2009 RV FORUM SOUTHEAST FALL RALLY SCHEDULED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm copying the rally information to the top of the thread for easier access. It has gotten kind of lost in the chatter...

ATTENDEES (as of 10/14/2009)
--------------------------------------------------------
Gary & Nancy Brinck   [RV Roamer]
Dave & Jeanette Reavis   [Dave R]
Joel & Camille Myers   [Joelmyer] (but Camille will visit on a day trip)
Barb & Frank Weimert   [Barb]
Carson & Carol Carstensen   [Carson]
Jim & Tarry Johnson   [Jim Johnson]
Ray & Ladonna Baginski   [Raynladonna]
Ron & Shirley Marabito   [Ron From Big D]
Don & Mary Ann Nesbitt   [gmsboss1]
Lou & Jane Long   [Onaquest]
Jim O'Conner   [Mr Bojangles]
Clyde and Sandy Doer  [clydedoer]
Jeff & Sue Cousins   [Jeff]
Jim & Betty Miles
Dale & Karen Henderson [Gypsy Rovers]

Re-post of original announcement...

Nancy & I are going camping and invite all our  RV Forum friends (and their friends too) to join us. This years Fall Rally will be at the Lake Aire RV Park near Charleston, SC, from Oct 28 thru Nov 1. Come early or late and stay later if you can, but please join us.

Charleston has lots to see and do and there is plenty of shopping for the ladies. For the men there is the aircraft carrier Yorktown and Fort Sumter and nearly everybody enjoys the fascinating Charleston Aquarium or Magnolia Plantation.

Lake Aire is on the outskirts of Charleston, just off US 17.  They have grassy sites with plenty of full hook-ups and both 30A and 50A available. Most are pull-through sites.  The area we will be in is open, so satellite tv or internet should work fine. We will also have the use of their pavilion and big fire pit.  Free Wifi too, though I don't know how much of the park it covers.

Make your own reservations and tell them you are with the RV Forum group. Passport America rates are honored and so are Good Sam and Happy Campers or ask about the special rally rate.

50amp full hook up sites are $24.59 per night and 30amp full hook up is $21.27 per night and these rates do include tax and sewer.

Lake Aire RV Park
4375 Highway 162
Hollywood, SC 29449
(843) 571-1271
[email protected]
http://www.lakeairerv.com/index.html

Re-post of original agenda...

The usual daily happenings will occur, all informal (we rarely do anything "formal" anyway).

- an informal coffee klatch starting around 8 a.m. or whenever people begin to stumble about. Bring your coffee or tea cup and maybe a pot of coffee or some sweet rolls to share
- Happy Hour around 4 pm. Bring your favorite beverage for yourselves and perhaps some hors de'ouvres to share
- Meal time around 6 pm or so. Bring your own plate and utensils.
- Evening camp fire where we continue the camaraderie and swap lies wisdom & humor

Because the first night is usually very social as people renew old friendships and make new ones, I suggest that we plan the first night (10/28) to have "heavy hors de-ouvres" and call that "dinner". That way we don't have to pause to get a meal together.

On the second night (10/29), Nancy & I will provide the evening meal, probably chicken or ribs or maybe even both. Just bring your appetite and utensils.

On the third night (10/30), we could do the traditional pot luck dinner, if folks wish to bring a dish, or maybe somebody else will volunteer something?

And on the last night (10/31) we may want to go out to a restaurant or Huh Whatever the group decides

One of the Southeast rally traditions is a breakfast on one morning, prepared by the men while the ladies kibitz.  The ladies typically take off for a shopping trip afterward while the men clean up. Are you guys interested in doing that?  If so, we will have to decide on a menu and day. Maybe Saturday a.m.?     Follow-up: Several people wanted to do this, so consider it to be "ON". We will figure out the details when we get there.

PA website says $13.75 discount rate for a 30A WE site PLUS $4.00 utilities surcharge for a total of $17.75.  That can be upgraded with sewer for $1.75 and 50A for $3.00. That would be  $17.75 + 1.75 + $3.00 = $22.50, right?  Plus SC tax, which is a whopping 10.5% on hotel rooms and rv park sites.  I think the regular rate for a 50A FHU is $32 + tax.

A little side conversation.  Have you calculated the distance to travel to this neat event from your starting point? You won't regret it.

Would be interesting to know from the folks that have signed up and intend to attend.

I live in central Florida- West/Gulf coast. My travel encompasses approx. 375 miles one way.

I will probably stay overnight about half way on the trip (enjoying the RV'ing experience).

Would like to know about the rest of the folks info planning to attend.

carson FL

Carson, MS&T says my trip would be 293.9 miles one way.  I haven't decided if I would drive it in one, or two, stages.

Carson:
From Pa. to RV Park will be 712 miles one way (12.4 Hrs) and overnight somewhere. Street Atlas 2009 used for calculation.

We will be on a month long trip from central Florida to Norfolk, VA area and then back south again, with stops along the way. The rally will be part of the return trip.  I have no idea where we will be the night before, but the total trip will probably run about 2000 miles or so.

If we went directly, it would be about 844 miles. Probably 3 overnights, and arrive on the fourth day. Gonna try to overnight in the WalMart in Rock Hill, SC, on the 26th. And try to get fuel in the Hess on 17 in Johns Island, SC.

But we're not taking a direct route, and it's gonna take us 18 days to get there. Visiting family, friends, and repair shops along the way. About 950 miles.

Click on Location to see our Location

For those attending the rally, I would recommend a little day trip..not far just North of Charleston..

IT is another plantation...historic...  It is called "BOONE  HALL PLANTATION". History galore and entertainment. I think it is free, iirc.

Here is the website

Enjoy...we did.

carson FL

RV Roamer said:
Re-post of original announcement...

[size=10pt]Nancy & I are going camping and invite all our  RV Forum friends (and their friends too) to join us.

Thanks for invitation Gary. It would have been a nice opportunity to meet many people in person. I made reservations and several hours later my daughter called and informs me that she had just re-booked an unused plane ticket and is coming to visit us during the same week of the rally :-\ . So needed to cancel the rally and hope to have an other opportunity to meet some of the forum members in the future.

Our one way distance to the rally will be 1360 miles.    Richardson, Texas, via Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas, Smoky Mountain NP and on to Hollywood, SC.

Since we were robbed of our summer travels, we are really anxious to get on the road and see old sites and see old and new friends.

I guess The Navigator and I could claim that we are coming to the SE Rally from St. Mary, MT, making the trip, according to Google Maps, between 2500 and 2600 miles, depending on route taken.

Does the 2 week break at the stick house in Cary, NC on the way disqualify us?

Sure looking forward to the Rally!

Don
writing from Pender, NE

Back
Top Bottom