2001, 35 RP, Allegro Bay Pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
motojavaphil said:
Jim, The tires were replaced about 6 months ago.  It drove out so well I thought it was IFS but later figured it must be the new tires.  The more I think about it I think I have a keeper here (knock on wood).  Bilstens would be nice on the corners which are rebuildable.  Oh well, time for bed....put this to rest.  Thank you everyone for the help with this, hope I did not overshare here.  I'll have more info tomorrow.  Phil

Sounds like you've done your homework!! :)

Our 2003 Allegro BUS has a GVWR of 27,100 lbs and a CGVW of 37,100 lbs.

Thanks for the data point, Marsha. That's lighter than I expected for a coach in the Bus class. The Tiffin chassis specs on the Freightliner site indicated a heavier 31,000 lb chassis for the 36 ft Bus starting around 2004.  The 36 footer became a 38 the following year, so 04 was probably a transition year. Unfortunately the Tiffin data on the FL site only goes back to 2002, so I can't get chassis specs for Phil's 2001 Bay/Bus.

Phil,
Air bag life is very long - probably at least 15 years and potentially longer, based on the few reports I have seen of failed bags on FL and Spartan chassis. Don't confuse these heavy duty bags with the mediocre ones used on the old Chevy P30 chassis -  those were so crappy that Workhorse had to design a new one after they bought the Chevy chassis business.  I haven't seen any published recommended change interval. Shocks, on the other hand, have  variable life based on road surfaces as well as age. I would guess 40-60k miles would be typical and of course inspect annually for signs of fluid leakage. A shock that doesn't leak or physically break will deteriorate slowly and you simply get used to the poorer ride and handling. At some point you just replace them on general principles.

Gary,

Tim and I thought our year or very close to it might have been the last of the older ligherweight styles.  Tiffin improved their interior design and sytle and really beefed up the units.  I think they were trying to compete with top of the line coaches. 

The new Buses and Phaetons are really heavy.  When we were at the FMCA Redmond rally, I was poking around at a new Phaeton and glanced at the paperwork glued inside a closet door noting all the wieght and specs.  I thought I saw a ccc of close to 10,000; even remarked to Tim that I couldn't believe that number.  I'm probably wrong.

Marsha~

Marsha,

I don't remember the exact CCC for the Phaeton but it's not anywhere near 10,000lbs. I think it's closer to 3,000. I'm guessing the 10,000lb limit you saw was for the hitch. :)

Hi Jim,

You are probably right; then there is the "oldtimer's" issue regarding stuff like this.... ::)

We are all tucked into Traveler World RV park.  Tim worked on the outside and I cleaned the inside of the coach right after we got here; now we need to do the laundry and run to the grocery store...then sightsee.

It's cool and cloudy, nap and bookreading weather.

Thanks for the tip on the campground.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Hi Jim,

You are probably right; then there is the "oldtimer's" issue regarding stuff like this.... ::)

We are all tucked into Traveler World RV park.  Tim worked on the outside and I cleaned the inside of the coach right after we got here; now we need to do the laundry and run to the grocery store...then sightsee.

Marsha~

Hi Marsha,

Hope you like Traveler's World. Sure is the most convenient to downtown San Antonio. Can't wait until we can return! Be careful of the restaurants on the River Walk. We passed the Irish Pub looking for a place to eat. Heard great Irish music coming from inside. Checked with another restaurant and the prices were really high. Went back to the Pub. Music had changed to "other" stuff. The hamburger and Guiness cost more than the other restaurant!!!! ;D ;D ;D Still was a lot of fun.

Marsha/CA said:
Hi Jim,

Marsha~

Hope you and Tim have an enjoyable time in San Antonio.

Well, as all things go we decided against the Tiffin.  We went in circles with finace companies and we felt it was overpriced with no wiggle room due to its consigners.  We let it go but it sure was a good MH.  We did find a Beaver Patriot, 2000, with the Monticello Package.  It has 23000mi and we will be purchasing it close to wholesale.  It does need tires and we will be having a mechanic check it our next week.  It will come with the same warranty as for the Allegro although a bit more expensive due to an increase in value.  Hopefully the previous owner has gotten the bugs out that seem to have when new.
You guys were awesome with the help and we sure appreciated it.  Thanks Phil 

If you did not feel comfortable with the whole deal then then you did the right thing.  I am sure you will find the right rig  and hopefully it will be the Patriot.

It seems you have "decided" on a rig type or model several times, only to change your mind at the last minute? I'd say you have a bad case of buyer's remorse, so bad it sets in before you even write the check!  Just kidding, Phil!!!  It's a big decision and you have to be comfortable with it.

You ought to consider the American Dream that Steve Pally advertised for sale on this board recently. You won't find a better maintained coach anywhere - Steve is compulsive about preventive maintenance, inside and out. American Dream Ad

Phil,
One of the things to look for in that 2000 Beaver is the windshield. In model years 1997-2002, there was a problem with the cut out of the windshield. Lots of complaints with windshield popping out, when the coach was being leveled.  Just be careful of that. Hope that the Patriot you are considering didn't have that problem.

When we were considering buying a Blue Bird Wanderlodge, we talked to a lot of BB owners. Hopefully, there might be  Forumites that own a Patriot, that will post their opinions here.

Regards,
Liz Pearce

RV Roamer said:
You ought to consider the American Dream that Steve Pally advertised for sale on this board recently. You won't find a better maintained coach anywhere - Steve is compulsive about preventive maintenance, inside and out. American Dream Ad

I second what Gary said about Steves American Dream. The American Dream is an excellent coach and Steves is probably way above average.

The Dream would be a great rig for us.  We are at the closing end of the Beaver and I sense will be a good coach for us.  The Beaver is local and from a Dealer we trust and like so that makes it easier.  I am sure Steve will sell his rig having looked at few in our search.  If something comes up I will certainly look at Steve's.  Thanks for the tip though. 

I have found a Cat certified(07) master mechanic who owns a shop in Moriarty.  He will be doing the mechanical check of our rig next week including ball joints, brakes and other items.  I am tempted to ask him to service the Beaver, with the oil change, lubrication of the chassis and filter changes, i.e., a 20000mi check.  Have I got the bases covered with this as this seems top be pretty extensive on the Magnum Chassis.  We will be taking a trip to Corpus over Christmas and I want it to be safe and uneventful.  Being our first ever MH, not counting my old VW camper, there sure is lots of stuff compared to our 5r.  Does Transmission fluid need to be changed based on time like brake fluid and other hydraulic systems?  Any other info will be appreciated...Thanks, Phil 

Phil

Chassis usually need a lube every 6 months. Check with Monaco if the owner isn't leaving you an owner's manual.

You can check with CAT and Allison for the service intervals on those items. Depending on mileage, but at least yearly, you'll probably need to change oil and filters on both. There is an FMCA rally in Indio, CA in early January. CAT, Allison and Monaco will be giving seminars on maintaining their products.

Phil

Unless you have records on service from previous owner....I would have all fluids/filters changed including trans,hydraulic,oil & anti-freeze.  This way you will be starting from a known service point.

I would also change the air filter, engine belts & probably the batteries.

Terry and Bernie, I do have the PM logs on the rig and all manuals.  It was serviced at 20000mi and then driven until 2005 adding an additional 3000mi.  I figure fluids and filters will be a necessary change as well as the tires.  The batteries seem to be holding their charge well, and may have been replaced along the way, so I am hesitant to throw money at them.  I just was not sure about the transmission and other hydraulic systems.  Brake system is a definite change but I was not sure how much moisture hydralic systems retain, like brake fluid.  It would seem like the tranny would be OK but I am not sure how time sensitive the fluid is.  More than likely everything needs to be changed as you have counseled.
Thanks, Phil

Phil

I'm not sure what you mean by "Brake system is a definite change" ???  IIRC, the 2001 Beaver had air brakes, so there would be nothing to change other than purging the air tanks.

All fluids are time sensitive to some degree. Allison recommends changing Dexron III annually. Considering how long the coach has sat, I would change ALL fluids, regardless, including a good radiator flush.

PHil  over the years I've changed Tranny Fluid every 15K miles on Gassers and Know people that change Tranny fluid on Diesels at 20K  Not sure what is proper on the them but precaution is always better than hind sight after trouble occurs when in doubt.JMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom