Any LEGAL (and sensible) way to improve a truck's towing capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blw2 said:
as I posted earlier, I still think that you can within the limits of your owner's manual and the engineering done by the manufacturer, affect the capacity through changing the rear end gearing (to gearing that the manufacturer had offered as an option for that model.)  I don't know anything about the legal aspects of it, but otherwise.....
as an example, using my 2006 silverado which has the factory tow package, 5300 V8, and the 3.42:1 rear diff,
I have a GCVWR = 13,000#
but if I were to go to the salvage yard and find a 2006 model silvy exactly the same but with a 4.10:1 diff, and drop that in under my truck I'd gain 1,000# capacity with a 14,000# GCVWR

Is that not right?

Yes you are correct

BoomerD said:
blw2, In your case, POSSIBLY so, since you'd already have the necessary suspension upgrades for the tow package and such. With that tow capacity, you have...3/4 ton...maybe 1 ton?

In my case, my truck has NONE of that...and I'd probably have to basically remove the radiator cap...and drive a different truck under it.
it just irritates me to have to buy a new (er) truck just to gain a ton of towing capacity. Not CARGO capacity...just towing...but, "it is what it is," so I'm back to square one. New (to me) truck....or smaller trailer? (or both?)

We'll see.
actually I don't believe the tow package adds anything to the suspension or much else for that matter.... it's wiring for lights and brakes, hitch, tranny cooler, maybe an upgraded radiator.  All things easily added after-market
and no, it's a half ton (numbers are GCVWR, not "tow capacity"

Well...to all you naysayers who said there was no legal way to increase my towing capacity... :p

I did it...I more than doubled my towing capacity...from 5000 lbs to 10,700 lbs.

Bought a brand-spanking new 2018 F-150 4x4 Supercrew this week. 3.5l engine, 10 speed transmission, tow package, some of the "bells and whistles" I wanted...the only thing I forgot about when I was looking...was extendable towing mirrors.  :-[ But that's a fairly easy fix later down the road.

http://www.whodah.com/albums/album34/aaa.sized.jpg

Nice truck, gets very decent gas mileage so far, (averaging just about 20 mpg in the first 400 miles, mixed city/highway driving)

Now to find that "perfect trailer" and sell our Class A.

Thanks to all who chimed in and helped keep me sane...and safe!

Congratulations!

It really is dumb that Ford doesn?t include the towing mirrors in a package they call ?max trailer tow package.?

Back
Top Bottom