Boondocking SCARE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• SlingShot.jpg
    SlingShot.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
I too  travel with firearms. I am always aware of my surroundings, have had the proper training, and train with them on a regular basis. They do not make me unhappy. I most of the time forget that I am carrying them as the holsters I use are very comfortable. By being aware of my surroundings I can hopefully avoid putting myself in a situation where I will need one. As said before but differently, "It is better to not need a gun and have one, then to need one and not have one." There are millions of law Abiding Americans walking the streets/dining/ and playing in parks/recreation areas with you that are carrying and you will never know it. They do not have them to use them, or to make themselves feel like John Wayne. They have them for personal protection and personal protection only. Although if you are in trouble and they are around you may find yourself covered as many will not stand idly by and watch someone else hurt or killed. The perception of people shooting others over parking spaces/ or others butting in line in front of them is pure BS. Law abiding citizens have a lower criminal rate then even the police. Check out http://www.gunfacts.info for the truth. They even site their sources so you can look it up, not just tell you this is the way it is and expect you to believe them. Nough said

Molaker said:
Here's one that is probably legal and might fit in the RV.  Used properly, it can be nearly as effective as a firearm with far less possibility of shooting one's self. :eek:

Now I like that!  Think it folds up compact enough to fit in the basement storage.  ;D

CRIMINALS PREFER UNARMED VICTIMS!

I am just glad criminals always ask me if I am armed before assaulting me - that way I can lie and tell them I am packing...

FrankNSharon said:
I am just glad criminals always ask me if I am armed before assaulting me - that way I can lie and tell them I am packing...

;D Frank, your defense is about as effective as mine.  As a heart disease patient, I carry a small bottle of Nitroglycerin tablets for emergency relief from angina and stress.  When (if) I'm threatened with intrusion I can just yell out "stand clear, I've got a bottle of nitroglycerin, and I know how to use it". :D 8)

I have a baseball bat and a 38 beside the front door, hope I pick the right one! I would hate to take a baseball bat to a gunfight. If anyone remember a previous post of my close encounter with the swat team, I believe the bat would be the best choice.

A 2 million candle power light will momentary blind someone at night. A gas charged boat horn will make enough noise to stop someone and bear spray will stop them cold. Why carry a gun and risk shooting  someone -  maybe the wrong person?

Ned said:
And yet you still hang around here :)
RLSharp said:
And continue to read and reply to JFD's messages!  I hope that you carry a lot of that nitro.

Ned and Rich,  both you guys know that I thrive on my daily fix of RVforum. :) ;)

With cardiovascular disease, chronic congestive heart failure, atrial fibrillation and hardening of the arteries my heart just might coast to a stop without a JFD jolt from time to time. :D   

On the very first night of our cross country trip this summer we slept in a Walmart in Davenport Iowa.  At 4 am , I was awoken by a scraping noise, sounding like someone was under the coach, or in the bins.  (We were directly under a light)  I jumped over the darling husband, who heard NOTHING, and peeked out the front window to see a man standing three inches from the window looking under the coach.  I FREAKED., jumped in the drivers seat, and tried to start the engine to run the $)(*%$ over! ... Luckilly for everyone I couldnt find the ignition key, and as I was looking I noticed that the guy had a remote control car that he was running around the parking lot.  Really?  at four am?  are you KIDDING ME?  The RV was his obstacle course?  Unbelievable.  I guess it must have gotten stuck under the coach, and he was retrieving it, but from the sounds that awoke me, it was apparant that this had been going on for a while.  .  .  . 

After my heart got back to some sort of normal rhythm, the DH took the keys from me , and we had a really, really early start THAT morning.  Didnt stay in another Walmart for the rest of the trip. Not sure if I ever will unless there are other RVs there.

We travelled with pepper spray, high intensity flashlights, and the son's airsoft gas powered pistol.

Just Lou said:
;D Frank, your defense is about as effective as mine.  As a heart disease patient, I carry a small bottle of Nitroglycerin tablets for emergency relief from angina and stress.  When (if) I'm threatened with intrusion I can just yell out "stand clear, I've got a bottle of nitroglycerin, and I know how to use it". :D 8)

You sound like a friend of mine. she has a license plate frame that says, "I'm a redhead. Don't make me use it!"

Chet18013 said:
A 2 million candle power light will momentary blind someone at night. A gas charged boat horn will make enough noise to stop someone and bear spray will stop them cold. Why carry a gun and risk shooting  someone -  maybe the wrong person?

What if the bad guy has a gun ?  The flashlight, horn and bear spray are no match.  I'd prefer to use a gun to 'persuade' the bad guy to move along...

anemic said:
@ 1AM my wife is in a complete state of panic. She has a flashlight in her face laying in bed on her frontside head up neck craned to the bright light in the window. She can't even speak. She is making a sound of fear, not a scream just low grade sound because she didn't what else to do; as though she were stuck between awake and asleep and in a bad state as well. I wake up to this.

Normally I stay away from gun topics because there is no real right answer, however. most responders are saying that the OP should get a gun..............I however would be very afraid of what would happen if that were to happen. based only on what was posted in the above quote (since I don't know the OP at all) neither one of them had their senses about them at the time. if the wife had of gotten a hold of a gun could she have used it? and used it correctly. or would she have simply shot out the bedroom window (or her husband)?
in any case IF you carry then YOU MUST be ready to use lethal force. right or wrong the choice is made when you draw the gun and point it at ANYONE you are ready to end that life RIGHT then, if it is a bad guy you had better be ready to pull the trigger without any hesitation, if it is a good guy then you had better be prepared to be shot. the good guys are trained to defend themselves. and when they see the gun YOU ARE NOW THE BAD GUY.

Stay safe and aware.

This has been one of the more civil & respectful discourses. Color me impressed!

I am going to get a few of what I would call "Gun Nut" bumper stickers for both front & rear bumpers and the entry door's window;

Criminals Prefer Unarmed Victims
Try to find some NRA stickers without joining
Pry My Handgun From My Cold Dead Hands
Charlton Heston Is My God

Are there others? the idea is obviously to make it abundant clear, "Don't Make Me Use It, But If You Do I Relish The Opportunity To Shoot You"

I used to have Ruffed Grouse Society and Trout Unlimited stickers but the deterrent effects of a dry fly to the eye may not be sufficient.

1275gtsport said:
Normally I stay away from gun topics because there is no real right answer, however. most responders are saying that the OP should get a gun..............I however would be very afraid of what would happen if that were to happen. based only on what was posted in the above quote (since I don't know the OP at all) neither one of them had their senses about them at the time. if the wife had of gotten a hold of a gun could she have used it? and used it correctly. or would she have simply shot out the bedroom window (or her husband)?
in any case IF you carry then YOU MUST be ready to use lethal force. right or wrong the choice is made when you draw the gun and point it at ANYONE you are ready to end that life RIGHT then, if it is a bad guy you had better be ready to pull the trigger without any hesitation, if it is a good guy then you had better be prepared to be shot. the good guys are trained to defend themselves. and when they see the gun YOU ARE NOW THE BAD GUY.

Stay safe and aware.

Thank you for your courteous comments. I could not agree more that anybody in such a tired sleep state would be unpredictable when they had the option of a gun. Combine that with the notion of shooting the flashlight guy, what a nightmare that would be and so much worse than actually discussing it with the deputy.

I acknowledge the risk of a tricky person bad guy luring me out with a verbal, "come on out, Sherrifs Dept" I learned that lesson & we have developed a plan for dealing with it in the future.

I've basically lurked my own thread since starting it while steering clear of offering my opinion. This had been a great & positive learning experience & discussion. I am gun aware. I had done a lot of hunting with shotguns in the past. The gun-sporting lifestyle has been completely replaced with general family, family sailing & family skiing and travel to accomplish & participate in skiing & sailing, so we don't have time for gun based sports. I know enough about guns that I actually do not want to have guns in my own home. I have a massive healthy respect for guns & knowledge about gun safety that I have lacking in many gun toters (friends). (example drinking & shooting, yikes)

I don't feel that more guns are the answer to day to day problems. I think there are very few situations where  having a gun is the only & best answer.

Getting into a gunfight in a plywood & styrofoam RV habitat with my family in it would be the last thing I would ever do.

Obviously we all have different perspectives and backgrounds, and others have a different perspective. I'm fine with that. We all make our own choices. You carry if that is what gives you comfort, security & safety. Carrying would not grant me that peace.

Thanks for all the input!

I'm glad we have had this discussion, so that perhaps somebody is AWARE that you might get a startling knock at the door in the wee dark hours. We had not previously considered that as a possibility for some reason. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom