the East Coast and the 5r with the motorcycle on the back just made me too nervous even though we were looking at a product that could be considered a non-triple tow.  Nothing like getting 2000 miles from home to find out you are illegal in someone's eyes.  I think this little MH is well built and will serve us well.  I think putting a small Toyota Pickup, or Chevy Colorado back there with the motorcycle in its bed will be just fine.  We are adding a satellite system and we will go to Costco and get a GPS system.  We launch in May!  I reviewed the Warranty.  Dimension Service Corporation, CSI Plan, has it.  Ned you are right as everything on the exclusion list are wear and tear items, misuse of the rig and things due to acts of God, like lightning or floods.  Thanks again, Phil 

$1900 for a three year extended warranty on a 2001 pusher sounds reasonable to me. Make sure the diesel engine stuff is covered and also the generator. Believe it or not, some policies include standard stuff like that. Read the entire warranty carefully.

Just had to say I am SO jealous !  I really want an Allegro.  I haven't given up on getting one, just haven't found one I can afford yet.
Have fun !!

Ron said:
I was under the impression the Allegro Bay series are gas powered Workhorse or Ford chassis and the Allegro Bus series are Diesel powered.

The Allegro Bay also comes with a FRED option on a Freightliner chassis - we have the 35tsb model.

motojavaphil said:
.....small dealership in Moriarty NM, near my work.....

Phil,

Do you live in Moriarty? Where do you work? I have a real good friend that lives there. Ken Martin, lives out CR127, don't know if you know him or not. Spent many many weekends out there when I was stationed at Kirtland.

Hey Tam Boona, Afraid I do not know him.  I work at the School District and commute.  Not saying I do not know his Grandkids or even his kids.  Give me a PM and a phone # and I will call him up and say hi.

Mollie, we tripped on this one as I was looking at HR's and Newmars and even a toyhauler were on my list.  I have bought three 5r's from this great Country Dealership who are rated the #1 Excel dealer in the US.  Stop in if you are ever in Moriarty NM.  Anyway DW found it online and we went that PM after work to see it.  Four new tires and a recent service!  I ran every system they had and everything worked wothout fanfare.  I took a deep breath and asked if I could test drive it having never driven a MH.  We were sitting on the lot and I called Kay, owner/sales person,  on the cell phone and asked if we could drive it.  The reply was sure, see you when you get back.  I advised I had never driven one and she said she was a 5r dealer and had not either.  Smart woman not taking her chances ;D.  I totally expected a slow boat to China but the Cat 330 moved that rig with more authority than I was ready for.  Jake brake kicks in later and I thought I' caused the brakes to hang up or something.  By the time it was over I had a big smile on my face and figured I'd found out someone's dirty little secret.  If you find an Allegro Bay Pusher, no one will believe you but it is real!  It was easy to drive ;D.  Good luck on your search, they are out there!

Gary, we did go over the warranty.  Wear items are not covered like hoses and things like that.  I need to drive the ABP 1000miles before the warranty kicks in.  We are going to drive to corpus and back at Christmas so 1000 miles will be met and we will have been it for 30 days, the other qualifier.  This must be a rare bird as I have not seen it listed in RVCG and places I normally look at. 

motojavaphil said:
Just curious but would towing a 24' trailer be a problem for this bus with a 330 Cat.  Weight pulled would be the trailer, a small Colorado Pickup and one 430lb BMW motorcycle.  I figure it would be between 4000 to 6000lbs.  Sure appreciate any keen insights...Thanks, Phil

Phil,

Checking the specs on the 2007 allegros show the Phaeton and Allegro Bus have 10,000lb hitches and the Zephyr has a 15,000lb hitch. The Allegro and Allegro Bay are less than 5000lbs. They probably are 5000lb hitches but are under rated for other reasons.

Phil,
I was looking up a Tiffin in NADA so thought I'd see what I could find on your  rather unusual model of Allegro Bay. First thing I found is that a 2001 model M35RP is an Allegro Bus rather than an Allegro Bay.  The very similar Allegro Bay is the model M35RB. It also noted that the Bay has a driver door while the Bus does not.  You might want to look closely at the model numbers and other details because there are some differences that are not readily apparent.

Not sure about 2001, but in later years the Bus was built on a heavier duty chassis than the Bay diesel, had a higher GVWR/GCWR and  had IFS instead of a solid axle. Both were 35 footers with the 330 Cat (also available with Cummins).

That said, it is not at all unusual for RV manufacturers to produce variants of their basic models at different times throughout the model year and not all of those variants make it to the published guides. I know - I had a 96 tag axle Southwind of which apparently only two were built and even those two weren't the same - it was obviously a work in progress that was being refined as they want along. It never did appear in the brochures for that year or in the NADA or Kelly guides thereafter.

Gary, This bus, according to the purchase document from Bankstom Motor Homes in Alabama, is called an Allegro Bay Pusher, 35 RP, 2001.  That said the date of Manufacture was late 1999, purchased in 2000 as a 2001.  It has no drivers door.  It cost almost $140,000 back then.  It does have the Freightliner Chassis.  I guess a call to Tiffin is in order.  I will also be speaking to the original owner this week who is going to come out and go over things with me.  It is the XC Freightliner chassis with a GVWR of 27,410.  I am not certain if this has IFS.  What would identify that feature?  I am looking at the chassis PM manual and not totally understanding what I am looking at. 
Thanks, Phil   

motojavaphil said:
.I guess a call to Tiffin is in order.

Do call Tiffin. I don't own one but their Phaeton is on our short list and I have called them twice with questions. Both times were really great. They were eager to answer questions and since the two I had were engineers they knew what they were talking about. One even called me back after checking on the answer.

Dexter

Dexter, we must be on the same track.  I emailed Tiffin with some questions, mostly "What were you thinking" stuff.  I gave them the Vin and Chassis #'s so we will see what comes from it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil

Phil,

In looking up the specs on Google for the XC chassis it appears it has a 10,000lb hitch. IFS is optional. There are several iterations of the chassis for GVWR but the GCWR remains 10,000lbs more. I would suggest you search on 1999 Freightliner XC chassis for recalls. There appear to be a few.

Never hurts to talk to the manufacturer.  Tiffin has a great reputation for customer support and I am sure they will be glad to give you information you request.  Sam with Freightliner.

The 27,000 lb GVWR sounds more like an Allegro Bay than a Allegro Bus, but rigs were lighter in 2001. I based my comments on the RP vs RB designation and the lack of a driver door, but as I said, there are often more variants than those recorded in the guide books.

Both models would have a Freightliner XC chassis - FL builds a wide range of chassis configurations under that generic label.  A solid front axle has a solid iron bar running between the two front wheels, i.e. a front axle. An IFS has no axle per se - each front wheel is on an independent arm (actually a very short, one-wheel axle, called a spindle).

Here is a site with more than you want to know about suspensions, but it has some excellent photos of independent and "dependent (i.e. solid axle) suspensions.

Now that I have reviewed the manual with the term axle being the operative word I have to conclude it is a dependent suspension.  It drove out so well I am surprised...new tires?  The final test will be to look at the rig itself (50 miles away) and figure out what is there.  I was under the other end and checked the airbags in front but did not note if the axle was there.  It has a Neway suspension according to the book.  I am going to assume it has an axle and a dependent suspension until I verify otherwise.  How long will airbags last generally.  He has done the PM on a regular basis and I have seen no reference to the airbags in the records.  Same with the shocks, what are there projected lifespans.  We are planning a trip from ALB to Corpus at Christmas.  What should I have checked with it being a used rig with 38000mi and my being a novice at MH's.  The dealer took it out to Tom's RV and had it checked over and a new converter was installed along with new batteries.  Some other small things were done.  I suspect it will be no problem.  The battery tray is one of the most clean I have ever seen.

Thanks for all the help on this.  Phil

Phil in the past I've always found that factory shocks generally needed to be replaced between 25K and 40K miles.  I emphasize factory because replacement shocks seem to me to last much longer.  As for Air Bags, no definite mileage factor cold be determined as far as I know.  when they go it, just seems to happen at once.  The last MH we had with Air Bags  still had the original at 73K miles when we sold it.  2 owners later at 109K last I saw it they were still functioning perfectly. Sounds like you've found an very decent unit.  Good luck

motojavaphil said:
What should I have checked with it being a used rig with 38000mi and my being a novice at MH's. 

TIRES, TIRES, TIRES!!!! :) Being a 2001 unit the tires are definitely due for replacement if they haven't been previously.

Jim, The tires were replaced about 6 months ago.  It drove out so well I thought it was IFS but later figured it must be the new tires.  The more I think about it I think I have a keeper here (knock on wood).  Bilstens would be nice on the corners which are rebuildable.  Oh well, time for bed....put this to rest.  Thank you everyone for the help with this, hope I did not overshare here.  I'll have more info tomorrow.  Phil

Back
Top Bottom