Bedside Drawer Install/Purchase/Modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msu50000

Wife and I purchased a Catalina Bunkhouse this week and we are really looking forward to getting out and enjoying it. There are a few things I'll be tinkering with/adding to on it. One of the things that my wife would like is a bedside drawer that many TTs have, for whatever reason(cost) it was omitted on the Catalina. I've attached a picture of what my wife would like.

Does anyone have any idea on how to make or where to purchase these? I'm ok with woodworking but by no means an expert.

Attachments

• 20170220_104800.jpg
    20170220_104800.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 38
I built drawers for both sides of the bed in our trailer. It's not hard to do if you have some woodworking know-how. The tricky part is accurately locating the runners in the existing cabinetry. Basically, after cutting out the openings for the drawers, I built cabinets that fit down into the bottom of each wardrobe to hold the runners and stops. There is still plenty of room for hanging clothes above the drawers, as long as you're not trying to hang ball gowns. And yes, it is nice to have drawers on each side.

Here's a ready made 16 inch cube with 2 drawers.

Comes in 3 different colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Foremost-327406-Modular-2-Drawer-Storage/dp/B000O1FQXQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1487805566&sr=1-2&keywords=stackable+drawers&linkCode=ll1&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=721f5c5c0613f19847c1a78b5371afad

Attachments

• cube drawers.jpg
    cube drawers.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 3
I was on amazon and typed in "desktop drawer" and a lot of interesting things popped up in a variety of sizes.

I liked this one, should fit by the bed.

Dimensions: 7-5/8-inch wide by 5-1/8-inch deep by 8 1/8-inch high

https://www.amazon.com/Lipper-International-4-tier-Organizer-Brown/dp/B005FL8BA0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1487806771&sr=8-12&keywords=desktop+drawer&linkCode=ll1&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=c21db3eca85526e4a3d8b75fc8b243db

Attachments

• bedside storage.jpg
    bedside storage.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 5
If you are handy, just make a drawer box no need for fancy dove tails etc, just 4 sides and a bottom.  Make the receiver box first and then make the drawer 1 inch narrower.  Then buy a pair of full extension roller drawer glides which install on the sides of the frawer carcase.  The are 1/2 inch each and will nest together easily and will locki so the drawer can't be pulled out to far.  They easily unlock.  They install using 3-4  half inch screws.  Make a simple face frame and install and overlap drawer face and install a pull. 

Just use WW Glue and air nails no need to even dado in the drawer bottom, just nail it to the bottom of the drawer carcase.

These can be bought at home depot or menards or lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-D80618C-ZP-W-18-Inch-Bearing-Drawer/dp/B0064MDR5I/ref=pd_sim_60_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0064MDR5I&pd_rd_r=2A2K16WDEGR4A6X20SVG&pd_rd_w=Qnvyf&pd_rd_wg=DaJ69&psc=1&refRID=2A2K16WDEGR4A6X20SVG

Thanks all, I think I'll go the route of making my own, simple box style and put a small piece of solid counter on top to spruce it up. Thanks for the ideas, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom