Central Illinois to Orlando

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turfhead

On Friday I am taking my family to Disney World and pulling our TT.  In the interest of TV health and wear and tear, I am considering the Nashville - Birmingham - Mongomery route and then jumping back over to I-75 via US 82.  On our last trip (without the camper) we took the Nashville - Chattanooga - Atlantal route, and I remember some very loooong steep grades.  Makes me cringe thinking about the wear and tear on our Durango.  According to Google, I lose about an hour going through Alabama, but it looks like a much flatter trip, less scenic maybe, but easier on the vehicle.

Any thoughts out there? Will I be gaining anything on the "steep grade" issue by taking the Alabama route, or is it a wash?  Just thinking out loud and I know someone out there is familiar with the two routes!

Thanks!

A couple of my cousins & families (they both have TT's) caravaned down there from the St. Louis area last year, so I'll check in and let you know what route they took.  My in-laws live north of Orlando now since they retired, and we've already flown down twice from IL to FL since they moved.  I'm sure we'll be making the RV pilgrimage one of these years too, although it's kinda hard to justify (both finances and time) since we already have free lodging/meals/transportation with the in-laws when we fly.

FWIW, I know my in-laws (who have made the FL to IL trip at least a dozen times in 3 years) almost always take the Atlanta-Chattanooga route and like it best, having experimented with every other possible variation.  However, their trips have never included RV'ing or towing which of course adds its own challenges.

I've been both ways several times.  The Alabama route is definitely flatter and easier on the tow vehicle, however I'm not convinced that the extra distance is worth it, especially if you just go slow up the hills and maybe program a stop or two in there to let the transmission cool down.  If you have a tranny temp guage it would pay to keep an eye on that.  I assume you have a separate transmission cooler . . . if not, you might want to consider adding one.  The worst of the hills is only about a 40-50 mile stretch, right as you are going into Tennessee from Kentucky.

Turfhead said:
On Friday I am taking my family to Disney World and pulling our TT.  In the interest of TV health and wear and tear, I am considering the Nashville - Birmingham - Mongomery route and then jumping back over to I-75 via US 82.  On our last trip (without the camper) we took the Nashville - Chattanooga - Atlantal route, and I remember some very loooong steep grades.  Makes me cringe thinking about the wear and tear on our Durango.  According to Google, I lose about an hour going through Alabama, but it looks like a much flatter trip, less scenic maybe, but easier on the vehicle.

Any thoughts out there? Will I be gaining anything on the "steep grade" issue by taking the Alabama route, or is it a wash?  Just thinking out loud and I know someone out there is familiar with the two routes!

Thanks!

That's the route I take. In Montgomery, take I-65 south to I-85 east to exit 11. Exit 11 turn right and head on Chantilly Parkway/AL-110 which will dead end on US 82 just west of Union Springs. Then take US 82 east thru Eufala. Just watch your speed going thru Eufala.

Back
Top Bottom