correct way to use the toilet in the MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A local boat mechanic has the fix for opening a foul smelling head, head pump, or holding tank - he smears some Vicks under his nose.

I'd like to thank "everyone" for this post... We've owned our rig for all of 4 years ('94 Southwind,) and I've always thought we "needed" to use chemicals, as it was mentioned by the sales guy where we bought it. Most of what I've read on the subject stressed using only bio-friendly chemicals, but that the use of same was pretty much necessary. We've never had an odor problem to date, and having to keep the chems. on hand is annoying if not expensive, so this comes as good news. We also appreciate the tank cleaning suggestions offered. Great Post! 

We never use chemicals as well. I thought this interesting...... A few years ago, we stopped at a rv park in Wickenburg, AZ to dump. The manager asked if we used chemicals. I said no and asked why. She said that if we had they wouldn't let us dump, as they didn't want any chemicals in their system. The lesson here is that IF you DO use chemicals, don't dump your tank into your, or any friend's, septic system.

jackm said:
We never use chemicals as well. I thought this interesting...... A few years ago, we stopped at a rv park in Wickenburg, AZ to dump. The manager asked if we used chemicals. I said no and asked why. She said that if we had they wouldn't let us dump, as they didn't want any chemicals in their system. The lesson here is that IF you DO use chemicals, don't dump your tank into your, or any friend's, septic system.
you would have to use way more chemicals than your tank would hold to mess up a septic tank :) the biggest problem of any sewer system is the fact that we use way to many anti-bactery products that kill whay ya need for the septic tank to work right. One or even 2 full tanks from a mh would not hurt any system.

Yosemite/Mariposa KOA will let you 'dump' at dump-site if use chemicals --- BUT NOT HOOK UP to hook up at RV site. They say they have a very eco-sensitive'septic system.  How do they 'police' who does/doesn't use chem . OR Do/don't dump at RV site.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Its all marketing folks.

If I'm a chemical company and I can convince you that the only way to keep your black tank from smelling is to use a chemicals, that's money in my pocket. Then I sell you "special" RV toilet paper that plugs up your black tank so I can sell you a TP dissolving chemical. I make money off of you two times more.

Why do people think they have to use chemicals? Because every RV magazine they pick up tells them that they need to. Every "starter" package that RV dealers give you when you buy a new RV includes chemicals. Why? Because he sells chemicals and he wants you to buy them. You don't need them but he isn't going to tell you that. He wants to make money selling them to you.

Why isn't there a label on the toilet lid that says "USE NO CHEMICALS"? Because then people would know they don't need chemicals and the chemical companies and RV parts companies couldn't make money off you.

If RVIA would mandate that a label be placed by the toilet giving instructions on how to use the toilet people new to RVing would know not to use chemicals.

Do you realize how much stuff we buy that we have no use for but someone has convinced us that we can't live without it.

Thanks for writing this!  This is so true... the only tactic worse than the "marketing" (often in the form of a guilt trip) is the lobbyist going to the congress or the legislature and getting a law passed that requires us to buy their product

The one thing no one has mentioned in this "crappy" thread is the sensors. I bought a used Class C and the sensors didn't read properly. After about a month of using it full time with the blue junk the bathroom started smelling. I came to the forum to find out the solution and decided to go without chemicals. The bathroom lost it's odor and the sensors started working. Then I got a used Class A. The sensors didn't work until after about three months of going without the blue junk. It has never had an odor problem and now the sensors work. I am currently using the GEO system (Google it for more info). I use a cap full of water softener, a bit of dishwasher soap and a cup of bleach after I dump and I love the results. And the sensors keep on working properly.

Asmany times as I've seen a post similar to this one, I can't remember reading the dish soap trick to keep the sensors clean. I'm definitely gonna give that a try. Seems to make sense.

Does it harm the bacteria though?

I'm just a weekender ( every weekend but seasonal ). When would I add the soap? Just after dumping?

How much soap do you add?

Thanks !!

Lou Schneider said:
If needed, I'll dump the tanks when I first arrive at a site.  Otherwise, I'll connect the sewer hose but leave both the black and grey tank valves closed.   Both to keep sewer flies out of the tank (as mentioned above) and to collect water in the grey water tank..

THANK YOU, You just explained a year old problem we encountered in South Dakota.  We ended up with hundreds and hundreds of flies coming up through the shower when we parked.  I opened and left the grey open to shower.  Bad idea I know now.  Thanks.

It's ok to leave the gray tank drain open while hooked up to sewer but put a loop in the sewer hose to form a water trap, like a p-trap in a sink, to keep the flies and other things from getting into the holding tank.

mayfair said:
Asmany times as I've seen a post similar to this one, I can't remember reading the dish soap trick to keep the sensors clean. I'm definitely gonna give that a try. Seems to make sense.

Does it harm the bacteria though?

I'm just a weekender ( every weekend but seasonal ). When would I add the soap? Just after dumping?

How much soap do you add?

Thanks !!
electrasaw? liquid works great.

Can't I just use something like Dawn dishwashing liquid?

If so, how much?

Would using it really benefit me since my trailer doesn't move every weekend?

Dawn is a great degreaser but very sudsy and needs lots of rinsing. A low sudsing detergent is much better. Better yet, use an enzyme-based septic tank treatment that simply eats the crud away if you leave it in the tank a couple days..

RV Roamer said:
Dawn is a great degreaser but very sudsy and needs lots of rinsing.

Does it really matter if it needs a lot of rinsing? It's not like I'll be eating from the surface once it's cleaned?  ;D

Mayfair, a little info...

Does it really matter if it needs a lot of rinsing?

I am in the middle of the riddle. My sensors have been working great for a long time. Then I added some DAWN on my last rinse...lots of suds. I did not flush vigorously afterward and now my sensors are not reading properly. I believe that the suds stay behind and screw up the sensors for a long time.

My tank is rarely used so I know it is not paper hanging on the probes.

Soon I'll give it a super clean-out again and that should verify my suspicion.

I'll try non-sudsing Electrosol next time.

carson FL

Mayfair,

Most any automatic dishwasher soap is low sudsing. Electrosol is just one brand. You should be able to find it in the dishwashing soap section of any grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom