correct way to use the toilet in the MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GUILTY!

I bought in on all the toilet chemical propaganda.  I am a user (do I go to jail?)  Now after reading all this good, odor free, information, I promise to become a convert.

Do we also need a discusion on toilet paper?  Do I need to continue to purchase "special" toilet paper, or will the inexpensive Wal-Mart brand work trouble free?  Or, at least not cause plumbing problems

[quote author=FEman]Do we also need a discusion on toilet paper?  Do I need to continue to purchase "special" toilet paper, or will the inexpensive Wal-Mart brand work trouble free?  Or, at least not cause plumbing problems[/quote]

Oh no, not again  :'(

If you haven't already done so, check out the results of the RV Forum roilet paper test in our forum library:

http://www.rvforum.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=41

Next time around, we might call it the sandpaper test  ;D

It never fails! Bring up an RV toilet and its tank and we get two pages of discussion; mention man going to the moon and there are ten replies. ;D ;D

FEman said:
I bought in on all the toilet chemical propaganda.  I am a user (do I go to jail?)  Now after reading all this good, odor free, information, I promise to become a convert.

Well bless you Brother FEman.

Do we also need a discusion on toilet paper?  Do I need to continue to purchase "special" toilet paper, or will the inexpensive Wal-Mart brand work trouble free?  Or, at least not cause plumbing problems

As you may have gathered, the subject has been raised before and at some length.  To save you much research, and outhouse humor, simply switch to Scotts Single Ply.  And when you do, note on the lable on the packaging that states that this poduct is "safe for septic tank and RV use".  That label is the clue.  Other common brands are also OK, maybe Tom or someone will mention them.  Scotts is very widely available and cheap.

Bring up an RV toilet and its tank and we get two pages of discussion; mention man going to the moon and there are ten replies.

It does say something about our priorities, doesn't it :(

zukIzzy said:
I am not saying anyone is wrong but I don't understand the train of thought.

Most of the smell of decomposing organic matter comes from the methane and other off gassing of the bacteria as they do their thing. So if I am letting the little guys decompose to their little hearts content are they not releasing more Methane if there are more of the cute little fuzzy bacterial fellows?
Please school me if I am wrong but both my biology and chemistry book learnin says different.

First all methane does not have an odor.   When the gas company pipes the stuff to your house, they add mercaptan (eu d' skunk) to the gas to warn people of its presence.

Sewage stinks are largely due to hydrogen sulfide and thiols produced when the sewage goes sour -- not a normal state.   Enzymes and bacterial products like Ridex help correct that.  So does filling the tank with water, dumping and starting again.

Jeff said:
It never fails! Bring up an RV toilet and its tank and we get two pages of discussion; mention man going to the moon and there are ten replies. ;D ;D

I wonder if they put anything in their black tank up there and what kind of TP they use?

Marc,

Here's the answer to your question, as told by someone who had been up there:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,17558.msg165424.html#msg165424

Diapers are used only on 3 specific occasions during a mission.

Jeff said:

Jeff, most of us have a much more intimate relationship with, and a much deeper understanding of, the RV toilet than we do the moon ;) :D

Tom said:
Marc,

Here's the answer to your question, as told by someone who had been up there:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,17558.msg165424.html#msg165424
Interesting.  I also read the rest of the post about the crouchers, reminded me of the urban legend about the guy with a one piece hooded snowsuit, you get the picture.

OK who wants the job of going up to the space station to fix their toilet, it seems to be plugged  :eek:  I wonder if they were using 1 or 2 ply paper, or chemicals????

1 out of 3 toilets quit working. I hope the one that broke is not the same one that's hooked to the drinking water maker that recycles liquid waste.

[size=10pt]Thanks a bunch!  I have the answer.

NOW!  Perhaps we should end this discussion as it can only go one Way - down the toilet!
[/size]

woodpidgeon said:
Coca cola and ( very expensive ) bottled tap water spring to mind.. and thats worldwide!  But on topic we have 2 houses both in the country with septic tanks.  They work in exactly the same way as RV black tanks ( as nature intended ) and I check then about once a year as they are in constant use.  To do this I remove a 24" x 18" cover to see inside.  You could put your head inside and all you would smell is a slight mustiness- not that I do it on a regular basis!  An RV holding tank works on the same natural proccess and if left alone no odors
gotta call the BS factor on this one, I have NEVER opened up a septic tank and not have a large odor problem while doing it. I use chemicals in the coach, but I am not a full timer, I use my flush fiting to fill up the black water after flushing. We also us electrasaw liquid in the sink, toilet, If coach sets very long, it helps clean the sensing rods.

kevin said:
gotta call the BS factor on this one, I have NEVER opened up a septic tank and not have a large odor problem while doing it. I use chemicals in the coach, but I am not a full timer, I use my flush fiting to fill up the black water after flushing. We also us electrasaw liquid in the sink, toilet, If coach sets very long, it helps clean the sensing rods.

I will agree on that, every time I opened the lid on the septic tank, it smelled.  But it does not smell in the house because there is always water in the toilet and sink traps to seal the air passage.  Same in my trailer, no smell inside because there is no way for the smell to come in, it goes up the vent stack on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom