Beware of Good Sam's Extended Warranty Plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camojeep

Recently, while on a family RV vacation, our microwave/convection oven quit working.  I called Sharp Ind. and their answer was to drive it 200 miles to their service center, which was very impractical.  I tried to contact the "Good Sam" extended Warranty group and they are not open on the weekends, only Monday thru Friday.  On Monday morning I called, and was told I must take it to a Certified RV technician for diagnosis, we removed the defective unit and hauled it to town. They (RV shop) called us to report it was not repairable, they called the Warranty office with their report.  The Warranty company would not accept this report and ask for another opinion, another repair shop checked the unit out and reported the same thing (not repairable).  The Warranty group asking the same questions every time we called.  We provided all the information they requested, then they said the mileage numbers did not match their records.  Their numbers reported over 10,000 miles when we purchased the vehicle new  in November of 2013.  They implied the odometer had been tampered with as we were now reporting 4100 miles.  I called the selling dealer (Camping World) immediately and they faxed the correct mileage to them.

Every time we called them they had another challenge or stumbling block for us.  This all took two and a half weeks, then they denied our claim.  This left us sitting in the desert in 100 degree temperatures, which ruined our vacation.  How is a business allowed to operate like this?  They took my money quick enough, and provided nothing.  I have no respect for any "Good Sam" Warranty plans or anything else they offer.

Sounds like you were clearly taken advantage of.  Write to Marcus Lemonis.  We have heard many stories about how he got involved and wanted to prove his claim that he is trying to change things with his empire.

I have a Good Sam Extended Warranty on my 2006 CC and have had excellent service, In fact they have paid more for covered repairs then I have paid them to date.

Our experience of Good Sam Extended Warranty has only been positive. I think it is a matter of protocol. Each and every time work had to be done, the certified business did all the legwork of approval before anything was worked on.
As stated in Jim Logan's post, Good Sam has paid more for covered repairs than what we have paid them to date.

Jim Logan said:
  I have a Good Sam Extended Warranty on my 2006 CC and have had excellent service, In fact they have paid more for covered repairs then I have paid them to date.
Maybe that is why the OP's claim was denied.  Had to recoup the money somehow  :p

QUOTE:
This left us sitting in the desert in 100 degree temperatures, which ruined our vacation.

How does a failed microwave oven equate to your  claim (complaint) above? 

buchanan said:
QUOTE:
This left us sitting in the desert in 100 degree temperatures, which ruined our vacation.

How does a failed microwave oven equate to your  claim (complaint) above?
I was wondering that myself  ???

We started working with one RV shop and we hoped the matter would not take as long as it did.  We even tried working with Camping World but they were little help.  Next time we won't waste our time by thinking we were dealing with a good business.

Our warranty papers stated the microwave/convection was covered by this warranty.  I guess they lied.

My two cents worth: I don't buy extended warranties and I actually changed from Good Sam Road Service to CoachNet....so I don't have a dog in this fight.
I have a micro/convection in my rig and it would be easy to unplug, unscrew the faceplate and remove the unit...leave it with someone for analysis/decision.... pick up another one as they don't cost much and either figure out the reimbursement later or just live with the decision...and drive on. A simple microwave only by itself to use temporarily would cost 50 bucks at walmart!.....I wouldn't let it ruin a trip, nor slow me down for more than a couple of hours. Just my opinion.

Camojeep said:
Our warranty papers stated the microwave/convection was covered by this warranty.  I guess they lied.
understood but GS warranty never left u sitting in the desert in 100 degree heat we are all curious as to why u posted that

My reading ... they were "stuck" in one place, with their microwave at one shop, then another, waiting to get their problem resolved, while they were given the runaround on the warranty.

We bought Good Sam's extended warranty and I would never do it again!  It's ok if the item  you have to replace, like our hydrohot, inverter, are still being made and able to replace with the same unit.  BUT if they can't replace it with a refurbished unit, or fix the parts, they will give a "minimal" amount for the fix.  i.e. our hydrohot cost us $8,000 for the unit and Good Sam paid $500!  We got an attorney and they are supposed to be giving us another $5,000 plus.  Have been promising the check and still have not received it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klausmichael
Back
Top Bottom